Why do they do it

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Went to do some shopping this morning at Tesco on that site there are six EV charging points and on them today where 2 EVs plugged in but not charging and the other 4 points where ICED a WW Tiguan 2 Rangerovers and a fiesta why of why
Les

Because they can.

Maybe it's time to carry a stock of appropriately-worded notes to put on the windscreens of these cars. I suspect there are still people who think there are so few EVs around that nobody will be disadvantaged by this behaviour. A reminder that there are real people who are being really inconvenienced might not go amiss.

I'm considering "How would you like it if I parked across the only petrol pump in town and went off for an hour or two, when you were desperate to fill up?" for the ICE cars.

Maybe "I hope next time it's you who desperately needs a charge but can't get on the charger because some selfish bugger left his car sitting there after it had finished charging" for the EVs.

Go to customer services and tell the staff the cars with the following number plates have flat tyres.
Out goes the call.
When they all trot out shout cheese and pretend to take a photo.
When they ask what you're doing, say that you're putting pictures of numpties on the local Facebook group page.

Then run.

Yep, my local supermarket car park is council owned and is pay and display, there has frequently been an EV in a charging bay with the cable plugged in and not charging so they can avoid the 70p fee - and they are close to the SM entrance.

Hopefully they will start to get ticketed as the other day I saw a traffic warden go over and check the occupied chargers had actually been activated.

Went to do some shopping this morning at Tesco on that site there are six EV charging points and on them today where 2 EVs plugged in but not charging and the other 4 points where ICED a WW Tiguan 2 Rangerovers and a fiesta why of why
Les
I agree Les. I had a phase of challenging ICE drivers as they returned to the car and asked how they would feel if I left my car in front of the petrol pumps and went shopping but it made no impression - its just lack of thought or consideration. Other EVs simply using charging bays to park is less justifiable though. The drivers know how challenging it is to find working chargers so are being even more selfish

Yep, my local supermarket car park is council owned and is pay and display, there has frequently been an EV in a charging bay with the cable plugged in and not charging so they can avoid the 70p fee - and they are close to the SM entrance.

Hopefully they will start to get ticketed as the other day I saw a traffic warden go over and check the occupied chargers had actually been activated.
Isnt it possible that while shopping a charge was complete and stopped?

I agree Les. I had a phase of challenging ICE drivers as they returned to the car and asked how they would feel if I left my car in front of the petrol pumps and went shopping but it made no impression - its just lack of thought or consideration. Other EVs simply using charging bays to park is less justifiable though. The drivers know how challenging it is to find working chargers so are being even more selfish

Isnt it possible that while shopping a charge was complete and stopped?
Yes it is very possible I can’t argue with that last comment.

I always take a photo and report it to the service provider on their app.
Damn that's what I should have done today, stopped in Pickering for a quick top. There are 4 75kW chargers at the back of the car park none in use, but a Range Rover parked in one bay, not a hybrid but using the space probably because the car park was busy and they are larger bays.

Our local council will allow you to park for free as long as your EV is actively charging.

The moment the charge stops, you're fair game for a ticket....
I think I was wrong in this case as I went back for a top up and read the notices and this one didn't have the usual 'parking charges apply' like our council ones do, plus there was a maximum charge time of one hour.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom