• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Which! Omission - leaves MG 5 out of the reckoning

Valiant5

Established Member
Reaction score
There's a glaring oversight in the Which! Car Guide, published with the February edition of the magazine.

The supplement covers segments of the car market from city models to MPVs, with technical data for scores of models and star ratings, as well as features on subjects including hybrids and BEVs.

As the owner of a new MG 5 Excite, I turned with interest to the pages on estate cars, realising that lead times for the guide would probably rule out any detailed coverage, but expecting at least a mention for the UK's first and only electric estate so far.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I read this paragraph at the head of the Test Lab Buyer's Guide: "Did you spot what's missing? An electric estate. We know of only one, the Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo, due in 2021."

Well, yes, I did spot what was missing! Which! prides itself on its thorough research, but the consumers' champion failed miserably here. The 5 was trumpeted earlier in 2020, with specifications and prices announced late summer, so to overlook the only BEV estate seems remarkably careless.

Our ZS EV owners fared no better, with no reference to a car well regarded by them and which is racking up sales at an ever-growing rate.

Considering the negative publicity Which! generated for the 5 with its online coverage of Roofbargate, fair enough, its omission of the MG marque in the car guide is disappoin
IMG_20210124_182316776.jpg
ting, to say the least. Which! did, however, give a decent YouTube review of the 5, earlier this month.

That's an incredible omission given that the MG5 is objectively the best value EV out there right now in terms of miles of range vs actual purchase price.

Some one should write and complain, I wrote to Zap-Map for a similar reason, but never had a reply....

Well Les was quoted, I recall, in the Which! Roofbargate publicity.

I am going to write to Which! myself, as my wife is a member of the Consumers' Association, which published the magazine.
Sorry this WHICHEV Magazine you show in your post is a totally different company and is not connected to the Consumer Association and don’t publish this magazine.
So your letter may have been sent to the wrong address.
Les

Sorry, Les, but the car guide I am talking about is, as I said, a supplement of the main Which! Magazine, published by the Consumers' Association. I can assure you that my feedback letter went to the correct address.

Sorry, Les, but the car guide I am talking about is, as I said, a supplement of the main Which! Magazine, published by the Consumers' Association. I can assure you that my feedback letter went to the correct address.
Hi Valiant and all in the forum
Sorry you where right Valiant I do apologise for my post
Les

That's ok, Les, it's confusing having this plethora of magazines, websites, forums, YouTube and other reviews....but also very useful when trying to find out more about a potential car purchase.

Which! did at least pick up on your concerns about the roofbars fiasco, so it seemed odd they were unaware of the MG 5 before then. Well done again 👍

Thank you very much Valiant, your right it’s certainly has been a fiasco that should never had happened.
If MG head office had been up front in the first and got the issue sorted out when I reported what I had found in the handbook back in November 20 they had plenty of time to do something about it before I took it further with the DVSA and Which and I did tell I would do so there only response was no changes will be made to the car or the specifications.
But I’m afraid Stewart Right still thinks I was premature in taking action, said so again on his pod cast 25th January. Somebody had to have ago at MG at their head office, not the dealers, some off them didn’t even know you could not put anything on the roof apparently , and might have still be selling the accessories to fit on the roof bars that in the MG handbook says “ Might cause an accident “ anyhow I think you know the story my mistake.
Thanks again
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom