Which one do you use?

Well I never - you learn something every day on these forums 🙂
To be honest years ago it took me weeks to program my left foot away from clutch pressure to left foot brake pressure (for paddleshift single seaters and supercars on track days) so I'm probably not pressing it really hard at gradient junctions, just enough to hold it.

Personally I find the creep a little too strong, I'm often fighting against it trying to come to a gentle stop. So I've taken to flicking into neutral once I get below 5mph. As you don't get any regen at all at lower speeds you actually save energy by rolling.

Once stopped, if it's more than 4-5 seconds then it's EPB and foot off the brake so as to avoid blinding the person behind me. Once the EPB is on, I flick back into D ready to pull away.

If I want to pull away quickly then I'll hold the brake pedal with my left foot and release the EPB allowing me to put my foot down as I release the brake.

I find Autohold does exactly the opposite of what I want. It keeps the brake lights on the whole time and it's so slow to release.

I avoid using P unless necessary; I've had a few occasions where it hasn't registered that I've pressed it and the car has crept forward unexpectedly when I released the brake. I've also seen that people have had issues with the P peeling off so I try not to touch it. Turning the car off effectively puts it in P anyway so I often just do that.

You flick to neutral while moving, do you also flick into drive while move and is it safe to this for the drive motor etc.

it's a (2) from me.

just a bit of background for any that aren't aware.

(1) (press the P button) is effectively putting the car into Park mode. Handy if you want to be sure that catching the accelerator won't move the car, but probably overkill otherwise.
(2) is the EPB (that's the Electronic Parking Brake). It can be used in an emergency brake, but that's not it's primary function.
(3) That's Auto-Hold. The idea is that you just switch it on and let it do it's thing. Basically, it gets rid of 'creep' once you have stopped. It uses hydraulics (or something) to hold the brake pedal down for you once you have stopped. When you press the accelerator it'll just let go and set off, same as (2). No need to turn (a) on and off as you're driving. Also, if you're stopped for too long (not sure if that's 30s or a minute) it then puts the EPB on and lets the brake pedal go, so effectively you're back at (2) anyway.

Things may have changed since I took my driving test, but I was taught to apply the parking brake and let off the foot brake when at lights or stopped in traffic. That has stayed with me regardless of electric or hand operated parking brake. As you say though, with electric ones, you don't need to find the bite point with the clutch (if you have one...) and you just go. It releases automatically. As a side note though, the switch is a bit too far back and less accessible on the MG5 than it has been on any of my previous cars.

The only thing that stops me using 3 is that it's not particularly intelligent with the brake lights. I don't like dazzling the driver behind but whilst auto hold has it held on the foot brake the lights stay on.
I was just beginning to enjoy using Auto hold and wondering if I should check what it did to the brake lights. I don't like dazzling the driver behind so I'm disappointed to learn that the Auto- hold function keeps the lights on. For me I will revert to using the Electronic Parking Brake. For what it's worth I once took some German guests out in the car and they asked why I applied the handbrake of my automatic at traffic lights. I explained I did it as a courtesy to the people behind and they told me they were taught to keep their foot on the brake pedal for safety reasons.

Personally I find the creep a little too strong, I'm often fighting against it trying to come to a gentle stop. So I've taken to flicking into neutral once I get below 5mph. As you don't get any regen at all at lower speeds you actually save energy by rolling.

Once stopped, if it's more than 4-5 seconds then it's EPB and foot off the brake so as to avoid blinding the person behind me. Once the EPB is on, I flick back into D ready to pull away.

If I want to pull away quickly then I'll hold the brake pedal with my left foot and release the EPB allowing me to put my foot down as I release the brake.

I find Autohold does exactly the opposite of what I want. It keeps the brake lights on the whole time and it's so slow to release.

I avoid using P unless necessary; I've had a few occasions where it hasn't registered that I've pressed it and the car has crept forward unexpectedly when I released the brake. I've also seen that people have had issues with the P peeling off so I try not to touch it. Turning the car off effectively puts it in P anyway so I often just do that.
You and I are almost complete opposites.
I never think about regeneration and I feather the brake pedal to get a smooth stop.
if I am stopped at traffic lights I put the car in park and switch to drive when lights change.
it took me twenty years of driving automatics to stop using my left foot on the non existent clutch when braking and so I never use my left foot in the MG5.
I never even think about my brake lights and I like the slow release of the hold feature which suits my driving style.
I have used P since buying the car without a single hitch, I have never touched the handbrake and leave car in P when stationary.
interesting how different individuals use their cars.

For what it's worth I once took some German guests out in the car and they asked why I applied the handbrake of my automatic at traffic lights. I explained I did it as a courtesy to the people behind and they told me they were taught to keep their foot on the brake pedal for safety reasons.
I'm sure I was taught that you would keep your foot on the brake, till someone is stopped behind you, to alert following cars that you are stopped/applying brakes. If there is no one behind you, it won't disturb anyone. Once there is a car stopped behind you, you can apply the handbrake, and stop the lights shining on the car behind and the brake lights are no longer providing a safety function as there is a stationary car behind you.
Perhaps this is all a bit too involved ?

It's going to be interesting how the UK Driving Test changes over the coming years as manual gearbox cars are surely going to be a thing of the past given all new cars will be EVs - and are there manual version of any? I guess none with a clutch, etc? So, will everyone essentially be sitting the 'automatic' version of the driving test and only getting that license type?

I suspect in 10 years time, the majority of vehicles will be Auto, I guess a Manual License will be possible, but most will be passing in automatics only.

A question is how the test will adapt to modern driving aids, will they insist you turn them off for the test, or will they test that you can use them properly. When I passed my test, during the 3 point turn you was tested on checking your sight lines and mirrors, with many cars now fitted with reversing cameras will you penalised for using them, or penalised for not using them?

I mainly use auto hold, but I switch it off when parking or in queuing traffic and use foot brake so I can use the creep

I'm sure I was taught that you would keep your foot on the brake, till someone is stopped behind you, to alert following cars that you are stopped/applying brakes. If there is no one behind you, it won't disturb anyone. Once there is a car stopped behind you, you can apply the handbrake, and stop the lights shining on the car behind and the brake lights are no longer providing a safety function as there is a stationary car behind you.
Perhaps this is all a bit too involved ?
I think autohold keeps the brake lights on?

Hi
I select auto hold and leave it activated when driving (I live in a hilly area and its great). Knowone beats the MG on takeoff!
An important note if you have auto hold selected and then try to reverse park or similar you will find things to be jerky and make manovering a bit tricky. ALWAYS dissengage autoparking mode when manovering in a confined space.
Like many people at the begining I hit the P button when stopped at lights then I discovered the auto park button! Bliss

I must say if I found that brake lights on on the car in front were dazzling me, I'd at least get an opticians appointment, if not think it was about time I hung up the keys!! :)

Rear fog lamps is another matter though.

One thing I have noticed about auto hold is it keeps the brake light on when in use and is holding the vehicle.

Ah, old news, Petriixs' post already told you that 😄😄🥴

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom