Which energy providers for an EV owner?

Ian

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
We are in the process of moving home and just waiting for our new ZS EV to be delivered next week.

As such we are taking a look at all our utility providers not least Electrical.

We are with OVO at the moment and can leave at any time, they are charging us £80 for 700 KWh vs Octopus Energy at considerably less!

Has anyone used Octopus Energy and are they a fair supplier in general as well as an EV power provider?

We would be obliged for anyone's thoughts and experience.

Thanks
Ian & Rita

I just changed over to Octopus when I got my car, in January. They're excellent, and are saving us a HUGE amount in overall electricity costs, not just for the car. We were fortunate in that we already had a "Secure" brand smart meter, so we were able to move over to Agile tariff immediately, once we'd switched to them.

Thanks for the comment, that reassuring and good to hear, This was our initial feeling on checking the Octopus site and looking forward to further comments. Thanks :) (y)

Octopus at present are taking so many new customers at present that i think there staff are having a few issues keeping up to speed with customer service or getting accounts together.

Have a look at EDF on the Zap map website as they are doing a good deal for EV drivers. The low tariff of 8p is all over the weekend...I’ve signed up with them and will then get my smart meter fitted.

We’ve just changed our domestic supplier to Bulb but, when I enquired about the installation of Economy 7, but it seems that there’s a very long lead time for Economy 7 meters. I wonder if anyone else has encountered this?

I’ve just moved from Bulb or in the process of moving to EDF as advertised on Zap-Map as the low rates apply all over the weekend 24/7 and not just in the evening. Also the bulb rate from 16.30 to 19.00 hours if memory recall correctly is really high like 40p per KWH...

I’ve just moved from Bulb or in the process of moving to EDF as advertised on Zap-Map as the low rates apply all over the weekend 24/7 and not just in the evening. Also the bulb rate from 16.30 to 19.00 hours if memory recall correctly is really high like 40p per KWH...

Thank you Mark.... useful information!

Just came across this advert for OVO:

Free Polar Plus Membership
Perfect for charging on the go or if you can’t charge at home.

• Worth £188 over 2 years
  • Power up at thousands of UK charge points from the Cornish coast to the Scottish highlands
We got an on line quote for the supply as we are already with OVO and its a wee bit cheaper but the POLAR membership seems to soften the blow by £188 and lowered or monthly tariff D/D based on the same consumption, by £17 a month !! Be interested in comments. U SWITCH is offering all sorts of options, and as we are moving home shortly were looking for the best deal, All very interesting re EV charge rates.

We're now on Octopus Agile and have been for the last 3 weeks or so. So far we've paid so much less for our electricity that it's just amazing!!! not only the overnight tariff (which has even gone NEGATIVE on a couple of occasions) but during the day as well. We can top up the storage heaters at 3 o'clock in the afternoon for the same price as the economy 7 of my previous supplier! The only drawback is that on Agile, the economy 7 switched output on the meter stays on all the time, so I have to switch the storage radiators on and off at the dedicated consumer unit every night. Have ordered a wifi programmable isolator switch for them... You need a smart meter in order to use Agile (as they pick up half-hourly usage figures from the meter) but fortunately we already had a "Secure" branded meter with our previous supplier, which works with Octopus.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom