What's your longest journey in your EV? How many charging stops?

One of, if not the longest EV trips I’ve made was to play a show in Harrogate, North Yorkshire a couple of years ago. I live in Kent so it’s about a 500-mile round trip.

I had an i3 at the time, which was good for about 100 motorway miles on one charge. Looking back, apparently I stopped twice on the way up and three times on the way back, which sounds about right.

I had a range extender and I don’t remember if I used it or not. Probably not (I always planned not to) but if I did, it would have been more likely on the way TO a show, when time is a lot more precious, rather than on the return leg.

Eastbourne to Hartlepool and back around 760 miles in an i3. 10 stops in all and met some interesting, friendly people during Rapid re-charging at Holiday Inns etc. Planned numerous alternative/backup charging points but just played it by ear as required and never risked getting too low. No problems with any faulty chargers but did have to queue around breakfast time near Northampton on a Sunday morning along with 2 other i3s. Loved every mile of it.

I had a i3 (my first EV) and enjoyed ownership.

I've had my ZS EV a little over 5 weeks now & covered the grand total of 81 miles o_O , Biggest single journey picking up the car in Wigan & driving back to the other side of Bolton. Essential journeys only in my neck o the woods yada yada yada, Never had any charging stops & probably wont ever use the public charging network unless I just want to try one :D such is my lifestyle since retiring a few years ago.(y) Long journeys will be covered by my love of using trains. :love:

130 miles from Bolton to Derby the day I got my MG5 no charges. It was a weird feeling having had a 24 leaf and a soul 30 that would have needed charging at least once in the motorway.

East London to Manchester, about 250 miles each way. 2 stops going up with some atrocious weather, but one coming back when warm and dry. I was surprised how much difference it made. I taught me about having a one or two stop strategy, (bit like a grand prix).
Another trip to Somerset with one stop but saving energy by going through the centre of London instead of M25, NO CONGESTION CHARGE.
Its been Polar all the way for me.

What with lockdown and everything, I've not had the chance to drive far at all in my ZS. I've recently played around with Zap-map to get a feel of route planning for an EV. One thing I know I'll miss on longer trips, compared to an ICE vehicle, is that I know I'll need to stop. Previously, on my bike or car, I'd hardly stop at all - I used to drive to Manchester a fair bit for work which was almost exactly a 5 hour trip each way, and unless I needed a pee stop, I'd do it in one hit (drive up, do work, drive home). Similalrly on my bike, riding into Wales before lockdown, I'd be able to ride for 8 hours straight on a favourite route, stopping once for fuel and a pee. I know my driving behaviour will have to change with an EV, and I also know I'll get frustrated at stopping on longer motorway journeys and driving a bit slower too!

Real test coming in a couple of weeks - 700 mile round trip with no chance of overnight charging where I’ll be staying. ABRP reckons it’ll take four stops each way. Yikes.

131 miles in October when I picked the car up from MG Chorley in Burnley. No stops or charges. Averaged about 3.7M/kWh @60mph where possible.

Had our ZS EV now since July 2020, covered nearly 8k miles all mostly local daily trips but longest was derby to southend on sea & back (total distance covered 244mks, 7hrs & numerous stops as it was in very cold snow weather), was a great journey only let down by Ecotricity!

Had our ZS EV now since July 2020, covered nearly 8k miles all mostly local daily trips but longest was derby to southend on sea & back (total distance covered 244mks, 7hrs & numerous stops as it was in very cold snow weather), was a great journey only let down by Ecotricity!
Sorry, I'm confused - google maps says that Derby to Southend on Sea is between 162 and 177 miles one way, depending on route...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom