Windscreen Washer fluid for MG5

Look out for Wurth concentrated washer concentrate. Very small bottle just a tad bigger than my wife's lipstick dispenser. Its absolutely excellent. Any Wurth outlet or major stockist should have.
Here in Malta one of the most popular. Here it costs €1.20. In UK probably £3.50 +

Upvote 0
I use Prestone as well. Normally use more concentrate in winter than ready to use.

Attachments

• 20211222_101303.jpg
    20211222_101303.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0
Another for prestone but I'll use whatever is to hand as long as it cleans the glass.

Upvote 0
Totally agree should not use washing up liquid etc. etc., but what is wrong with cheap washer fluid. I have used the stuff from supermarkets for years with no bother.
The cheap stuff will often not include a biocide so you can get biological growth in the tank that blocks the suction strainer on the pump and this invariably leads to the pump failing. It's a bigger issue in the Summer because of higher ambient temperature and lower throughput but it can happen at any time.
Had this happen on my other car and I had to remove the tank to flush it out as well as replace the pump.
This is what was in the tank:

IMGP1733.JPG

Upvote 0
I tried Prestone and wasn't overly impressed. It didn't seem any better or worse than the cheap stuff, the disadvantage was the price.
I put Sonax additive in with a 25% Summer, 50% winter mix, cheap washer fluid in mine.
Sonax.jpg

Upvote 0
The cheap stuff will often not include a biocide so you can get biological growth in the tank that blocks the suction strainer on the pump and this invariably leads to the pump failing. It's a bigger issue in the Summer because of higher ambient temperature and lower throughput but it can happen at any time.
Had this happen on my other car and I had to remove the tank to flush it out as well as replace the pump.
This is what was in the tank:

View attachment 6047
You could always put a silver coil in the reservoir to kill any bacteria

Upvote 0
Aldi £2.99 for five litres. Been using it for years never had any problems. All those fancy makes just a rip off same ingredients
Yep
I’ve always used Asda screen wash
50/50 concentration in summer/winter in my old ice cars
Let’s see how it holds up in the winter in an ev
I did see on a EV forum or YouTube video when I was doing my research into EV’s
that screen wash may freeze easier in an ev as it doesn’t have the heat from an ice engine to heat it up and thaw it out
BUT it said to add some de-icer in with the screen wash it would help to stop it freezing
It didn’t say how much to add or how well it worked maybe worth a try who knows
Cheers
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Upvote 0
Yep
I’ve always used Asda screen wash
50/50 concentration in summer/winter in my old ice cars
Let’s see how it holds up in the winter in an ev
I did see on a EV forum or YouTube video when I was doing my research into EV’s
that screen wash may freeze easier in an ev as it doesn’t have the heat from an ice engine to heat it up and thaw it out
BUT it said to add some de-icer in with the screen wash it would help to stop it freezing
It didn’t say how much to add or how well it worked maybe worth a try who knows
Cheers
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Does it say on the de-icer about avoiding paintwork? I know it will be diluted but I would rather increase the concentration of the wash.

Upvote 0
Does it say on the de-icer about avoiding paintwork? I know it will be diluted but I would rather increase the concentration of the wash.
I know years ago it did but must admit I’ve never really looked these days
But when you spray de-icer on it goes everywhere windows, chrome, paintwork and if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction You get a face full😂
Never tried mixing them myself it was just something I’d read or seen
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Upvote 0
My dad used to make his own with washing up liquid and meths. I wouldn't recommend it as the washing up liquid contains a lot of salt.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom