Winter Driving

NeFo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
MG5 LR is the first automatic car i have had. Apart from the "drive" option, is there a setting i don't know about for driving in icy conditions? Some automatics i saw years ago had a "first gear" setting which the drivers told me was to stop the wheels over-revving on ice.

The manual says only to disable stability and traction controls when using snow chains.

Drive mode 'ECO' for me limits initial acceleration so as/when ice conditions arrive it should help just fine. As to convential geabox (driving on packed snow/ice) 2nd gear I suspect is preferred.

I don't use kers3 in poor road conditions incase I get too much regen.
Hadn't thought about that. However, I wonder how that compares to dropping a cog in an ICE vehicle. I suspect KERS is more progressive than any manual actions, so perhaps less likely to upset the applecart?

Probably wise to not use Smart Cruise Control ( which can cause sudden sharp braking ) in icy conditions . I normally drive in KERS 1 and ECO mode . Light on the accelerator and brakes as you should with any car . If the conditions are too bad , I just don't drive . No destination is worth dying for :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom