Why get a fast charger for home?

deviousrich

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Morning all,

since getting my MG5 i've been granny charging at home, and 7KW charging when out and about (thanks Tesco!) but was considering getting a dedicated 'fast' i.e. 7KW charger at home but the finances dont add up for me...

Assuming for the moment i'm happy using granny charger (i have a dedicated socket im happy with etc), and assume a fast charger installed is £650+ then for me the only reason to have it installed would be the time between charges (as i usually just plug in when i get to about 30% at say 5pm, by midday the next day im ready to go anyway so the time it takes to charge doesn't matter to me) because by my calculations even with Octopus Go overnight etc the return on the cost of installation would be in excess of 2 years

so is it just the convenience of charging in 6 hours rather than say 20?
genuinely interested if there are reasons i am missing to get one installed?

p.s. my math below, hope it makes sense to anyone reading!

1633678522484.png

There's no real need for one if the Granny changers is suiting your needs - I got a Hypervolt installed but just now, due to ChargePlace Scotland chargers being half a mile away and free, I tend to use their Rapids to 80% and top up at home occasionally - or leave it sitting on one of the many local fast chargers.

Looks like based on your milage, needs and calculations, the granny charger is fine. I got mine now as the grants are available and I might need it more if my driving distances change or I move to an off-peak tariff.

Hi biffo,

I have just returned from a trip to Aviemore from Dumfries and charged 9 times on chargeplace Scotland RAPID chargers. It always showed a charge but when looking on my account it showed the amount as "unbilled"

So as you stated are they free? (for the moment)

Frank

Hi biffo,

I have just returned from a trip to Aviemore from Dumfries and charged 9 times on chargeplace Scotland RAPID chargers. It always showed a charge but when looking on my account it showed the amount as "unbilled"

So as you stated are they free? (for the moment)

Frank
Not in every region (Fife in particular), but most are still free to use

For me, the arguments in favour of a dedicated charging point are dominated by safety and convenience rather than economics.

Morning all,

since getting my MG5 i've been granny charging at home, and 7KW charging when out and about (thanks Tesco!) but was considering getting a dedicated 'fast' i.e. 7KW charger at home but the finances dont add up for me...

Assuming for the moment i'm happy using granny charger (i have a dedicated socket im happy with etc), and assume a fast charger installed is £650+ then for me the only reason to have it installed would be the time between charges (as i usually just plug in when i get to about 30% at say 5pm, by midday the next day im ready to go anyway so the time it takes to charge doesn't matter to me) because by my calculations even with Octopus Go overnight etc the return on the cost of installation would be in excess of 2 years

p.s. my math below, hope it makes

For me, the arguments in favour of a dedicated charging point are dominated by safety and convenience rather than economics.
100% in agreeance

Morning all,

p.s. my math below, hope it makes sense to anyone reading!

View attachment 5162
If charging at Tesco is free then stick with that and the odd battery balance on the granny once a month. If you get a 7.5kw unit then you will get all your home charging at 5p (until the price goes up) plus you can use the cheap rate for other household items like the washing machine. Are you on Go at the moment?

If charging at Tesco is free then stick with that and the odd battery balance on the granny once a month. If you get a 7.5kw unit then you will get all your home charging at 5p (until the price goes up) plus you can use the cheap rate for other household items like the washing machine. Are you on Go at the moment?
not on go yet, smart meter installation is booked for next week so on the path to get to Go tariff asap, but as per the math i did, even if i swap to Go and charge only on that tariff it doesnt make the meter installation (money wise) worth while.

i suspect i'll hold off a few years and hope the costs of the chargers drop as more adoption of EVs drive the costs down. at present i cant help but feel they are vastly over inflated "smart plugs" ;-)

Despite not always needing my home charger, the free ChargePlace Scotland chargers are having issues just now authenticating RFID cards after database swap over - and iOS App would authorise but not start the CCS. So, I'm at home charging at 18.55p*** per kWh from 59% to 100% and whatever balancing might be needed for tomorrow's long trip.

So today, worth it from a convenience factor alone - and the £4.33-ish it'll cost to fill the tank.

*** Not worth me swapping to a 5p off-peak tariff as on a fixed rate until April 2022 with penalty fees if leaving early, and moving gas jus now will cost me £185+ more a year even if off-peak charging is 13p/kWh or so cheaper

I agree with You. My recent trips dictated by unforseen family circumstances have been daily back to backs of over 120 miles so the fast overnight charging with my Hypervolt unit gives me peace of mind with no faffing about.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom