Wipers auto?

MG5

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Anyone else think that the auto wipers are actually not very auto at all?
On intermittent, they're intermittent,
Turn the little ring thingy for auto rain sensitivity and they're just on, none of the three settings seem to make a difference, all the auto setting does is make the wipers come on on constant. Is it just mine?

I was thinking the same the other evening driving in drizzle. Trying to work out, when twisting the stalk, which way was making a difference. I decided neither! My old Mondeo couldn’t do rain sensing very well either.

There's only 2 cars I've had that did the rain sensing properly - A Jaguar X-Type and a Jaguar XF. All these other cars do it stupidly bad in my experience, including A mini countryman, and the MG.

Anyone else think that the auto wipers are actually not very auto at all?
On intermittent, they're intermittent,
Turn the little ring thingy for auto rain sensitivity and they're just on, none of the three settings seem to make a difference, all the auto setting does is make the wipers come on on constant. Is it just mine?
Mine work fine - sometimes I think they could come on sooner, so I twist the sensitivity dial away from me, but usually leave it alone. They're not perfect but 99% of the time they work such that I just don't notice them.

MG definitely aren't in the best of the bunch. I routinely have to manually override.

Glad it's not just me!
My old vw was pretty good and an old volvo that was completely customisable was useful.
Got half the mg windscreen blocked by a big black plastic box for these things that are crap 😂

They're not as good as the wipers in my previous eNiro. They used to come on just fine and would auto regulate the speed depending on how much water was on the screen. I could always rely on them to come on full speed if a passing lorry splashed the car. I can't say the same of the MG's wipers. I'm always having to turn the sensitivity up and down, before just accepting they're not very good and just turning them on. I don't think I've seen them come on full speed yet.

There's only 2 cars I've had that did the rain sensing properly - A Jaguar X-Type and a Jaguar XF. All these other cars do it stupidly bad in my experience, including A mini countryman, and the MG.
Interesting...the ones on my Jag XF drove me bonkers and never, ever wiped at a rate I wanted them to! Only car I've had where they did what they should was a 3 series (E46 if I recall).

Quite glad the Excite only has the timed variety :)

My SsangYong Tivoli the auto wipers worked well, hoping the5 works ss well, though had a ZS petrol, they weren't that brilliant on that. 😬

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom