Who is your MG WARRENTY backed by and is it transferable?

BarryH

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Is your Warranty with your Dealer or MG Motors Ltd? Is it worth the paper it is written on?
My daughter and I both own and drive MG ZS EVs. While I bought mine ZS New locally she bought her car preregistered from a Chorley Group dealer 250 miles from where we live. I have had my annual service and several warranty visits at my supplying dealer and since that dealer is also close she also had her annual service there too. Unfortunately, she has the common clicking and clunking in the steering and when booking into the local dealer was told, "they can't do warranty work, at least, they would have to charge me and I should contact the mg dealer direct". Effectively is a second owner buying preregistered, does this mean everyone buying used has to return to the originally supplying dealership for warranty work! When I bought my car I believed that it was a "Manufacturer's 7 Year Warranty" not a warranty backed by the dealership I bought the car from! This is a ridiculous situation.

You're right it is ridiculous.
MG Motors covers the warranty, the local dealer should deal with it.
Contact MG direct and tell them you local dealer is not interested, they should contact them and give them a kick up the arse.

You're right it is ridiculous.
MG Motors covers the warranty, the local dealer should deal with it.
Contact MG direct and tell them you local dealer is not interested, they should contact them and give them a kick up the arse.
I think I have stated in previous posts on other threads, how some dealers are still living in the past.
This type of practice was going on donkeys YEARS ago when I was in the motor trade.
If the car is presented to a non supplying dealer for warranty work, they will redirect the customer to the supplying dealer.
They expect the supplying dealer to carry out the work and treat the car like an complete outsider.
A bit of :- “We never supplied the car ( made no profit from the sale ) so send them ( customer ) back there” type attitude.
Strange how they will take you money for a service, but not process an warranty claims issues ?.
They have left themselves WIDE open for severe criticism from MG there.
They need reeducating into the T&C’s of the warranty agreement.
But to be honest, I would be extremely reluctant to take my cars back to them for ANY work now.
And also tell MG C/S why you will not be returning to this dealer for any further sales or servicing work in the future !.
Oh ….. And you have posted your experience on a MG EV forum, for other owners to be aware of.
Absolute idiots - Brains the size of shirt buttons !.
P.S. - The warranty is totally transferable for the full 7 years stated.

Why wouldn’t they want to do the work if it’s warranty and MG are paying for it? It’s work for the workshop isn’t it? Have I missed something?

Why wouldn’t they want to do the work if it’s warranty and MG are paying for it? It’s work for the workshop isn’t it? Have I missed something?
I was going to ask the same thing. It seems as though they're not going to lose out.

My thought exactly. Thing is my car was an early model and the same dealer has been great. I've even had the entire Head Unit replaced, twice! Mind you why the head unit has needed to be replace is another story - don't get me started on that one and why only some older Samsung phones are compatible with the Phone functions of the Infotainment system!

There can be a delay between carrying out the warranty work and then receiving payment back for that work from the manufacture.
The supplying dealer is prepared to do this for their customers, but there does appear to be a reluctance to carry out warranty work, over for customers from non supplying dealers.
Putting pre - paid service plans / pay on the day work first.
If workshop booking space is limited, they will pick and choose / prioritise the "direct" paid revenue work over warranty work, especially if the car is not supplied by them.
Ask yourself this question. how many times have you submitted your car for a "Paid" service, plus a couple of small jobs you wish doing.
When you collect the car at the end of the day, they have done the service ( of course ) but the other two small jobs have not been touched.
Either they did not have the time, or they could not find the fault.
If the job / issue can be rectified quickly and simply, and they have the time, then they may carry out the work.
If they consider the job is likely to be more complicated and could leave the car waiting for parts, then advising the customer to return the car to the suppling dealer and avoid a headache is a better option for them.
I have seen this type of practice for myself.
Question like this :- "Did we supply the car - NO !".
Answer :- "Then it's no fault found or refer issue to the supplying dealer".
Paid work will always dominant over the warranty work, unless the workshop is under capacity.
E.G - Ever wondered why, if you require a simple fix on your car and you are prepared to pay for the work, they will fit you in on that day, or the following day.
Same job on a warranty claim, a one week wait at least.
Identical job, requiring the same workshop time, but two different time scales.

It would be interesting to see MG respond to why their dealer network is refusing to carry out warranty work. The idea of a network is surely to provide a wide coverage. It’s a global economy now - to pull it back to staying with you local or selling dealer is nonsense

It would be interesting to see MG respond to why their dealer network is refusing to carry out warranty work. The idea of a network is surely to provide a wide coverage. It’s a global economy now - to pull it back to staying with you local or selling dealer is nonsense
I do agree.
I did suggest making MG C/S aware of this fact in my posts #4.

And he writes :-
But to be honest, I would be extremely reluctant to take my cars back to them for ANY work now.
And also tell MG C/S why you will not be returning to this dealer for any further sales or servicing work in the future !.
Oh ….. And you have posted your experience on a MG EV forum, for other owners to be aware of.

....Mind you why the head unit has needed to be replace is another story - don't get me started on that one and why only some older Samsung phones are compatible with the Phone functions of the Infotainment system!
Just curious, I don't have a Samsung phone, older or newer and my phone works with the infotainment system.

My thought exactly. Thing is my car was an early model and the same dealer has been great. I've even had the entire Head Unit replaced, twice! Mind you why the head unit has needed to be replace is another story - don't get me started on that one and why only some older Samsung phones are compatible with the Phone functions of the Infotainment system!
UPDATE: I've spoken to the dealer in question and they've assured me that there is no investigation charge or charge for this work which is covered by the Manufactures Warranty. However, if a loan car is needed there is a charge for insurance customers may be asked to cover.

Just curious, I don't have a Samsung phone, older or newer and my phone works with the infotainment system.
I have a Samsung A52 on Android 11 which launched about 6 months ago. I bought it because my Huawei Honor 10 would neither launch Android Auto nor connect the phone's Contacts or Call History. After several dealer visits and an Infotainment System Head Unit replacement for another reason the dealer told me my phone wasn't compatible. Since my wife's phone , a 3 year old Samsung A7 on Android 10 worked fine I bought the newly released A72 but found it too large for my needs and swapped it for its smaller stable mate the A52. Neither the A72 or A52 can connect to contacts although both do with persuasion launch Android Auto. I have since getting the A52 had a further Head Unit swap because of a radio fault and still the A52 will not connect. The dealer about 6 weeks ago emailed MG Motors about my frustration with the issue but as of last Friday there is no response from them.
To satisfy myself the phone is not faulty I have spent an hour on the Samsung Support call and they have run every remote diagnosis they can on my phone and everything is working as it should and is up to date. Last Friday, I jumped into a Kia Soul and the phone linked and in seconds had downloaded all 1400+ contacts from my phone.
Do I search eBay for an out of date phone or change to the dark-side of iPhone as apparently they are always ok ?? Or buy a Kia Soul??

I have a Samsung A52 on Android 11 which launched about 6 months ago. I bought it because my Huawei Honor 10 would neither launch Android Auto nor connect the phone's Contacts or Call History. After several dealer visits and an Infotainment System Head Unit replacement for another reason the dealer told me my phone wasn't compatible. Since my wife's phone , a 3 year old Samsung A7 on Android 10 worked fine I bought the newly released A72 but found it too large for my needs and swapped it for its smaller stable mate the A52. Neither the A72 or A52 can connect to contacts although both do with persuasion launch Android Auto. I have since getting the A52 had a further Head Unit swap because of a radio fault and still the A52 will not connect. The dealer about 6 weeks ago emailed MG Motors about my frustration with the issue but as of last Friday there is no response from them.
To satisfy myself the phone is not faulty I have spent an hour on the Samsung Support call and they have run every remote diagnosis they can on my phone and everything is working as it should and is up to date. Last Friday, I jumped into a Kia Soul and the phone linked and in seconds had downloaded all 1400+ contacts from my phone.
Do I search eBay for an out of date phone or change to the dark-side of iPhone as apparently they are always ok ?? Or buy a Kia Soul??
The Honor phones are stablemates of Huawei infamously banned from play store, was AA being updated to the latest version on your Honor ?
There is no need to go to the dark (expensive) side, try a cheap Moto, no guarantees of course :) . My G9 Play possibly too large for you based on your comments above is running Android 11 and AA works fine.
There are other cheapo (non Samsung) android phones about that work perfectly well, maybe others on here have some? Suggestions anyone ?

I had real issues in my MG5 with my Nokia 5.3 running Android 10, and after updating to Android 11, tried various cables, sometimes it would connect then randomly disconnect. I've now bought a Google Pixel 4a (nice and compact, I don't want a tablet in my pocket!) It connects flawlessly.

I had real issues in my MG5 with my Nokia 5.3 running Android 10, and after updating to Android 11, tried various cables, sometimes it would connect then randomly disconnect. I've now bought a Google Pixel 4a (nice and compact, I don't want a tablet in my pocket!) It connects flawlessly.
Interesting. I was considering the 4a and that was before the latest big slash in the offer price which my son took advantage of last week. However, what put me off were the comments on Google's AndroidAuto forum. The problem is this: by design Android phones cut off charging when the battery is full, which is fine it has to do that. But Android phones do this by switching off the USB charge port and also disconnect the data connection and in so doing shutting down Android Auto. This isn't something you would notice straight away but only when the phone reaches full charge. (BTW, iPhones don't do this with CarPlay) Since the 4a is a compact phone it has a relatively small capacity battery and therefore reaches full charge sooner than a larger phone with a larger battery. A larger battery means you get further away from home before you lose Google maps/Waze navigation :-(

The Honor phones are stablemates of Huawei infamously banned from play store, was AA being updated to the latest version on your Honor ?
There is no need to go to the dark (expensive) side, try a cheap Moto, no guarantees of course :) . My G9 Play possibly too large for you based on your comments above is running Android 11 and AA works fine.
There are other cheapo (non Samsung) android phones about that work perfectly well, maybe others on here have some? Suggestions anyone?

"updated to the latest version on your Honor ?" The Honor was updated to Android 11 and still no joy. In Android 10 and later AndroidAuto is baked into the Android operating system so there isn't an App to load from the Play Store to connect to the car. The current AndroidAuto is if you want to use it on the phone independently from the car you are driving, ie if you've your phone in a vent-clip or screen-phone-holder in the car. Shortly the separate even that AndroidAuto App is being discontinued as its functions are being incorporated into Google Maps. Maybe I should just stick to a phone holder on the windscreen?

"updated to the latest version on your Honor ?" The Honor was updated to Android 11 and still no joy. In Android 10 and later AndroidAuto is baked into the Android operating system so there isn't an App to load from the Play Store to connect to the car. The current AndroidAuto is if you want to use it on the phone independently from the car you are driving, ie if you've your phone in a vent-clip or screen-phone-holder in the car. Shortly the separate even that AndroidAuto App is being discontinued as its functions are being incorporated into Google Maps. Maybe I should just stick to a phone holder on the windscreen?
I usually stick with the phone holder for the reasons I have given in other threads such as not liking the position of the infotainment screen for using satnav. (Applicable to most cars not just the MG).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom