Wireless CarPlay

I ordered the CarlinKit to add wireless CarPlay option. It's available on Amazon through the manufacturer's store, but cheaper if you order directly from their official website carlinkitcarplay.com. NOTE: it ships from China but takes 2 weeks to arrive. I had no delay with USPS surprisingly.

In any event, I only tried it while parked and my phone had absolutely no issues connecting. That was my concern based on the Amazon reviews.

It appears to use a Bluetooth connection between the phone and device and the device appears to recognize that it's connected to my vehicle. You don't specify the vehicle when you order, just need to make sure your vehicle is on the supported list.

The unit is very small and lightweight. I used velcro to affix it to the underside of the storage compartment lid so that I could still utilize the "floor" space.

It comes with a short USB-C TO USB-A cable.

I tested Spotify while parked and there was a short moment of buffering and then streaming was fine; I'll have to send an update on prolonged use.

I ordered the CarlinKit to add wireless CarPlay option. It's available on Amazon through the manufacturer's store, but cheaper if you order directly from their official website carlinkitcarplay.com. NOTE: it ships from China but takes 2 weeks to arrive. I had no delay with USPS surprisingly.

In any event, I only tried it while parked and my phone had absolutely no issues connecting. That was my concern based on the Amazon reviews.

It appears to use a Bluetooth connection between the phone and device and the device appears to recognize that it's connected to my vehicle. You don't specify the vehicle when you order, just need to make sure your vehicle is on the supported list.

The unit is very small and lightweight. I used velcro to affix it to the underside of the storage compartment lid so that I could still utilize the "floor" space.

It comes with a short USB-C TO USB-A cable.

I tested Spotify while parked and there was a short moment of buffering and then streaming was fine; I'll have to send an update on prolonged use.
Bugger says it does not work with Android.

I pasted the link again, but it won't work.
I bought AAWireless on Indiegogo.com
You have to sponsor and select the bonus of 1 or 2 AAWireless units.

I pasted the link again, but it won't work.
I bought AAWireless on Indiegogo.com
You have to sponsor and select the bonus of 1 or 2 AAWireless units.
They are no longer on Indiegogo, they have their own website and normal sales now. I have one and it works very well.

They are no longer on Indiegogo, they have their own website and normal sales now. I have one and it works very well.

Blimey the price has gone up as far as i can see.

I believe they were 60 USD including shipping when they were on indiegogo, but with a delivery time often 2-3-4 months later, and if they did not deliver it was bad luck and the money was lost.

Never ordered off of indiegogo, as i found the concept of only buying the right to get one, if they decided to deliver a bit iffy.

Right now i have no car that has AA in any form, so not in need of one right now.

I wonder if they ship from within the EU, otherwise the 90 USD would have shipping, VAT, import tax, and import fee on top, making them a lot more expensive, atleast if delivered to my country.

I believe they were 60 USD including shipping when they were on indiegogo, but with a delivery time often 2-3-4 months later, and if they did not deliver it was bad luck and the money was lost.

Never ordered off of indiegogo, as i found the concept of only buying the right to get one, if they decided to deliver a bit iffy.

Right now i have no car that has AA in any form, so not in need of one right now.

I wonder if they ship from within the EU, otherwise the 90 USD would have shipping, VAT, import tax, and import fee on top, making them a lot more expensive, atleast if delivered to my country.
They do ship from within the EU to the EU I believe.

I think $60 may have been an early price, I bought at $85 plus $10 postage, so price up by $5 since.

I bought from indiegogoand it took 4 months to deliver.
No money lost and kept up to date on chip shortage etc all through it.
The only bug i had with my aawireless was with it not connecting after about 8 months.
It turned out to be an android auto update that required permissions to be accepted again, hence the not auto connecting.

Even if i turn off wifi and Bluetooth the phone turns then back on when i get to the car.
That's great but shows that we're not really in as much control of bluetooth and WiFi as we think :oops:

I bought from indiegogoand it took 4 months to deliver.
No money lost and kept up to date on chip shortage etc all through it.
The only bug i had with my aawireless was with it not connecting after about 8 months.
It turned out to be an android auto update that required permissions to be accepted again, hence the not auto connecting.

Even if i turn off wifi and Bluetooth the phone turns then back on when i get to the car.
That's great but shows that we're not really in as much control of bluetooth and WiFi as we think :oops:
To be fair, when you installed the app, you probably accepted some permissions that allowed the app to control the wifi and bluetooth :)

But yeah, less and less control.

They do ship from within the EU to the EU I believe.

I think $60 may have been an early price, I bought at $85 plus $10 postage, so price up by $5 since.
Yeah it's not the price that is the problem.

My main gripe is that i really thing that MG should make an update for the infotainment system in the MG ZS EV, to enable Wireless AA.

I can offcourse not say if the hardware is capable of supporting it, but i know that my previous car, that was a 2016, had a HMI unit with all the required hardware in it to make it work, that manufacturer just stopped making updates to the HMI, before AA Wireless was a thing, so i would be hesitant to understand if the HMI in the MG ZS EV would not have the hardware.

But as i understand, the infotainment system has not even received it's first OTA update even here, about a year after the launch, so it is probably not very realistic that they would make an update as big as this...ever..

My experience with Chinese tech is more or less "It will have what it had from new, if you want new features, buy our new product that has this feature". (This was the case with an Android radio i bought for my other car, it was born with Android 4.4, and it never received an update ever.)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom