Which EV route planning app do you prefer please?

Which route planner do you prefer and why please?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My uncle never used to use maps or even look at one when navigating around the country and it used to drive us mad because it would take a lot longer then necessary.
He used to be a cricket umpire and would navigate via cricket grounds even if it meant coming off the bypass and back on again further along.

In Bristol, all the road signs are behind trees and bushes, so you don't know you are in the wrong lane or have missed your turning until you've gone past it. :)
Sheffield and Plymouth no longer have this problem thanks to their go-ahead, forward thinking councils...

I use Zap-map but it is not on your list🤣
Yes I use Zap-map too but only because it was one of the first to provide the service, and although I’ve had the ZS over three years, I must only have done about half a dozen long trips requiring charging away from our Zappi.

Agreed all the way. When I get a phone that will support Android Auto I'll try its satnav. I've just never had one and never particularly needed it. I like knowing in advance where I'm going, and Google Streetview is very handy on that one.

I could probably do with a satnav this evening, if it was a good one, because finding this car park in Glasgow city centre could be tricky, but I expect I'll manage.
I thought you might be an iPhone girl rather than Android. :D
However if you do have Android, Google says 'If you have Android 9 or below, get the Android Auto app on your phone from Play Store. With Android 10, Android Auto is already built in—so you don’t need the app to get started.

I have Android 8. We've been through this, my phone won't support it. I've had it four years, it was a cheap model but it does all I want it to, or did until now.

I guess it's time for an upgrade, although to be honest if it would only export my contacts list to the car I'd probably just go on putting up with it!

I have Android 8. We've been through this, my phone won't support it. I've had it four years, it was a cheap model but it does all I want it to, or did until now.

I guess it's time for an upgrade, although to be honest if it would only export my contacts list to the car I'd probably just go on putting up with it!
I'm so sorry for mentioning it if we've already been through this, I'll try and remember all the details from your posts in future.

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. I just meant, it's a known issue, no need to try to help at this stage because I know for sure it won't support it.

Which route planner do you prefer and why please?

I thought I’d ask as going on holiday down to St Austell, and have a few butterflies over the limited number of charge points in the West Country, coupled with the fact we will be taking delivery of our first EV MG ZS TLR two days before hand.

We have all the apps loaded and cards at the ready!

Thanks for all comments

Typo with Zapmap sorry 🫠
Just returned from Cornwall. we have Octopus Energy so the Electroverse card is great as it covers many chargers it also shows some chargers that are not on Zap Map so I use both.
Exeter Services MOTO have a bank of Tesla and also Gridserve chargers, Gridserve are installing a lot more chargers there the base footings are already installed and they were cabling it up.
However for preference I tend to use the non-motorway services chargers there are many showing on the map these tend to be aliitle way off the motorway but tend to be quieter and with cheaper food coffee.
Use the apps to plan your route maybe a day or so before you leave.
On my recent trip we did a top up charge at Exeter Services If you choose this stop it should allow you range enough to take you right into Cornwall with charge to spare.
However Its always best if you can charge at your destination I used the granny charger on an extention lead out of the window of the holiday cottage and by prior arrangement paid for the electricity I used by taking a meter reading before and afterwards it worked out at £12 to top up to 80% before heading back to rapid charge at Exeter on the return journey.
Zap map is very good but the comment are from those who have most had issues which can be good but may cause alarm. Its interesing to see how many Geniepoint chargers are out of order I think they are struggling and tend to avoid.
The Electroverse app is live just like Zap Map so you can see which chargers are in use and which are free (however you dont know others intended routes or times). On all occations our ZS Trophy charged to, and over 80% before we had finished our coffee/ comfort break in fact on one occation we were still in line at Costas waiting to be served. (I went and moved the car to free up the charger for someone else).

Last edited:
Just returned from Cornwall. we have Octopus Energy so the Electroverse card is great as it covers many chargers it also shows some chargers that are not on Zap Map so I use both.
You don't have to be an Octopus Energy customer to have an Electric Universe card. Just link a payment card in the app.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom