Wireless android auto

Yes you can. If the phone is set to stay on when charging then you can use voice commands hands free.
Not all phone's can be set to stay on while charging, so not a generic solution but an alternative option if your phone supports it.

Edit: Thanks AussiePete found the stay on command in the developers menu. This saves me putting an echo dot in my wife's car.

Last edited:
Not all phone's can be set to stay on while charging, so not a generic solution but an alternative option if your phone supports it.

Edit: Thanks AussiePete found the stay on command in the developers menu. This saves me putting an echo dot in my wife's car.
My Moto g6 USB connection has to be set to charging or data, can't have both.

I've also found one of those bluetooth/fm transmitter plug-in thingies. Could I connect alexa to this then b/t a free fm Station to radio to use the car speaker system
It's just a theory

If you have "Hey Google" detection activated and even if your phone screen is off when using Android Auto, you can just say Hey Google and then give your command. You don't even have to touch the microphone button to activate it, it's completely handsfree.

I've also found one of those bluetooth/fm transmitter plug-in thingies. Could I connect alexa to this then b/t a free fm Station to radio to use the car speaker system
It's just a theory
You can already do this if your phone is Bluetooth connected. From the radio menu select the media streaming option and your phone will do commend responses via the speakers

My g7 happily charges while connected to AA.
I have also just upgraded to a g9 courtesy of Argos who are selling them at £99.99, but haven't tested that on AA yet.

For anyone that is remotely interested, great spec at this ridiculously low price. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7835216?clickSR=slp:term:motorola:3:
If you have "Hey Google" detection activated and even if your phone screen is off when using Android Auto, you can just say Hey Google and then give your command. You don't even have to touch the microphone button to activate it, it's completely handsfree.
I’ve a G6 Play and just can’t get the assistant to work if the screen is off. I’ve tried all the settings but just not working.

A small update for anyone who’s interested. You can operate the Google assistant with the screen switched off if you have Android Auto installed on your phone even if the phone is not connected by a cable (ie it’s only on Bluetooth)

I have Android Auto installed on my phone and have it set to startup whenever the phone connects to the cars Bluetooth (use AA setting Auto-Launch). After some testing today I found that, even with the screen off, if I issued a Google command AA woke the phone up and the Google assistant executed the command.

If your infotainment system is playing the radio you can’t hear responses, however if you switch to the media player (if your listening to DAB radio press SRC on the steering wheel twice) you can hear responses and interact with the assistant.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom