Why you should get a dashcam fitted in your MG (or any car)

In about 2013, when driving on a main road past a building site, a truck in front of me shed a half brick off the top of its load. The brick skittered along the road and hit the front skirt of my Audi. £120 worth of damage, and while I had the registration of the truck, there was absolutely nothing I could do about it without proof.
At that point, I decided I would never own a car without a dashcam again.
I bought a little Mobius camera for something like £80 all in which I fitted in the Audi with USB power coming from the 12v lighter socket. The sense of security it brings is wonderful and I recorded some incidents with it like this one:

Of course, there was no evidence if someone ran in to the back of my car, so I bought a second Mobius and mounted it at the back.
And there was still no evidence if someone damaged my car while parked, so when I bought my first EV, the Hyundai Ioniq, I got a Thinkware F770 and had it professionally fitted.
I chose that particular model because it has front and back cameras linked to the one unit, is full HD for both the front and rear camera recordings and has good reviews. It's been superseded since 2017 and if you want to research which model to get, then DashCamTalk is a great resource.

Now I have the security of knowing that if someone damages the car while parked, there is a good chance that there will be video evidence.
In the more than 3 years that I've been driving the car, I've never needed the video as evidence of damage, but I have recorded plenty of interesting and alarming incidents on the road.

For those people who don't have a Tesla (like) sentry mode in the car, I highly recommend having a dashcam fitted.
A professionally fitted front and back dashcam with parking mode is not going to be cheap, but in my opinion, is absolutely worth the investment. I speculate that it will pay for itself if you have just one case of your care being damaged.

Last edited:
Excellent article Stuart. Real food for thought.

May I ask a few questions.

1. What model of Thinkware dashcam did you install?
2. What were your reasons for buying that make/model?
3. What was the approximate cost for professional fitting?
4. In hindsight are there any features missing from your current dashcam that you would like?

Cheers.

1. What model of Thinkware dashcam did you install?
2. What were your reasons for buying that make/model?
It is full HD, has front and back cameras linked to the one unit and has good reviews. It's been superseded.
3. What was the approximate cost for professional fitting?
Not much, actually. I think only £40, but then the guy was semi-retired. I think I'd be happy to pay up to £100 for proper fitting. It's something an experienced installer will have done lots of times, so relatively easy, but will still take maybe 2-3 hours.
4. In hindsight are there any features missing from your current dashcam that you would like?
No, can't think of any.

I currently have front and rear dashcams fitted to my ICE, using 2 x 12V sockets. What provision does the MG5 have for 12V sockets, please?

only 1 in the front I am afraid...none in the back or boot
Thanks for the info... That's not good :-(
I did have a dashcam that had a slave camera for the back, so only used one 12V socket, but added another identical one at the rear when I realised how bad the slave camera was.

I think Nextbase have a few models that have rear cameras that link to the front via cable. Had one fitted to my old Golf. Had previously tried fitting 2 separate cameras, but they proved to be a bit of a pain. Having them linked was definitely less hassle.

I have front and rear linked cameras - one problem with mine is the rear link knocks out the dab radio reception. I have a Halfords dash cam but I think it's a common problem if you don't have a dedicated roof aerial. (I did a separate post somewhere in the MG5 section

I think Nextbase have a few models that have rear cameras that link to the front via cable. Had one fitted to my old Golf. Had previously tried fitting 2 separate cameras, but they proved to be a bit of a pain. Having them linked was definitely less hassle.
I use two prime cameras so that the rear one is as high res as the front one. But yes, if I go for the MG, it sounds as if I may have to compromise or buy a different system.

For me, it's worth spending the money for convenience. With my Thinkware F770, wiring to the main fuse board (using piggyback fuses so it's easy to remove) means there are no cables visible and the 12v socket is free. The recordings from both the front and rear cameras are full HD and both record to the same micro SD card. 128gig max, so it's able to record hours without overwriting.
In fact back in September 2017 (when Ecotricity chargers worked) soon after I got my car, I made a 14 minute timelapse of the journey from south Birmingham to London and back. I stuck one of my old mobius cameras to the steering column so I could record the dash display.

I second the Thinkware F770, had one for several years now, front and rear cameras, used it in several cars and it is now fitted to my mg, easy to fit using piggy back fuses and has a nice app so you can see the video and set it up to your preferences, I have mine set to record for 6 hours after the car is turned off and it has never effected the battery.
Luckily I have never had to use the footage in anger.
Well worth the piece of mind

I like the look of the Thinkware camera. Seriously thinking of replacing my old Nextbase 412GW with a front and rear Thinkware setup. You've converted me.

Stuart. Your mileage figures for the journey were very impressive considering your motorway speeds. Wish the MG was as efficient.

What's the privacy legislation like in the UK?

In the video of the car braking in front of you the number plate is very clearly visible and someone who knows the driver might even recognise the person. Was that a friendly wave they gave you at the end or a middle finger?

Anyway, I am sure recording should be fine in most jurisdictions, and using footage to help prove who's at fault in case of an accident. Uploading to YouTube might cause issues though (in Germany it would for sure).

What's the privacy legislation like in the UK?

In the video of the car braking in front of you the number plate is very clearly visible and someone who knows the driver might even recognise the person. Was that a friendly wave they gave you at the end or a middle finger?

Anyway, I am sure recording should be fine in most jurisdictions, and using footage to help prove who's at fault in case of an accident. Uploading to YouTube might cause issues though (in Germany it would for sure).
Anyone can take photos and videos in public places. I'd be amazed if there were any restrictions on uploading to YouTube.
Middle finger, I think.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom