Which EV route planning app do you prefer please?

Which route planner do you prefer and why please?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Electroverse suits me well, routes are good, tells me costs, availability etc. Checked against other planners and its good, simple and I get discounts with Octopus being my home supplier, it also covers most of the continent. Another plus is that their card works on multiple suppliers (shell etc) and does not require any pre authorisation charges, it is added to my home bill directly.

Last edited:
I took out a premium membership to ABRP, but am regretting it already. It is a cumbersome non-intuitive pile of...well, you know. I think it must have been written by the same people who produced the hopeless ISmart app!

It's just horrible to use and never seems to work as described. I can't even get it to plot a route that will include tthe charging station that I want to use, as it just ignores any inputs I give it. The only reason I have stuck with it up until now is that it works with Android Auto.

It's a great idea in principle - if it worked as intended, but ABRP has just been poorly implemented and I don't have the time or patience to put up with it I'm afraid!

I'll use ZapMap and dead reckoning from now on.
ABRP premium with a OBD2 seems to function ok. We all have our preferred apps. 😀

Luddite here. AA Routefinder to get an idea of the options and the distance, have a look as OS Premium Topo to get details, especially of the final few miles before the destination, and print out a screenshot of that last bit. Also look at Google Streetview for any tricky-looking turnings. Then have a look at ZapMap to see what the options are re charging, and have maybe plan A, plan B and plan C thought out.

Luddite here. AA Routefinder to get an idea of the options and the distance, have a look as OS Premium Topo to get details, especially of the final few miles before the destination, and print out a screenshot of that last bit. Also look at Google Streetview for any tricky-looking turnings. Then have a look at ZapMap to see what the options are re charging, and have maybe plan A, plan B and plan C thought out.
Blimey !
I press a button and say Navigate to ........ and it does.

To be honest I use ABRP to plan and get an idea of where to charge. I then use Apple Maps (Carplay) to do the actual navigation.
I'm sure you personally will have a better idea of where you need to charge than ABRP which vastly underestimates the car's ability.

Blimey !

I'm sure you personally will have a better idea of where you need to charge than ABRP which vastly underestimates the car's ability.
It’s more about helping me find chargers on a route I have not done before.

Blimey !

I like maps, and OS maps in particular. I like to know where I am, and where I'm going. I like to get a route into my head and then drive it, hopefully without looking at a map at all while I'm rolling.

At least satnavs have stopped directing drivers to leave the A702 about 100 yards before the real turning into my village, going down a steep and narrow street and through a fairly deep ford, to save about 50 yards on the trip.

I like maps, and OS maps in particular. I like to know where I am, and where I'm going. I like to get a route into my head and then drive it, hopefully without looking at a map at all while I'm rolling.

At least satnavs have stopped directing drivers to leave the A702 about 100 yards before the real turning into my village, going down a steep and narrow street and through a fairly deep ford, to save about 50 yards on the trip.
What can possibly more fun than facing-off a massive tractor down a narrow Cornish country lane with no passing points. It’s times like these that the 50 yard saving makes you want to SCREAM!!! 😫.

But then back in the 60’s while my late Dad was driving us down to Crantock he took a detour. We ended up in a farm yard after what seems ages driving down very narrow country lanes in the family Bedford CA van. Slide doors open, no seat belts, with me and my two brothers playing boards games the back at a picnic table wonderful happy times 😀

I like to use Google Street View if I'm going somewhere I haven't been before. I did it when I went to Hounslow West Underground Station car park and worked out where the entrance and exits where.

(Mind you, God help you if you try that at the magic roundabout in Swindon. :))

I like to use Google Street View if I'm going somewhere I haven't been before. I did it when I went to Hounslow West Underground Station car park and worked out where the entrance and exits where.

(Mind you, God help you if you try that at the magic roundabout in Swindon. :))

I agree. Tomorrow I'm going to shoot for a multi-storey car park in Glasgow I haven't used before, and I'll circle the block a couple of times on Streetview so I know where the entrance is and how to find it.

What can possibly more fun than facing-off a massive tractor down a narrow Cornish country lane with no passing points. It’s times like these that the 50 yard saving makes you want to SCREAM!!! 😫.

But then back in the 60’s while my late Dad was driving us down to Crantock he took a detour. We ended up in a farm yard after what seems ages driving down very narrow country lanes in the family Bedford CA van. Slide doors open, no seat belts, with me and my two brothers playing boards games the back at a picnic table wonderful happy times 😀

The best one I heard was second-hand from a friend who was waiting for a ferry somewhere on the west coast of Scotland when a guy drove up looking quite confused. Turned out that his satnav had calculated a route for him which involved THREE ferry crossings, without him having any idea he needed CalMac's assistance for watery bits.

Somewhat amazingly, the harbourmaster contacted the other two ports where he was going to need to catch a ferry, told them about the situation, and they agreed to hold the relevant ferries so the guy could catch them.

Here's the one I was talking about. You can see that if you're approaching the village from the south-west, and heading for that fork in the road at the bottom of the image, just beyond the "church with spire" symbol, how it might seem to a brainless satnav to be a good idea to turn right at the "church without spire or tower" symbol and head for - a watery grave. (To be fair, it's probably more than 50 yards shorter. Just a whole lot longer in the time needed - to fish you out of the river.)

1687524424307.png

1687607543793.png

Last edited:

I think most of us 'more mature' members here know where places are in this country. We are from the generation(s) that were taught geography that included land and where places are. (It amazes me when I see younger people on TV quizzes that have no idea where towns/cities/counties etc. are in this country, or even where different countries in Europe that they go on holiday to are, or the world actually).
We are also veterans of motoring from way before satnav and so having to use a map to navigate anywhere. We still keep a road atlas in the car, just so we can 'get our bearings' in unfamiliar territories and plan days out whilst on holiday.
Progress can be a wonderful thing though. Satnav is brilliant at guiding me to where I want to be in those final few miles to the doorstep. Combine with finding the exact location with What3words and navigating to that takes you direct to the very spot.
Most of us don't need satnav to get from Town A to Town B, just that last bit in unfamiliar locations. Much easier than multiple stops to check A-Z books or ask the local that hasn't a clue. Also a physical map can't tell me there is an unexpected major hold up ahead on my route and redirect me to avoid it, one very very good reason for using a satnav with traffic updates.
:)

I think most of us 'more mature' members here know where places are in this country. We are from the generation(s) that were taught geography that included land and where places are. (It amazes me when I see younger people on TV quizzes that have no idea where towns/cities/counties etc. are in this country, or even where different countries in Europe that they go on holiday to are, or the world actually).
We are also veterans of motoring from way before satnav and so having to use a map to navigate anywhere. We still keep a road atlas in the car, just so we can 'get our bearings' in unfamiliar territories and plan days out whilst on holiday.
Progress can be a wonderful thing though. Satnav is brilliant at guiding me to where I want to be in those final few miles to the doorstep. Combine with finding the exact location with What3words and navigating to that takes you direct to the very spot.
Most of us don't need satnav to get from Town A to Town B, just that last bit in unfamiliar locations. Much easier than multiple stops to check A-Z books or ask the local that hasn't a clue. Also a physical map can't tell me there is an unexpected major hold up ahead on my route and redirect me to avoid it, one very very good reason for using a satnav with traffic updates.
:)

Agreed all the way. When I get a phone that will support Android Auto I'll try its satnav. I've just never had one and never particularly needed it. I like knowing in advance where I'm going, and Google Streetview is very handy on that one.

I could probably do with a satnav this evening, if it was a good one, because finding this car park in Glasgow city centre could be tricky, but I expect I'll manage.

In Bristol, all the road signs are behind trees and bushes, so you don't know you are in the wrong lane or have missed your turning until you've gone past it. :)

Satnav is good for traffic management. I will often have it on where there are multiple routes, all of which I know where to drive from memory, but where I don't have knowledge of the current traffic situation.

Glasgow centre can be tricky when you don't know all the one way systems.

Isn't it just! I know the streets well from walking them since I was eleven years old, but I don't remember all the one-way rules. I was with my friend in her car once crossing the city centre and she just automatically turned this way and that till we were at our destination. It's a skill.

I managed though. Just remember that Hope Street is northbound only. Which I should do, as I visit the Theatre Royal a lot. I had a printout of a Google Maps screenshot that had the one-way streets marked, but I didn't need to use it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom