What OBD apps?

CanyonReveller

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hey all, what apps are you successfully using with your MG5 for reading data?

I haven't had much luck with the MG5 profiles on Car Scanner Pro for connecting to my UK 2021 pre-facelift MG5. However, I've managed to connect using a "Roewe eRX5" profile on car scanner pro. I can also connect using the "eZS" app. However, some of the data is odd, like the firmware version data. Have you had better luck with a different app?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-29-17-22-56-63_6c3649c0e80913619d728ac7fe39c2ba.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-29-17-22-56-63_6c3649c0e80913619d728ac7fe39c2ba.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 31
However, some of the data is odd, like the firmware version data.
It's sometimes odd on a ZS too. Some of the firmware version characters are non printable, like an FF byte that shows as something like a ÿ (y with two dots on top). Others are very long and that messes up the formatting in portrait mode. Finally, the firmware version number reporting process seems unreliable, so sometimes you get corrupted results. I have had to run it several times to get a complete clean set, and I then capture that screen for comparison after a service.

Last edited:
Hey all, what apps are you successfully using with your MG5 for reading data?

I haven't had much luck with the MG5 profiles on Car Scanner Pro for connecting to my UK 2021 pre-facelift MG5. However, I've managed to connect using a "Roewe eRX5" profile on car scanner pro. I can also connect using the "eZS" app. However, some of the data is odd, like the firmware version data. Have you had better luck with a different app?
Make sure you are choosing the EV profile and not the ICE one.

Thank you for your insight guys.

The landscape view does look a bit more normal, thanks Mickey!

I've tried running it a couple of times, but I still get the same result. Only the ESCL still looks a bit odd which, as you say Coulomb, might be a hexadecimal or another formatting thing.

I've tried every profile listed as an MG in car scanner to no avail. As I say, I don't think it's the OBD device - I've tried the nexlink, and icar as listed on here along with one that I had from my previous car. They all give the same result of connecting to the dongle, but not the ECU on every profile in carscannerpro that is directly MG related, but connecting to the ECU is fine on the "Roewe eRX5" profile. Unfortunately, the "Roewe eRX5" profile doesn't have the right PIDs setup, e.g. for battery health, so it isn't particularly useful.

Interestingly, the car scanner pro basic MG obd profile (that doesn't work with my car) says it uses SAE J1979/ISO 15031-5 to communicate. However, the stuff that works uses ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 500 kbaud) and an ECU Address of 7EB. These values seem more consistent with some of the facelift scans I've seen around on these forums. Perhaps a new profile will be made for that.

My pre-facelift does have the front radar sensor, so maybe they changed the ECU in some way for that.

Last edited:
MG5 profile works for me on Car Scanner. Perhaps your problem is with the OBD Device?
Mine fails to work with any MG5 profile on Car Scanner Pro as well. I have 2 OBD devices and neither connect. They connected fine with my previous ZS EV but both fail to connect with car using any MG5 profile.

I shall give the Roewe a bash.

Mine fails to work with any MG5 profile on Car Scanner Pro as well. I have 2 OBD devices and neither connect. They connected fine with my previous ZS EV but both fail to connect with car using any MG5 profile.

I shall give the Roewe a bash.
Good luck Gomev!

Please could you tell me exactly what model of car you have? Is it a pre-facelift with a front radar sensor?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom