Wireless Apple CarPlay adaptor

Tom McConnell

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have just bought and installed the new v4.0 version of the Carlinkit Apple CarPlay and Android Auto wireless adaptor to my MG5 (Jan 2021 stand range exclusive).

All successful and working well via my iPhone 12. Don’t have an Android phone so don’t know how that works but it is the new key v4 capability.

Bought via their US site and it was shipped direct from China in a week. £90.45

I'm perhaps missing the point, why use this and what does it offer that a cabled Carplay in the head unit can't?

I'm perhaps missing the point, why use this and what does it offer that a cabled Carplay in the head unit can't?
Saves the hassle of plugging your phone in every time. My current car has wireless CarPlay so I wasn’t looking forward to having to plug my phone in every time. If this works reliably it’ll be great.

Afternoon all, sort of on topic how reliable is the cable connection and where can you put the phone while plugged in to the MG5? Am getting one as a company vehicle so have done zero research and haven't even sat in one yet!

still not convinced, £90 for option not to plug in seems overkill
I have the AAWireless unit which is just Android Auto where as most are CarPlay wireless and if they have any support at all for Android it is a work around or the adapter has inbuilt Android OS and needs to link to your phone as a Hot Spot to work.

The AAWireless connect to the phone before you open the door even and then launches the AA session prompting Head Unit to open into AA and G-Maps and ready to play Audio. So
Advantage 1 a time saver.
Advantage 2 it never loses connection for some unknown reason causing the AA to shut down taking down your navigation or rebooting the session.
Advantage 3 many phone have compatibility issues with MG Infotainment Head Unit and to date with AAWireless in between this hasn't been an issue.
Advantage 4 Android phones are notorious for shutting-down the USB port when battery reaches full but since using the AAWireless the phone is in my pocket and I can choose when to charge and when not to charge my phone and don't have to plug the USB in to the phone unless i want to charge; now the AA Session remains LIVE and STABLE, ALL THE TIME.

My AAWireless is worth every penny

Afternoon all, sort of on topic how reliable is the cable connection and where can you put the phone while plugged in to the MG5? Am getting one as a company vehicle so have done zero research and haven't even sat in one yet!
I've used the usb socket and a cable, it just works (tm)

if it fails, try a new usb cable and it's all good.

where can you put the phone while plugged in to the MG5?

On the right hand (driver's) side of the centre console there is a very convenient small basket, ideal for any phone unless it is really (physically) large. I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+ in quite a chunky leather case and this basket holds it easily and securely.

HTH

On the right hand (driver's) side of the centre console there is a very convenient small basket, ideal for any phone unless it is really (physically) large. I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+ in quite a chunky leather case and this basket holds it easily and securely.

HTH
also handy and discrete enough that I've walked away from the car (more than once) without it!

(best place for it, on a cable!)

I've used the usb socket and a cable, it just works (tm)

if it fails, try a new usb cable and it's all good.
Good to know, I've had a 2018 SEAT Leon since new and had to change the cable three or four times. THe cables still seem good for other uses just not Android Auto!

HTH
Excellent, thanks for the advice/knowledge!

also handy and discrete enough that I've walked away from the car (more than once) without it!

(best place for it, on a cable!)
It's discrete enough I didn't see it in the brochure photos! The Leon has a cubby under the radio and that isn't discrete but I still manage to leave my phone in there!

Recent iOS update appears to have broken Carplay on our MG5. Does the CarlinKit fit neatly when in use when in use? A photo would be great.

Hi which usb port have you used? As I was thinking if the back ones work it would free up the centre console as it could go in the seat pocket 🫡

Hi
I have been using the Car2play one
it loads up more apps
you can hear you texts and dictate a answer back.
use WhatsApp phone cost only phone data
good for maps
wire will drop out of phone, also if you keep charging your phone for short time not good from them.
been well worthwhile and I am a Yorkshire man and you know what they say.

You can get the version 4 from : Ali Express for £55.06
Ordered mine last week and due in 8th August. Much mor reasonable price.
On Amazon it is £105.99

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom