Which one do you use?

Mine creeps, will see how fast it goes in reverse at the weekend. Does kers3 work in reverse and flash the headlights?

I normally just keep my foot on the brake.

How does the auto hold work? I need to enable it (everytime I turn the car off like kers?) and then when I come to a stop I can take my foot off the brake and the car won't creep?

In regards to auto hold, is it ok to use it all times? I'm asking as my previous electric car didn't "creep" and I'm sort of use to it, auto hold would sort of make mg5 "not creep".

Creeping is one of the few things I really don't like about the MG5. It feels unncessecary to me and is asking for accidents when the car just starts moving. I live in hope there will some day be a software update to disable it but I know that day won't come.

Creeping is one of the few things I really don't like about the MG5. It feels unncessecary to me and is asking for accidents when the car just starts moving. I live in hope there will some day be a software update to disable it but I know that day won't come.
Sometimes I find that auto-hold is on when I drive, sometimes it's not - I only notice when I stop. Not figured out the how or why.

But, with auto-hold on, the car won't creep when stopped at traffic lights, junctions, etc. Once you come to a standstill, the symbol for auto-hold appears on display (a green 'P?) and you can take foot off brake

I understood EVs don't naturally creep, and it has been built-in so people used to driving autos aren't disappointed.

I also heard they can go as fast backwards as forwards except they are limited.

Both seem to make sense, though I am not especially technical.
yeah - I never understood why an EV would creep. It's not as if the engine has to be 'running'. I also assumed it was so that it felt like other automatic cars (even though technically, it's fixed gear, not automatic shift). Surprised it's not an 'option' in the menus. Guess that's more development though. They would then need to design a new full screen graphic to tell you if the car was creeping or not...

I've never owned an automatic though so it did seem stranger to me.

yeah - I never understood why an EV would creep. It's not as if the engine has to be 'running'. I also assumed it was so that it felt like other automatic cars (even though technically, it's fixed gear, not automatic shift). Surprised it's not an 'option' in the menus. Guess that's more development though. They would then need to design a new full screen graphic to tell you if the car was creeping or not...

I've never owned an automatic though so it did seem stranger to me.
Creep is handy for parking in a tight spot, you don't have to keep going from accelerator to brake when manoeuvring.

Another foot on the brake man here. I have only had automatics for quite sometime. I always use creep whether starting back or forward, I would be lost without it. It could also be why I never get wheel spin, only applying acceleration gradually after creep bites, as I am retired and never in a hurry to go anywhere. The hill hold feature gets a lot of use here in Bath, this is very useful.

I don't currently have an mg but if I'm stuck in traffic or in lights i switch epedal on in my leaf (1 pedal driving). the mg equivalent is auto hold, and that's what i will use when I get my zs.

This might be the unique improved feature on MG5, hill hold is better than my Lexus Ls400, jaguar xj Sovereign and my BMW 750I all, I hasten to add all company cars and automatics

Last edited:
Don't think anyone else has mentioned this, but I've read somewhere, maybe in the manual, that just holding the car with the footbrake should be avoided because it puts strain on the transmission.

I always used P until recently when my eldest son also bought a 5 and told me he used the autobrake all the time, particularly when driving around Edinburgh. I now use that most of the time, although, as others have said, the car does start with a very slight jolt, so when I am in tight spaces I revert to P

Don't think anyone else has mentioned this, but I've read somewhere, maybe in the manual, that just holding the car with the footbrake should be avoided because it puts strain on the transmission.
I remember reading something like that, but I remember reading it differently and can't find it now.

I'm sure it said you shouldn't use the MOTOR to hold the car on a hill (i.e. by supplying enough power to stop the car from rolling backwards, but not enough to set off) as that could damage something. Probably as it's pumping power through the motor but not actually moving it so it could overheat.

Found it - P161. Is this what you meant?
Screenshot 2022-01-14 082042.png

There is another warning about 'riding the brake' causing damage and overheating, but that's sitting with your foot on the brake whilst moving, not whilst stopped.

In regards to auto hold, is it ok to use it all times? I'm asking as my previous electric car didn't "creep" and I'm sort of use to it, auto hold would sort of make mg5 "not creep".
Why wouldn't it be ?

I always used P until recently when my eldest son also bought a 5 and told me he used the autobrake all the time, particularly when driving around Edinburgh. I now use that most of the time, although, as others have said, the car does start with a very slight jolt, so when I am in tight spaces I revert to P
I find if it only really jolts if you are in Eco mode, in Normal it works fine.

I used auto hold today for the first time - it felt more like a "normal" car - I was a pleasant surprise to realise I could have been doing this all along. But after these few months of using it I actually kinda missed the creep and think I'll go back 🙈

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom