Will toggling KERS mid-drive increase wear and tear?

mat

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’ve had my MG ZS EV for a few days and I’ve taken to playing around with the KERS levels in lieu of using the brake in different circumstances.

I prefer to coast on KERS 1 during normal driving but I’ve started to toggle up to 3 mid-drive as I approach a set of lights or if I’m heading down a steep hill - situations where otherwise I might use light braking.

It’s occurred to me that maybe this might be detrimental to the car if I continue toggling away like this all the time.

Can any of the more mechanically-minded among you offer any insight?

No that's a sensible way to drive and shame the ACC wasn't programmed to work the same way! I don't have an MG so someone with proper experience will hopefully allay your fears. In my leaf I'll pop it into B mode for added regen when going down steep hills. You have made me think of a question though and that is does the MG use regen when you press the brake pedal? In the leaf pressing the brakes will use regen and only if more stopping power is needed will it apply the real brakes, given that the MG ACC doesn't use regen to slow down does that mean using the brake pedal in the MG is 'regenless'?

I’ve had my MG ZS EV for a few days and I’ve taken to playing around with the KERS levels in lieu of using the brake in different circumstances.

I prefer to coast on KERS 1 during normal driving but I’ve started to toggle up to 3 mid-drive as I approach a set of lights or if I’m heading down a steep hill - situations where otherwise I might use light braking.

It’s occurred to me that maybe this might be detrimental to the car if I continue toggling away like this all the time.

Toddling the KERS button will not have any major effects on the car really.
But to be honest, a lot of owners ( including myself ) have adapted their driving style to choose the mode that works best for them long term.
The pressure you apply with your foot on the “GO” pedal will carry out a similar function.
E.G. - If you choose Eco mode and then find you require a boost in power to overtake a much slower moving vehicle like a tractor, then maximum power can be achieved instantly by flooring the pedal.
Then the car will return to Eco mode as you lift off the pedal.
I find that using the default mode of “Normal” and Regen level 3 suits 99% of my driving requirements.

I used that method extensively as you have described on the open road.
Using regen 1 for slight downhills is great as you can regen for long periods simply by lifting off whereas in e.g. level 3 you would actually slow down. Some say leaving it in 3 and feathering the throttle is preferred but I find lifting off and exercising my finger to be more satisfactory.
In and around town/traffic I left it on 3 for max regen.
IMO pick a KERS for the situation, so carry on as you are.

I used that method extensively as you have described on the open road.
Using regen 1 for slight downhills is great as you can regen for long periods simply by lifting off whereas in e.g. level 3 you would actually slow down. Some say leaving it in 3 and feathering the throttle is preferred but I find lifting off and exercising my finger to be more satisfactory.
In and around town/traffic I left it on 3 for max regen.
IMO pick a KERS for the situation, so carry on as you are.
Thanks Gomev. Yeah I’ve found it to get such good results for regenerating. I get a bit of a kick out of seeing all those green arrows feeding back into the battery. As you might be able to tell, I’m very new to EVs. So far so good.

Toddling the KERS button will not have any major effects on the car really.
But to be honest, a lot of owners ( including myself ) have adapted their driving style to choose the mode that works best for them long term.
The pressure you apply with your foot on the “GO” pedal will carry out a similar function.
E.G. - If you choose Eco mode and then find you require a boost in power to overtake a much slower moving vehicle like a tractor, then maximum power can be achieved instantly by flooring the pedal.
Then the car will return to Eco mode as you lift off the pedal.
I find that using the default mode of “Normal” and Regen level 3 suits 99% of my driving requirements.
Thanks. Good to hear it won’t do much damage. Hopefully it might help the brakes out a little too. I battled with a fair bit of traffic today so sitting in KERS 3 the whole time worked very nicely. And good to know that putting it to the floor will kick it up a mode automatically. Haven’t had a chance to give it a good thrash just yet.

No that's a sensible way to drive and shame the ACC wasn't programmed to work the same way! I don't have an MG so someone with proper experience will hopefully allay your fears. In my leaf I'll pop it into B mode for added regen when going down steep hills. You have made me think of a question though and that is does the MG use regen when you press the brake pedal? In the leaf pressing the brakes will use regen and only if more stopping power is needed will it apply the real brakes, given that the MG ACC doesn't use regen to slow down does that mean using the brake pedal in the MG is 'regenless'?
Thanks and good question regarding the regen on braking. I’ve only noticed regen occurring (ie green arrows feeding back into the battery on the little car diagram) during regen braking, but that was in heavy traffic where I only really had to brake to stop and the KERS did all the slowing down. I’ll take note for next time and report back.

Thanks Gomev. Yeah I’ve found it to get such good results for regenerating. I get a bit of a kick out of seeing all those green arrows feeding back into the battery. As you might be able to tell, I’m very new to EVs. So far so good.
Look at the screen that shows voltage and amps (3 clicks down from speedo I think) and you can see how much the regen is putting in in amps as it does it.
Gentle regen in 1 going down hill to maintain speed will be about the same as plugging into a 7kW, In KERS 3 when slowing from speed can be as much as nearly 100 amps I've seen, which is as good as many a rapid I've been on.
My miles/kWh improved a lot after I had mastered using the finger. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom