Wipers not working

Resarfmoth

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've got a problem with my front wipers not working at all. They were struggling with clearing heavy snow on Saturday then just gave up the ghost. I've tried swapping in another fuse (I am presuming the fuse is F7) after disconnecting the battery, but no joy. Wiper motors still make a noise when I try the wiper stalk (which I am hoping means the motor is still working) but no wiper movement. Anyone got any bright ideas before I resort to a trip to the dealers?

Were you trying to use the wipers to clear static snow as they aren't really designed to do that?
I'm not familiar with the detailed design but it would be sensible to have a replaceable weak point in the linkage to deal with overloading.

I had cleared the screen part from a layer of ice at the bottom where it meets the bonnet. This didn't quite allow the wipers to do a full sweep. Should have stopped and cleared the rest of the screen but thought as I was only going 2 miles ... it's my fault and a valuable lesson that EVs don't warm up and melt snow.

One benefit of my other (petrol) car is a heated windscreen and that's useful not only for clearing the visible swept area but also the parking position for the wipers.

One benefit of my other (petrol) car is a heated windscreen and that's useful not only for clearing the visible swept area but also the parking position for the wipers.
Used to love the heated front screen on the Mondeos I had, 30 seconds and all frost and fog gone ready to drive off (had to open the side windows to see out though)

it's my fault and a valuable lesson that EVs don't warm up and melt snow.
Why not use the facility of the heater to defrost the car, this is a massive advantage of a EV over a ICE car ?.
Overnight last night it was -1 right through until about 10.00 am this morning.
My car is parked on the drive all of the time.
All of the windows where completely frozen solid white over !.
I had an early appointment at the hospital this morning, I popped out to the car about 5 mins before I set off.
Booted up the car and hit the max defrost and the HRW button.
Removed the keys and returned back to the house, checked it five mins latter and the car was completely clear and it was toasty warm on the inside.
No toxic fumes being pumped out either.
On the new face lift model, preheating and defrosting can be done from the house.

Why not use the facility of the heater to defrost the car, this is a massive advantage of a EV over a ICE car ?.
Overnight last night it was -1 right through until about 10.00 am this morning.
My car is parked on the drive all of the time.
All of the windows where completely frozen solid white over !.
I had an early appointment at the hospital this morning, I popped out to the car about 5 mins before I set off.
Booted up the car and hit the max defrost and the HRW button.
Removed the keys and returned back to the house, checked it five mins latter and the car was completely clear and it was toasty warm on the inside.
No toxic fumes being pumped out either.
On the new face lift model, preheating and defrosting can be done from the house.
I did exactly the same. My two neighbours opposite with their ice cars were trying to heat up the engine, clearing all the ice and all that. I jjst 5 mins before started the car, walked up the heating and then went back to pack my things up and obviously took the keys. When I went back it was all defrosted, apart from the bonnet which is a downside to EV cars is that the bonnet never will defrost so when driving at high speeds every now and again I got a chunk going zoom up my windscreen lol

Mine took 3 minutes to de-ice this morning, but I spent almost 10 minutes brushing the 3" of snow off.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom