Winter screenwash

Barryf67

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
First winter coming up with my MG5 and was wondering how the screen washers perform at low temperatures and if anybody knows of a good screen wash to buy.

-10 Celsius would be a rare event in my part of the world although I have experienced -19 when I lived in Scotland!
Back in the 70s I used to put Methylated spirits in my screenwash at 50% solution. One of the advantages of having a high strength solution was that you could squirt it on the screen to clear light frost. The disadvantage of using meths though was that the dye in it turned all your screen wash pipes and bottle purple. :oops:
Not sure how it affects paintwork, I used to drive old bangers then.

An old Army friend of mine said they used Vodka in BAOR!
I once bought some ex-army surplus screen wash concentrate at an auto jumble, it was actually methanol. Instead of using it in my screen wash I sold it to a mate who used it to fuel his model aircraft engines.

I used to buy 5l cans of Comma concentrate but that looks to be unavailable these days. However Prestone is a good alternative. Mix with water to cope with varying degrees of cold. 5L usually lasts for a couple of years and having concentrate means you can cope with the harshest of winters.

Does anyone know what % strength "ready to use" screen wash is ?

I usually mix up a batch, and chuck some in the freezer to see how it goes.

Main problem seems to be that it's not a straightforward lowering of performance as you dilute the mix. I've got a bottle in the kitchen that works down to -70C. Mix it to 50/50, and it only goes down to -22. Mix it 30/60 and it only works to -10. Bit of a pain getting it right at times.

Come on guys just buy a cheap big tub from any supermarket they got them all out now . I paid £2-50 for 5 litres never had any issues with it

I use the cheap stuff, mainly as an antifreeze as it's not fantastic at cleaning, I add Sonax in for cleaning the screen.
Link: Sonax

It isn't just about freezing temperature.
Biocidal capability is also important (albeit this is more of an issue in the Summer).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom