What should i know before i buy?

I didn't appreciate the condition of the cars I viewed on Cinch . From minor to more major dents/scratches and even cracked windscreens . Seems I dodged the bullet by giving them a wide berth :)

Well i just returned to this thread as the time is getting very close to purchasing the MG5. I think i have already made a mistake as i am being given a Rolec Ev charger which is being installed on Friday. Is this charger compatible with Octopus EV tariff as somebody above mentioned only certain chargers were?
I will almost certainly be getting the Exclusive trim but struggling to find the LR locally and at a reasonable price so may go for SR. I dont need the longer miles for my daily work but would kinda like to know i have it if required.
Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Octopus Go (but not intelligent) will be compatible with your charge point.

Well i just returned to this thread as the time is getting very close to purchasing the MG5. I think i have already made a mistake as i am being given a Rolec Ev charger which is being installed on Friday. Is this charger compatible with Octopus EV tariff as somebody above mentioned only certain chargers were?
I will almost certainly be getting the Exclusive trim but struggling to find the LR locally and at a reasonable price so may go for SR. I dont need the longer miles for my daily work but would kinda like to know i have it if required.
Any other suggestions/recommendations?
Don't Luscombe Leeds have any longe-range MG5s?

Don't Luscombe Leeds have any longe-range MG5s?
I think they do but its 5 grand dearer than the SR one they have and the mileage difference isnt that great. I just dont see any real compelling reason to spend 5 grand more.

Octopus Go (but not intelligent) will be compatible with your charge point.
Ok i am not sure what the difference is in those tariffs so its now added to my research list, thank you.

Edit: well what a pain that is. I only get 4 hours of a “not quite the cheapest tariff” with my Rolec. This is not my finest hour. Silver lining is i arent paying for the charger or the install so i guess i can afford to pay a little extra for charging

Looks like e-on has a competitive tariff of 7 hours off peak at 8p pkwh so that might be the way to go.

I think they do but its 5 grand dearer than the SR one they have and the mileage difference isnt that great. I just dont see any real compelling reason to spend 5 grand more.

Ok i am not sure what the difference is in those tariffs so its now added to my research list, thank you.

Edit: well what a pain that is. I only get 4 hours of a “not quite the cheapest tariff” with my Rolec. This is not my finest hour. Silver lining is i arent paying for the charger or the install so i guess i can afford to pay a little extra for charging

Looks like e-on has a competitive tariff of 7 hours off peak at 8p pkwh so that might be the way to go.
I have the Rolec with a LR Exclusive and use the Octopus 4 hours of a “not quite the cheapest tariff”.

This is quite sufficient to add over 40% to the battery overnight. If you had the SR it would an even greater %age but of course no more miles.

If I need more e.g. for a long distance journey I simply charge overnight for 2 nights making sure I have at least 60% already the night before.

IMO if you can, go for the LR, you may find that extra range comes in handy especially when travelling long distances homeward bound. I have many times arrived home with small percentages left ready to fill at 'not quite the cheapest tariff' instead of having to top up en-route with definitely not cheap stuff'.

Around town and for short journeys there is nothing to be gained with a SR or a LR but on journeys the LR wins hands down.

I also note that at Luscombe's the LR are both less than 5000 mile vehicles whereas the SR are circa 25k and 30k. A considerable difference.

Last edited:
I bought an MG5 EV off Cinch and I would urge anybody thinking of buying from them, DO NOT DO IT!! This was my experience:
30 minutes prior to delivery I had a call saying they couldn't find the wheel bolt locking key and I could choose to delay delivery until they could obtain one or accept it and wait for the key to arrive. As I had paid for the car and insured it I decided on the latter.
On arrival I found that some plastic caps on the bolts were missing, but none of the wheels had locking bolts and that the car does not come as standard with them.
I was given no opportunity to drive the car on arrival, the delivery driver just wanted me to sign the acceptance form and be on his way. He did not know why there was no documentation with the car not even a handbook or service record.
On first driving the car I found a warning triangle was present on the screen which indicated a TPMS low warning signal. I went into the cars diagnostic system and found that the offside front tyre did not register a pressure but all other tyres were at 2.2. As the actual pressure in the tyre was the same as all others it was clear that the TPMS on that wheel was faulty.
I phoned Cinch which took almost an hour as I was placed on hold for about 15 minutes with a cacophony of noise playing, only to be cut off, and then having to redial, eventually getting through on the third attempt. (I have phoned Cinch at least 10 times since and have undergone the same marathon) I requested that I take the car to my local MG dealer just up the road but they insisted I take it to Quickfit. This I did and Quickfit found that the TPMS sensor was missing having been replaced with a standard valve at some time. They were unable to supply a new sensor or calibrate one if they could, lacking the right equipment. They inspected the tyres and reported the tread depth on the two front tyres was very low and not considered safe, so they took photos of the tyres. They contacted Cinch and got approval to replace them.
On getting home I phoned Cinch (you've guessed it) and requested that I take it to my local MG dealer to have the problem sorted. They said my local main MG dealer was not on their list and I should take it to their approved dealer the other side of Gloucestershire a very long journey. I protested at this as being unreasonable but after 2 days of frustration being swapped from one agent to another, on phone and email, one Agent agreed that I could use my local MG dealer if I obtained a quote, so they could send an order to the garage. This I did but was then told, when nothing happened after a while, that they were waiting to get approval. When I emailed them back to ask how long approval would take I received a reply saying we are temporarily closed and we will contact you on our return. This message was sent to me some 2 weeks ago and I have heard nothing.
This is a company that claims to sell cars with no Faff!! Don't fall for that one like I did.
I have had the TPMS replaced now at my own expense and all seems fine.
You might ask why I did not reject the car and get my money back, which at times I did consider, but their business plan is very crafty as it seems to revolve around once the customer has paid for the car, insured it, maybe taxed it, spent a long time finding the car and realising that returning it will be a faff, and if one reads the return procedure which has clauses in it which might make returning it quite protracted, then they are unlikely to return it. Getting the customer past the 14 day return guarantee would seem to be a beneficial ploy, even though statutorily I have heard you have a month to return it. What even more FAFF.
Tell them in writing you are formally rejecting the car as is your legal right within the first 30 days, that should make them sit up and take notice. If they don’t respond in the 30 days. Then in writing tell them you have rejected the car and it’s available for them to collect it at anytime and you expect an immediate refund.
This is your legal right and they cannot ignore it. Forget any condition like “14 day return” your rights exceed that.
All the best.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom