What mode?

Keith Harris

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just wondered what mode my fellow 5 drivers like to drive in on a long journey (200miles plus) I normally default to eco , but am I correct in doing this to eek out the miles. wot cha all think guys!

Your economy will be dominated by how you drive the car (cruising speed/acceleration) rather than the switch setting.

Your economy will be dominated by how you drive the car (cruising speed/acceleration) rather than the switch setting.
I always have an eye on economy, always try to keep the needle in efficiency. I think I do pretty well (much better than my wife) (don’t think she’ll read this 😱😱) .
just thought I might be missing a trick somewhere

I get the car into ready mode then put it into eco and kers3 and leave it there.
You wont get k3 until battery percentage has dropped to 96%.

I found keeping power in between 0 and 20%, not exceeding 30 mph, slower if possible has now enabled me to achieve 2.7 miles at 20.0 miles per kwh with one down hill section. My current record.

Econ / KERS2 or 3, everything else off.

As I drive it daily, it's my 'test track'

Just returned from Cornwall 230 miles. Got 4.2 m/kWh mainly in Eco Kers 3. Did try Eco Kers 1 also as I read it's best for motorway driving? Set out with 100% charge and at 50% I had done 116 miles so that's 232 real world motorway / dual carriageway at a steady 65ish. Pleased with the range on the 5LR. Big bonus was free charging for 3 weeks (1800 miles). Loving the EV life👍

I have never considered myself an "eco" driver but manged to get myself into the top 10% of owners when I had my LEAF. I also don't understand the complaints over the tyres with posts complaining of perpetual wheelspins (I have done it...once).

Economy is about how YOU drive, not the car.

question 1: how do you find the miles/kWh?

Question 2: how did you get free charging???

1 press the up or down arrow on the right of the steering wheel.
2 Tesco Podpoint but you need the app to 'confirm' the charge. Or some free from Bonnet plus my Asda has free BP Pulse again you need the app. Some multistorey car parks have free EVSE'S

Just wondered what mode my fellow 5 drivers like to drive in on a long journey (200miles plus) I normally default to eco , but am I correct in doing this to eek out the miles. wot cha all think guys!
Once you are cruising day 50mph plus if you switch to E,N or P seems the % used on the R/H of display seems to be the same.
It to me seems theses 3 settings alter the initial acceleration, thus " cruising" at fixed speed is going to be the same.
The Kers effects( or is is affects) the breaking again fixed speed dual carriageway/ motorway driving should not require too much braking.
Whereas sub 50 and B road town / country driving by using E and kers 3 you can save a lot.
My average in 620miles is 4.3m/kW mostly 1 driver 1 passenger, or 1 driver with equipment onboard equivalent to a 60kg passenger.
But for example today I have driven 20 miles from near Portsmouth to Winchester AVG consumption 5mikes/ KW.
This it would seem as all our miles to date at optimum " summer" air temperature, as after August the m/KW will be gradually declining

question 1: how do you find the miles/kWh?

Question 2: how did you get free charging???
1) m/KW - find the mph digital readout in the digital dash, press down arrow once- bottom right =current m/KW.
Press once again, bottom right= total m/kw

Surely if you are trying to maximise m/kWh you would use KERS1 rather than KERS3. If you want to slow from say 50mph to 30mph you will lift off the throttle earlier if you are in KERS1, therefore using less energy than if you stayed at the higher speed for longer so that you could use KERS3. This applies particularly in motorway driving where you generally have much better anticipation of slower traffic (or exits) ahead.

28p per Kwh in Forres Moray, slightly cheaper than charging at home 29p per Kwh. free charging at Tesco

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom