• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Window Tinting MG5

Mr C

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have had my windows tinted (see pics), all windows behind the front driver and front passengers windows are dark, I had this done at the dealer prior to collection, this was £250.

Two weeks later I decided I wanted more windows tinting, I looked for a local tinting business and they came to me, I had the front side windows done, they are lightly tinted allowing 70% of light transfer. I also had a sun strip fitted at the top of the windscreen £130.

It might be more cost effective to look for a tinting business near you rather than the dealer.

There are many reasons for tinting, I wanted glare reduction, UV protection and something to help keep the cabin cooler in summer, some tinting films also provide heat rejection.

As you can see from the outside its dark but inside visibility is really good.

Always check that your tints are legal, I was issued with a warranty card with details of the tint film used.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Tinting.jpg
    Tinting.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 1,274
I have had my windows tinted (see pics), all windows behind the front driver and front passengers windows are dark, I had this done at the dealer prior to collection, this was £250.

Two weeks later I decided I wanted more windows tinting, I looked for a local tinting business and they came to me, I had the front side windows done, they are lightly tinted allowing 70% of light transfer. I also had a sun strip fitted at the top of the windscreen £130.

It might be more cost effective to look for a tinting business near you rather than the dealer.

There are many reasons for tinting, I wanted glare reduction, UV protection and something to help keep the cabin cooler in summer, some tinting films also provide heat rejection.

Always check that your tints are legal, I was issued with a warranty card with details of the tint film used.

Hope this helps
I used global tint for mine, but didn’t think about the top edge of the front screen, that’s a good idea..👍

They were good and they offer you a lifetime warranty
That’s good. I’m thinking all glass excluding - darker on rear glass but obviously lighter on front 2 - windscreen i would like a top tint. Any recommendations on shades etc? I’ve looked on their website

That’s good. I’m thinking all glass excluding - darker on rear glass but obviously lighter on front 2 - windscreen i would like a top tint. Any recommendations on shades etc? I’ve looked on their website
Film used on the front was Luna and it was Global tint that did mine, the sun strip was dark, the rules for the sun strip is that it must not cover the swiping area of your wiper blade.

Hope this helps
Your black tints are a great contrast to the white paint work of the car !.
( P.S. - Check if your insurance has an interest. I informed my insurance and it shown on the modifications page of my policy, no increase in premium O.B.T.W. ).
I just have the windows done from the "B" pillar back, it looks great against the Dynamic red paintwork.

Your black tints are a great contrast to the white paint work of the car !.
( P.S. - Check if your insurance has an interest. I informed my insurance and it shown on the modifications page of my policy, no increase in premium O.B.T.W. ).
I just have the windows done from the "B" pillar back, it looks great against the Dynamic red paintwork.
Good point I forgot to mention that, really important to notify your insurance, I did!

Hope this helps
Thanks for this, I’m looking at getting mine done soon

Thanks for this, I’m looking at getting mine done soon
Stu,
I got rid of my Merc and A6 ICE to get this car, I'm surprised what you get for the money and I'm happy with it.

This car is big enough for what I need, get in the whole family and dog, there is a lot of glass in this car and it felt a bit exposed and I expect it will be hot in summer, with the UV and heat reflecting properties it should help keep the cabin temp cooler, benefits less energy for the HVAC to cool the car, less impact on range.

It also sets the car off better and completes the look, glad I had mine done and it should look nice with your paint too. Lots of reasons to tint, security and privacy is another.

The Forum podcast is really good and is starting to include more MG5 chat, I have had my car 2 weeks, getting some experience with it now. If you look at my threads I have identified a lot of accessories I'm using on my 5.

Let me know how the tinting goes, look forward to the pics.

Regards Mark C.

Stu,
I got rid of my Merc and A6 ICE to get this car, I'm surprised what you get for the money and I'm happy with it.

This car is big enough for what I need, get in the whole family and dog, there is a lot of glass in this car and it felt a bit exposed and I expect it will be hot in summer, with the UV and heat reflecting properties it should help keep the cabin temp cooler, benefits less energy for the HVAC to cool the car, less impact on range.

It also sets the car off better and completes the look, glad I had mine done and it should look nice with your paint too. Lots of reasons to tint, security and privacy is another.

The Forum podcast is really good and is starting to include more MG5 chat, I have had my car 2 weeks, getting some experience with it now. If you look at my threads I have identified a lot of accessories I'm using on my 5.

Let me know how the tinting goes, look forward to the pics.

Regards Mark C.
Will do, I’ve been representing the 5 owners on the podcast. Now I’m over the “loss” of a Mercedes I don’t know what I was keeping me from changing brand. I am really enjoying the car, as you say so much for the money. I’ve just bought a private plate for it too, so it’s a keeper 😀

I've been planning on getting mine done (zsev) and this has given me the nudge to get it sorted. Mine is white so thinking as dark as legally possible. What is the deal with getting the windscreen tinted? Do companies do it (to legal limits)? I'm wondering as globaltint only quotes for half car online.

Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later​

The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.

75% is barely noticeable.

Hope this helps
👍

Had mine done today...

Attachments

• DAC8B1D2-9B67-48A6-89EC-C493370F5D28.jpeg
    DAC8B1D2-9B67-48A6-89EC-C493370F5D28.jpeg
    801.2 KB · Views: 1,247
  • 135242AE-9106-45FB-926E-E7DD83785446.jpeg
    135242AE-9106-45FB-926E-E7DD83785446.jpeg
    794 KB · Views: 985
  • 4E1430DA-7366-4136-9137-FA6F90A42912.jpeg
    4E1430DA-7366-4136-9137-FA6F90A42912.jpeg