Will a Mk1 Spare Wheel fit a Mk2?

There is a 5% marginal difference in the size, but the Gen 1 space saver wheel / tyre will do the job for the Gen 2 face lift.
I switched mine over on collection day.
Miles has confirmed it’s suitability a while back.
Hi ,

How can you tell the difference from a petrol Zs spare wheel, to an EV one.

Do the tyre sizes do it or is there a number on the wheel.
If you know I would be grateful.

Hi ,

How can you tell the difference from a petrol Zs spare wheel, to an EV one.

Do the tyre sizes do it or is there a number on the wheel.
If you know I would be grateful.
The wheel stud pitch on the wheel / hub is different for the ZS petrol version.
Bit of back ground story if you are interested ?.
When the ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) was first released, MG first incorrectly marketed the space saver wheel kit from the ZS ICE model as a suitable fitment, the kit was about £129.00 at that time.
One of the early ZS EV adopters purchased one of the kits and decide to try the wheel on his car.
Good job he did, because It would not fit the stud pitch of the wheel hub, so he returned it to the dealer.
After some further investigation, that space saver kit was with drawn from sale for the ZS EV and another part number was quickly supplied.
This worked out just fine !.
It turns out, that the ZS EV has the wheel bearing hub set up from the previous MG HS model.
I can only assume that it has larger stronger bearings, due to the extra weight of the EV is carrying over the ICE model.
The MG HS has a different wheel bolt pitch over that of the ZS ICE models.
So, quick answer :- NO - The space saver wheel from a ZS ICE will not fit a ZS EV.
As demand increased for the correct space saver wheel kits, the price shot up quickly from the original £129.00 to around £250.00 !.
I managed to grab one at the original price, I switched it over from our Gen 1 to our Gen 2 on collection day.
PS. - The ZS EV does have the same wheel bolt / hub pitches as a VW Golf ( and a few other models ) I believe.
But if used, you we need the VW wheel bolts to suit the wheel, as the contact angle machined on the wheel is slightly different from the MG wheel bolts.
The thread pitch etc is the same by all accounts.
Hope this helps answer your question (y) .

The wheel stud pitch on the wheel / hub is different for the ZS petrol version.
Bit of back ground story if you are interested ?.
When the ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) was first released, MG first incorrectly marketed the space saver wheel kit from the ZS ICE model as a suitable fitment, the kit was about £129.00 at that time.
One of the early ZS EV adopters purchased one of the kits and decide to try the wheel on his car.
Good job he did, because It would not fit the stud pitch of the wheel hub, so he returned it to the dealer.
After some further investigation, that space saver kit was with drawn from sale for the ZS EV and another part number was quickly supplied.
This worked out just fine !.
It turns out, that the ZS EV has the wheel bearing hub set up from the previous MG HS model.
I can only assume that it has larger stronger bearings, due to the extra weight of the EV is carrying over the ICE model.
The MG HS has a different wheel bolt pitch over that of the ZS ICE models.
So, quick answer :- NO - The space saver wheel from a ZS ICE will not fit a ZS EV.
As demand increased for the correct space saver wheel kits, the price shot up quickly from the original £129.00 to around £250.00 !.
I managed to grab one at the original price, I switched it over from our Gen 1 to our Gen 2 on collection day.
PS. - The ZS EV does have the same wheel bolt / hub pitches as a VW Golf ( and a few other models ) I believe.
But if used, you we need the VW wheel bolts to suit the wheel, as the contact angle machined on the wheel is slightly different from the MG wheel bolts.
The thread pitch etc is the same by all accounts.
Hope this helps answer your question (y) .
Thanks very much for detailed response. It is much appreciated. Are you aware of any markings or numbers on your correct wheel. Miles says the PCD is different but I am now wondering if I have the right wheel or not, as I seem to recall it came from my Petrol automatic Zs but possibly the dealer who supplied my Mk1 Ev swapped it.

Thanks very much for detailed response. It is much appreciated. Are you aware of any markings or numbers on your correct wheel. Miles says the PCD is different but I am now wondering if I have the right wheel or not, as I seem to recall it came from my Petrol automatic Zs but possibly the dealer who supplied my Mk1 Ev swapped it.
You can see the MG part number on this photo, the price has now increased to £277.00.
If your current wheel is from a ICE model, it will not fit the hubs on the ZS EV - Sorry.
It clearly shows which models this part number fits.
MG HS / GS / & ZS EV ( no mention of the ICE model ).
DC8F8CA6-8D43-4870-A7EA-AE4BD0379221.jpeg

You can see the MG part number on this photo, the price has now increased to £277.00.
If your current wheel is from a ICE model, it will not fit the hubs on the ZS EV - Sorry.
It clearly shows which models this part number fits.
MG HS / GS / & ZS EV ( no mention of the ICE model ).
View attachment 11038
Thanks so much for all your helpful info. Is the part no stamped on the wheel anywhere. Also are the tyre sizes different. If so do you know the size fitted to the correct wheel.
Sorry to be a nuisance.

The reason I just haven’t tried it on the hub is that I am not sure how to remove the wheel cover on my Trophy. Didn’t seem to want to budge and I do not want to break it.
I believe they are a bit of a struggle to remove alright.
There is a thread named “Plastic Wheel Trims” covering this subject.
It does show the back of the trim and the clip positions, they are held on both the alloy rim spokes and a centre hub circlip.
I am using the car all day today, but will pull out the spare and check for part number etc at the weekend 👍.

Thanks so much for all your helpful info. Is the part no stamped on the wheel anywhere. Also are the tyre sizes different. If so do you know the size fitted to the correct wheel.
Sorry to be a nuisance.
Here you go !.
There is a series of numbers stamped into the face side of the space saver.
Hard to get a good angle 📐 on them, so I have tried my best to take a few photos.
The tyre size is shown also 👍.

154D2473-2751-4BCE-ABA0-76142DCEDA98.jpeg

303F3021-C7A6-48D7-8B02-C29A445E86A4.jpeg

A0285087-8F01-400E-9E08-F868B1E9A27E.jpeg

Here you go !.
There is a series of numbers stamped into the face side of the space saver.
Hard to get a good angle 📐 on them, so I have tried my best to take a few photos.
The tyre size is shown also 👍.

View attachment 11092

View attachment 11093

View attachment 11094

You are an absolute star. My pictures show the same codes. So my dealer must have supplied me with the right wheel for my Mk1. The numbers match yours.
I really am grateful to you

Attachments

• 05595090-DADA-4E86-9DF0-47B2A713BE9E.jpeg
    05595090-DADA-4E86-9DF0-47B2A713BE9E.jpeg
    512.1 KB · Views: 94
  • CD679818-708D-479A-A84B-4A989EAC394A.jpeg
    CD679818-708D-479A-A84B-4A989EAC394A.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 88
You are an absolute star. My pictures show the same codes. So my dealer must have supplied me with the right wheel for my Mk1. The numbers match yours.
I really am grateful to you
You are very welcome, glad I could help !.
As the inflation valve faces face down in the boot, you have to remove the wheel to check the tyre pressure.
Quick check and it needed a quick top up.
It should 60 PSI ( according to the text printed on the side wall of the tyre ) mine was a little down at 50 PSI.

Last edited:
Thanks so much. The numbers and tyre size match those that I have in my car as you can see. I actually put the tool kit under the wheel with it up the other way.
There’s room and a piece of threaded stud in the centre allows the wheel to be fastened the other way up.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom