Window Tinting

Deleted member 6627

Reaction score
For those who have had their windows tinted..... Has it made a noticeable difference to the temperature in the car?

For those who have had their windows tinted..... Has it made a noticeable difference to the temperature in the car?
Quick answer - YES.
Get it done !.
Had my ZS EV Gen 1 and Gen 2 done from the “B” pillar back.
Loads covering this on the forum, containing pictures etc.
Quick search 🔍 should bring up all the info you will require.

It does, and not getting melted through the clear side glass when in traffic on the motorway is also nice. I wouldn't even consider not having it in the mg5.
The Gen 2 face lift ZS EV does have a slight tint to the glass from the factory.
Which IS an improvement over the Gen 1 ZS EV for sure.
But, I have STILL had my glass tinted from the "B" pillar back on our face lift model regardless, to improve on reducing heat and UV transmission to the cabin.
Something also worth considering, if you glass is almost clear, then in hot conditions you are going to flogging your A/C to death, trying to lower the internal cabin temp of the car in vain.
Hammering the A/C is also eating into your range.
I really love the electric pan roof ( while we still have it ) but find it odd that the roof is tint / UV protected AND has a blind, but the glass in the car is almost completely clear on the Gen1 ?.
The external temperatures over this last week, have been unusable HIGH.
Even with the factory tint and the additional tint, I have found running the A/C at MAX was necessary for some time to get the cabin temp at a comfortable level.
Yes - These weather conditions are rare, but without ANY tint on the Gen1 model, it would have been unbearable.
If you own a ZS or a MG5 and are carrying children and ( or ) pet's in the back of these cars, I strongly recommend you consider having the windows tinted !.
The fact it improves the external looks of the car anyway, is just a plus point in it's favour !.
Oh ........ Don't forget to inform your insurance company OBTW.

Did I see a thread about blinds from Aliexpress?
If so please can you post a link.

How much are we talking roughly?
Global tints about £210 from the B pillar back. There are many threads that cover this well worth a search. (top right of screen)
I had mine done with the middle tint Luna and legal limit on front sides. Where my car sits on the drive it is full on reversed into the morning sun, I can get in midday and the car is not hot. By the afternoon when it starts to come through the windscreen, the car gets very hot.

Global tints about £210 from the B pillar back. There are many threads that cover this well worth a search. (top right of screen)
I had mine done with the middle tint Luna and legal limit on front sides. Where my car sits on the drive it is full on reversed into the morning sun, I can get in midday and the car is not hot. By the afternoon when it starts to come through the windscreen, the car gets very hot.
I’m getting mine done on Tuesday. Mine has a very slight tint on the front sides and windscreen so even the lightest film takes it over the legal threshold (had it checked with light meter yesterday).

I recommend you go for a smooth transition from the “B” pillar back.
Leave the two front windows alone.
Then increase the tint level on the two back doors, then go even darker with the rear screen.
From the side view this looks very nice !.
I had my Gen1 ZS EV tinted from the “B” pillar back, with a fairly dark tint.
It did the job, but from the side view, the transition was really obvious.
It looked like two half’s of two cars stuck together 🤣.
The Gen 2 has a light factor tint from the factory.
I wanted to improve on the level of tint, but did not want that huge transition from the side view.
Therefore, light tint applied over the factory tint on the rear windows, then a heavy tint on the rear screen.
I think it looks bang on to be fair !.
Remember, when it is raining or at night, the windows WILL be much darker anyway.
I will try and include a few photo’s.

C6B3A5A3-AF45-4719-BD41-880DC848C35A.jpeg
42F9F246-AE9B-4C75-9039-16CA031ACF18.jpeg
218DCD54-965E-451D-95F0-3B5EBC3EE3DF.jpeg

Yes but there is a difference between different types and makes of tint. I chose Llumar IRX tint to windows behind B pillar and for driver and front passenger side windows, which are much lighter. All are legal for road use. Excellent heat and UV reduction. £420 total.

I did my MG5 a few weeks ago, dark in the back and very light in the front to meet legal requirements all with UV protection.

Doesn't make a huge difference to hot seats in the front but my son wants to sit in the back & not the front now!

It'll get a full test soon!

I did my MG5 a few weeks ago, dark in the back and very light in the front to meet legal requirements all with UV protection.

Doesn't make a huge difference to hot seats in the front but my son wants to sit in the back & not the front now!

It'll get a full test soon!
How come mine has just enough tint on the front that I can’t get any added without it being illegal? Did they change the window specs on some cars?

How come mine has just enough tint on the front that I can’t get any added without it being illegal? Did they change the window specs on some cars?
I found that some tinters ignore the law, others play very safe & refuse to do it. I found one who knew the rules & explained what was allowed & did that. I still had to sign a waiver though!

The actual law is very unclear & ill defined.

Many tinters assume that the windows already have a tint since most cars do when they leave the factory.
The MGs though, up until the facelift versions of the ZS and 5, have no tint in the glass at all and this has been confirmed by MG themselves.

I found that some tinters ignore the law, others play very safe & refuse to do it. I found one who knew the rules & explained what was allowed & did that. I still had to sign a waiver though!

The actual law is very unclear & ill defined.
The law is very clearly and precisely defined.
On cars since 1st April 1985...(slightly different before that date but not a lot)

The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.

Many tinters assume that the windows already have a tint since most cars do when they leave the factory.
The MGs though, up until the facelift versions of the ZS and 5, have no tint in the glass at all and this has been confirmed by MG themselves.
The guy who is tinting mine (today after Tuesday was too hot) tested my windscreen and front sides with his light meter. Both allowed around 86% light through. With his lightest film in place this dropped below the legal threshold. I was standing next to him when he tested it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom