When did trying to get a service become so bloody difficult?

macd2401

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
First service (going by the MG figures) is now due, having not long reached 10,000 miles. With work and life getting in the way, I'm now halfway through the thousand mile buffer they allow, so I swung by the dealers on the way home today.

First snag. £114. I checked just a few weeks ago, and it was £35. Nope, £114. Checked on the MG website under their service plans, and for my car, it's showing around the same price... to check the wheels haven't fallen off.:confused:

Ok, can you at least fit the mud flaps I've had on back order for the last 9 months? Oh, I'll need to email and see if we have them :rolleyes: That's been the same story since I bought the damn car.

Final snag. Yeah, we've not got any spaces for the next few weeks. But I've got a mileage limit the service has to be done within. Could maybe get you in a day early...

Oh well, time to either find another service agent (preferably within 400 miles) or just give up on the warranty 🤦‍♂️

I think 10k is the fit off for the low mileage rate.
15k or 1year. When did you get it and what mileage are you on now
If you don't get a MG service you won't get free the AA cover

First service (going by the MG figures) is now due, having not long reached 10,000 miles. With work and life getting in the way, I'm now halfway through the thousand mile buffer they allow, so I swung by the dealers on the way home today.

First snag. £114. I checked just a few weeks ago, and it was £35. Nope, £114. Checked on the MG website under their service plans, and for my car, it's showing around the same price... to check the wheels haven't fallen off.:confused:

Ok, can you at least fit the mud flaps I've had on back order for the last 9 months? Oh, I'll need to email and see if we have them :rolleyes: That's been the same story since I bought the damn car.

Final snag. Yeah, we've not got any spaces for the next few weeks. But I've got a mileage limit the service has to be done within. Could maybe get you in a day early...

Oh well, time to either find another service agent (preferably within 400 miles) or just give up on the warranty 🤦‍♂️
Service is one year or 15,000 miles whichever is soonest according to MG.
Screenshot_2021-02-13-13-37-52-131_com.android.chrome~2.jpg
Screenshot_2021-10-14-14-20-22-009_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

I give up. I've been on and off the MG website dozens of times since I got the car, and every time I go on, something else changes 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Guess I'm looking at the mileage being ok then, first year anniversary is the end of this month. Price is a bit of a joke for kicking the tyres.

In fairness, the AA cover doesn't bother me too much. It's keeping the warranty going that I'm more concerned about.

If service due at the end of this month then get a date for your car to be booked in immediately. You really don't want to lose out on the 7 year warranty.

Last edited:
I give up. I've been on and off the MG website dozens of times since I got the car, and every time I go on, something else changes 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Guess I'm looking at the mileage being ok then, first year anniversary is the end of this month. Price is a bit of a joke for kicking the tyres.

In fairness, the AA cover doesn't bother me too much. It's keeping the warranty going that I'm more concerned about.
Just booked my first service and was told they allow you up to a month after due date to do the service ' so 13 months after first registration ' .mine will be serviced at 54 weeks .it was the earliest slot they had with a courtesy car

£131.88 sounds a lot for my first 15,000 mile service, what do you guys think?
It's not much more for the petrol engined ZS!!!

I just looked at the service plans, was wondering if it was much cheaper, may not keep it long though so picked the shortest 12month plan popped in my reg and current mileage of 14,000.
It doesn't make sense what it's saying, any ideas???
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 20.53.32.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 20.53.06.png

My 4yr service plan on my ZS EV
ZS ELECTRIC 15k/1 year Service Oct 2021 8000 £106.20
ZS ELECTRIC 30k/2 year Service Oct 2022 16000 £197.90
ZS ELECTRIC 45k/3 year Service Oct 2023 24000 £106.20
ZS ELECTRIC 60k/4 year Service Oct 2024 32000 £339.77

We just checked and I got a three year MG AA back-up with the car, bought new last month, I checked with AA directly and the car reg is on their system till 2004. Which reading here, I assume is upon appropriate and timely MG agent servicing. That's a 90 mile round trip - once a year is ok though.

Can you not get the car serviced anywhere other than with MG to keep the warranty?

Cleevely for example should be able to provide a service that is acceptable, sure you lose the AA, but that's about it

What I don’t understand is why do they not supply a service book to keep tabs on the schedules?

Quite agree apparently its all on computer now. What if you want to buy a different brand. Just make sure you keep the invoices.

Service records should be accessible online by the owner of the vehicle surely? After all the vehicle isn’t owned by the garage!
You can ask for a copy of the records, I had a service sheet passed to me with my first service anyway.

Finally gave up and bought a service plan. Should have probably done that from the start.

Got 2 quotes. One from the dealership who sold me the car, and one from another branch of the same dealership, just a bit further away. The 2nd quote was consistently cheaper on every service, between £20 and £40, even though it was all the same info put in. Very strange 🤔

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom