Wiper arm damage to bonnet.

Iain

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Anyone else getting old and forgetting to “park” wipers before trying to lift them from the windscreen?
During the frosty weather I like to ensure wiper blades are not frozen to the windscreen before moving off.
I have fitted some door edge protector along the trailing edge of the bonnet as per photos.
This will protect the bonnet edge and wiper arms from damage due to my forgetfulness.
The strip is widely available in a range of colours (as I know fake chrome is not to everyone’s taste).
Hope this is useful to others.

Attachments

• 5CEB00F7-ABDF-4EB6-9206-F6FC44E58736.jpeg
    5CEB00F7-ABDF-4EB6-9206-F6FC44E58736.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 437
  • DD25CBC6-7153-4E8D-99BA-772EA05FE70F.jpeg
    DD25CBC6-7153-4E8D-99BA-772EA05FE70F.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 294
The strip look good - OEM looking. I’m not entirely sure what it does though? How do the wiper arms touch the bonnet exactly?

The strip look good - OEM looking. I’m not entirely sure what it does though? How do the wiper arms touch the bonnet exactly?
Trying to lift the wiper arms from the windscreen - when I have not remembered to move them to upright position causes contact between arm and bonnet edge. Not good for paintwork.

Oh ok - sorry. The strip looks good anyway.

I've honestly done it 3 times... yes i have now learned lol.
1st time I chalked it up to not knowing, 2nd time was to kill a spider and forgetting, 3rd time... no excuse just needed to move car 1ft forward to clean the boot.

I do have my White base coat and clear coat touch up pens. On the white that's all you need as its only a thin lip on the bonnet and covers up well. 0 bubbles or marks left after a good polishing between applying base, then clearcoat and polishing again.

The weather strip is a great idea, however would the chrome be a bit blinding in the sun?

I've honestly done it 3 times... yes i have now learned lol.
1st time I chalked it up to not knowing, 2nd time was to kill a spider and forgetting, 3rd time... no excuse just needed to move car 1ft forward to clean the boot.

I do have my White base coat and clear coat touch up pens. On the white that's all you need as its only a thin lip on the bonnet and covers up well. 0 bubbles or marks left after a good polishing between applying base, then clearcoat and polishing again.

The weather strip is a great idea, however would the chrome be a bit blinding in the sun?
Nice to know I’m not the only one.
I have heard of this mythical creature sun but, living in Scotland I’ve never seen it myself.
Hopefully by the summer I will have had the car long enough to remember to not lift wipers without parking them and can remove strip.

I was thinking of putting some clear edge protector tape on, just where the wipers touch, but thought that it might come off with washing etc. I never thought of a full length piece like that, good idea. (y)

Anyone else getting old and forgetting to “park” wipers before trying to lift them from the windscreen?
During the frosty weather I like to ensure wiper blades are not frozen to the windscreen before moving off.
I have fitted some door edge protector along the trailing edge of the bonnet as per photos.
This will protect the bonnet edge and wiper arms from damage due to my forgetfulness.
The strip is widely available in a range of colours (as I know fake chrome is not to everyone’s taste).
Hope this is useful to others.
Where did you get this from?

I did something similar .i set the wipers to service position to clean the car and then forgot about them ,so when i turned the ignition on they went back to rest position and they both scraped paint off the edge of the bonnet .lesson learnt the hard way.

Where did you get this from?
Bought on eBay some time ago at about £1 per metre.
Various types and colours available including clear.
Some types have sticky tape to secure them but I opted for a u shape which seem quite tight without additional adhesive. You may have to warm it for ease of fitting.
I wanted to see how it looks and can easily be removed with no damage to paint.
Just search eBay for “door edge protection “.

Another option might be to put some rubber on the wiper arm in the area where would expect it to touch the bonnet.

I had the same problem. Forgot to lower the wipers to the window after removing the snow... now I have damaged the bonnet and it has to be repainted. I lease the car so the costs are ok. Never had this issue with all of my pervious cars.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom