Windscreen wipers lifting at higher speeds

ECourts

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Does anyone else have problems with the XPower windscreen wipers lifting and becoming useless as far as clearing rain is concerned over around 130kph/80mph? I may need to look for better blades with spoilers or add-on spoilers to get better pressure onto the screen as they become positively dangerous in rain at higher speeds. Any recommendations?

You will probably find this is not an issue for many owners unless, like yourself in Germany, they have access to roads that will lawfully allow speeds up to 80mph. In the UK with speeds up to 70mph not had any issues

No problems for me yet and totally agree with above post for making the glass hydrophobic. It also helps remove squashed insects with just an easy wash 👍

Use a hydrophobic product on your windscreen, I use Gyeon Q2 View, it's magic, don't need to use wipers after about 60km/h (depending how heavy)
This is interesting and available here too it seems. How easy is it to apply? Is a 20ml package enough for one windscreen? Is Gyeon Quickview better/different? (It seems easier to apply)

This is interesting and available here too it seems. How easy is it to apply? Is a 20ml package enough for one windscreen? Is Gyeon Quickview better/different? (It seems easier to apply)
The 20ml kit is enough for the windscreen and front windows, it's easy but best to take your time with it, especially the cleaning/prep, and do it in the right conditions. I haven't used the quick view yet, that's a newer product, will probably try that one the next application. The Q2 view application lasts for 6 months so basically a whole wet season

I've always had good results with Aquapel, though it's getting a bit pricey these days.

Since I took early retirement my car has spent most of it's time garaged and hardly ever goes out in the rain! So it's probably not going to be representative of the 'real world' but my last Aquapel application lasted over a year.

There's a good recent review of windscreen coatings here (includes GYEON Quartz Q² View, Aquapel, Gtechniq G5 and even Rain-X which does well 👍 :-

Thanks to everyone for their help.
I've ordered a pack of GYEON Quartz Q² View which I'll try to apply at the weekend if the weather stays nice and see how it goes.
Now to work out how to adjust the washer spray jets which work fine when stationary but simply spray the bottom of the screen at speed.😋

Adjusting washer spray jets is one of the dark arts. The gap between the top edge of the bonnet and the wiper arm is pretty small so you end up with a fine tolerance as to where they can be positioned to be effective. Not helped by the fact is is easier to make the adjustments with the bonnet open but you then have to close the bonnet to test the new position

Adjusting washer spray jets is one of the dark arts. The gap between the top edge of the bonnet and the wiper arm is pretty small so you end up with a fine tolerance as to where they can be positioned to be effective. Not helped by the fact is is easier to make the adjustments with the bonnet open but you then have to close the bonnet to test the new position
I don't know why I'm laughing!

It's a right bloody P.I.T.A!!!🤣

Changed my blades out for Lucas Items.
Instant improvement and no 'skipping'

There's a good recent review of windscreen coatings here (includes GYEON Quartz Q² View, Aquapel, Gtechniq G5 and even Rain-X which does well 👍 :-

Nice vid! Haven't seen someone so enthusiastic about these products before 🤣Might have to give Aquapel/Gtechnique a try next time. GYEON is great but its $$$

I don't know why I'm laughing!

It's a right bloody P.I.T.A!!!🤣

Changed my blades out for Lucas Items.
Instant improvement and no 'skipping'
what size blades do I look for?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom