Wireless CarPlay

Sketchjoe

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Is there anyway you can get CarPlay without plug-in every time. I either forget to plug phone in or forget to take it with me when I get out of car 🥴🥴🥴

Not unless you try a third party wireless connector. They tend to be a bit unreliable from what I can see and can be expensive too. They plug into a usb port. Kits like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carlinkit-Wireless-carplay-Compatible-map(Please/dp/B08CXZDRHN/ref=sr_1_8?adgrpid=65526009822&dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-a6ywbuX8AIVkWDmCh1NtQl-EAAYAiAAEgJX4vD_BwE&hvadid=338740840240&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9041126&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12261020932166580639&hvtargid=kwd-308883157142&hydadcr=5057_1827814&keywords=wireless+carplay&qid=1619287391&sr=8-8
there are cheaper on some sites if you are prepared to wait. They do tend to have issues though from what I’ve read.

Was wondering this myself after my wife asked why our daughter iPhone can connect to Apple carplay while it's in her hand but our Android phones need to be plugged in???

I don’t think either android or CarPlay can connect wirelessly 🙁 without a third party device. You can of course connect via Bluetooth and stream make calls etc but not use CarPlay or AA unless you plug in

I'm taking her to work in the morning I'll ask her to connect and see just what she is connecting with (wife's adamant it's carplay but you could be right and it's just Bluetooth)

Not unless you try a third party wireless connector. They tend to be a bit unreliable from what I can see and can be expensive too. They plug into a usb port. Kits like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carlinkit-Wireless-carplay-Compatible-map(Please/dp/B08CXZDRHN/ref=sr_1_8?adgrpid=65526009822&dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-a6ywbuX8AIVkWDmCh1NtQl-EAAYAiAAEgJX4vD_BwE&hvadid=338740840240&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9041126&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12261020932166580639&hvtargid=kwd-308883157142&hydadcr=5057_1827814&keywords=wireless+carplay&qid=1619287391&sr=8-8
there are cheaper on some sites if you are prepared to wait. They do tend to have issues though from what I’ve read.
Thanks for that

Sorry I meant to reply earlier
I did ask my daughter if she was able to use Apple carplay wirelessly as her mum said she could but when she showed me just what she does it's obvious she's connected by Bluetooth and not carplay.
So a working wireless dongle could be useful.

I'll have to look at the carlink.
Can't use the wireless charger as my phone doesn't support it ☹️ (OnePlus 7T Pro)

I'll have a look for something android thennot had the chance to look at the other above yet so thanks for the heads up, you saved me some time👍

@Cbrom01 I just installed the same wireless CarPlay adapter you recommended, and am finding it takes a very, very long time to connect. When I first switch on the car I’m getting src set to radio, and it’s a good minute or longer before I see the boot screen saying it’s connecting to my phone, and then a few more seconds after that before I’m in CarPlay.

Have you had a similar experience? I’m considering returning the unit I got, just wondering if I’m doing something wrong?

Same experience here, but found that the adaptor connects faster in other cars (Fiat, Kia). Also found the connection in the MG establishes faster when plugging in the USB of the adaptor áfter the MG has started up ... but that kind of negates the pupose ....

@Cbrom01 I just installed the same wireless CarPlay adapter you recommended, and am finding it takes a very, very long time to connect. When I first switch on the car I’m getting src set to radio, and it’s a good minute or longer before I see the boot screen saying it’s connecting to my phone, and then a few more seconds after that before I’m in CarPlay.

Have you had a similar experience? I’m considering returning the unit I got, just wondering if I’m doing something wrong?
Mine take around 30 seconds to connect. when the car is unlocked, it starts to boot so by the time I’ve got in and switched the car on, its already connected. Have you updated it to the latest software?

I did, yes. After the firmware update, it was noticeably faster. However, the connection time did seem to vary between ok and unacceptable. Add to that that with both my iPhone and my wife’s iPhone paired, it seemed to pick up whichever was at the top of the list, which will inevitably result in confusion.

I’ve decided to send it back and just stick with the wired connection. It is an extra step to do each time, however it’s instant and reliable. Which beats inconsistent and fidgety in my book.

As this is an issue involving several dependencies (phone, gadget, head unit, and then car) I don’t think it’ll ever be resolved adequately outside changing the head unit itself. So, for now I’ll add it to my list of things to look forward to in a few years time when the next upgrade opportunity rolls around. 😄

I use the cplay2air device, works very well and have used it on my other Apple CarPlay cars as well. Very reliable device.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom