WHATS UNDER THE COVER ON AN MG5?

Ian MG5

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all
Just took a few photos of whatโ€™s under the cover under the bonnet of an Mg5 (I was fitting osram night breaker headlight bulb upgrade)
๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
C9866DEB-973C-4D96-BD2C-5D80DECFF26A.jpeg
4220895A-2CE7-45BE-A001-A86320BF1FC2.jpeg
95C9C8A6-8BBC-46C3-BDDC-53E2E4165091.jpeg

Took my frame off and fitted a box al la EV James and Kate. Got my Type 2 cable, some grit in a tub and a gallon of screen wash in there.

Very good
Thatโ€™s my next move to find a tub that fits in that space

I used a "very useful box" Will take a pic tomorrow. I fitted metal straps from the plastic frame anchor points to support it as I wasn't too sure about sitting the box on the thingy (technical term) covered in carpet at the bottom of the well.

For a while now Iโ€™ve been carrying my type 2 cable in my 5 Long Range under the bonnet on top of the motor cover. Just coiled up with a bunny cord stretched over it. Itโ€™s been there for weeks whilst weโ€˜ve covered 2500 miles and itโ€™s never moved an inch. I had a box fitted under my ZS (see separate reports) and found it very useful so I might try that exercise again - The question is - Does removal of the cover make for more noise transmitted into the car ?

That could be a bungee cord I think ๐Ÿค” ๐Ÿคฃ

I'm waiting for a third party moulded plastic tray to replace the cover, maybe with a lid too, Checking ali express but there's nothing coming from over there so far and the i5 has been out a while.

Because of the irregular shape & depth of this opening, methinks a canvas (or similar) bag might be more suitable here, tied around the top with cable clips to the frame. This would adapt to the opening perectly, be strong & secure, and stuff wouldnโ€™t rattle in it!

Here you go with the pics. Thumbnails as I didn't reduce them.
mgbox2.jpgmgbox1.jpg

Because of the irregular shape & depth of this opening, methinks a canvas (or similar) bag might be more suitable here, tied around the top with cable clips to the frame. This would adapt to the opening perectly, be strong & secure, and stuff wouldnโ€™t rattle in it!
I thought of this, or straps to hold the box in place but was worried that them flapping around might damage something. There's a lot of pipes and wiring spread around in there.

Last edited:
I used a "very useful box" Will take a pic tomorrow. I fitted metal straps from the plastic frame anchor points to support it as I wasn't too sure about sitting the box on the thingy (technical term) covered in carpet at the bottom of the well.
Iโ€™ve been studying Ianโ€™s pics trying to work out why the CCT unit is covered in carpet. All I can come up with is itโ€™s for sound insulation. If this is the case, then removing the top cover may increase the motor sound slightly, but there may be scope to increase the amount of insulation around this area if necessary.
(CCT=carpet covered thingy for the non-technically minded!)

Looks just the job
Do you know what dimensions of the box are
Cheers
Was hoping you wouldn't ask, it's cold out there.

40cm long by 38cm wide by 30cm deep.
You have a couple of cm leeway on length and width but 30cm deep is about the max.

I'm waiting for a third party moulded plastic tray to replace the cover, maybe with a lid too, Checking ali express but there's nothing coming from over there so far and the i5 has been out a while.
This is interesting. I took the cover off my MG5 today and couldn't believe how much room there was under the bonnet. I guess MG were not interested in spending the tiny bit extra to have a decent "frunkle" like Tesla's have? An aftermarket unit to fit in there would be great.. I'm not handy enough to do the modifications myself..
I have taken one suggestion from this thread on board and put my type 2 cable under the bonnet. Slightly worried it might be too squished or dent the cover but will monitor it..

How short of space can anyone be to feel the need to dismantle the front of their car and insert a container to store a type 2 cable? How full is your boot currently and how do you believe it's easier to open a bonnet rather than the tailgate? Where are you now storing the frame and cover you have removed? I can't help but think that we must have a load of bored middle aged retired engineers who for some reason have become obsessed with trying to make circles rounder!

How short of space can anyone be to feel the need to dismantle the front of their car and insert a container to store a type 2 cable? How full is your boot currently and how do you believe it's easier to open a bonnet rather than the tailgate? Where are you now storing the frame and cover you have removed? I can't help but think that we must have a load of bored middle aged retired engineers who for some reason have become obsessed with trying to make circles rounder!
To each his own, my boot is empty and I like it that way just so my dogs can get in without me having to move stuff. The charge port is at the front and now so is the cable, if you don't like the idea, then don't adopt it, however people having ideas and executing them is what makes peoples minds more active and can lead to better things. Keep inventing and having ideas everyone.

Even though I don't have the car yet (so probably shouldn't comment!) I think somewhere to put the type 2 cable rather than it rattling about it in the boot would make sense. When I travel to Belgium in mine next summer (Covid permitting and if the car has actually arrived by then) I will have my disabled daughter's portable bedroom in the boot, so somewhere else to store cables etc will be very handy. Although as a working teacher rather than a retired engineer I will probably go for just putting the type 2 cable on top of the cover!

I have to say my boot is more than big enough for everything I would normally carry. This is my first electric car and quite like the design of the cover and would never have thought of replacing it with a Plastic box or anything else more akin to an RV rather then EV.

I would think that someone with a 3d printer will devise something soon๐Ÿค”
PS are there supports at the back?

You're a glass half empty kind of guy aren't you?

My car is a company car, should really be a van and is used as such so chock full of tools / parts and other stuff. Having a dedicated space to store road related stuff is very useful for me.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom