Wishlist/'must haves' for next version of the ZS EV?

If there was a major redesign of the ZS EV, what features and improvements would you like?

I've written up my list below, feel free to add more suggestions:

(features in bold are absolute no brainer must haves)

Exterior:
  • Either a small 'sharkfin'-style aerial or no visible aerial
  • Improved design to rear end
  • Different rear light clusters
  • Actual alloy wheels instead of the aero cover option
  • Privacy glass for rear windows as standard
  • A full single panoramic glass roof pane instead of the split pane
  • Less bare plastic on show (e.g painted wheel arches)

Interior:
  • Interior mood lighting and customisation options in the UI
  • Improvements to some interior components - better quality plastics or upgrade to different materials
  • Proper central armrest for driver and front passenger
  • Larger boot capacity
  • Better central console design e.g removal of that unused button space next to the parking brake
User Inferface:
  • Much improved cameras with much higher resolution and clarity, especially rear parking camera
  • Wireless Apple CarPlay & Android Auto
  • Ability to view full service history and schedule through UI
  • Improved CarPlay/Android Auto integration so certain UI elements can be viewed in driver cockpit (e.g satnav)
  • Smoother UI with improved menu screen designs
  • Heads up display (as a paid option)
  • The ability to set a default drive mode instead of having it always reset back to 'Normal' - same with brake regen strength
  • Less software bugs when it comes to starting and parking the car

Driver experience
  • True all-season 300+ mile range/'Extended Range' version
  • Higher ride height
  • Base model to offer real world all-season range of at least 250 miles
  • Improved ride quality and suspension
  • Less torque steer under heavy acceleration
  • More efficient de-misting without driver intervention
  • Compatibility with best rate tariffs from energy suppliers (e.g Octopus Intelligent Go)
Heated steering wheel, self-opening and closing boot and a 400-mile range.

I personally would like to see an all electric version of the HS. I still love my ZS EV MK1 which is 3.5 years old now and I need something a bit larger. I have been looking at the New Ford Explorer which looks to be similar size to a Range Rover Evoke on the videos, but a recent You Tube video revealed it’s not that big in reality. Still looking for a reasonably priced larger vehicle to replace my ZS.

I personally would like to see an all electric version of the HS. I still love my ZS EV MK1 which is 3.5 years old now and I need something a bit larger. I have been looking at the New Ford Explorer which looks to be similar size to a Range Rover Evoke on the videos, but a recent You Tube video revealed it’s not that big in reality. Still looking for a reasonably priced larger vehicle to replace my ZS.

Marvel EV, fully loaded 🙂👍

Quick link to the heated seat switch without having to go through 4 screens.
If you are on home screen just press the temp and it goes straight to screen with heated seats icon on. I agree dedicated buttons would be better but it is a budget EV so money had to be saved in lots of places. If they where dedicated buttons you would need more wiring loom and physical switches. OK so only cost pennies in the grand scheme of things but add up all the little savings and multiply by the number of cars and it's a big sum.

Fred12345, if you don't mind secondhand, the Ford Mustang EV, extended range, can be bought for the same money as a MG ZS LR - about £35k. 400 mile range and a great car. I fancy a red one myself.

Fred12345, if you don't mind secondhand, the Ford Mustang EV, extended range, can be bought for the same money as a MG ZS LR - about £35k. 400 mile range and a great car. I fancy a red one myself.
I'm transitioning (what a convenient word)... Had to scrap my old diesel and then agonised what to do until EVs got better range and better prices: lease, buy new, buy second hand (petrol or EV?), wait for promised salary sacrifice scheme at work... In the end decided on cheap second hand MG5 or potentially MK1 ZS but then this one ex-lease 2022 Mk2 turned up only a few thousands more than the cheapest MK1 so I just bit the bullet and so far happy... I decided to stick with this now for as long as possible until I figure out what's what in the EV market but one thing is for sure, I won't discount Chinese carmakers 🙂

Totally agree with you on that one. Although the Mk2 ZS is far better than the Mk1 in so many ways apart from the rear reversing lights/camera. We have got both models so we did a side by side test rather than from memory.
okay, mine's the mk2. actually in the process of adding extra reverse lights to it (like I have on my other car)

New one coming soon, based on the msp platform as per the MG4. Next-gen MG ZS EV expected to touch down by 2024

I dont have too many problems with the existing model. It gets weaker the further you go back on the car, so:

Lights in the rear row, for sure
Possibly electric tail gate (cost? I doubt this)
Cooled seats in the front, hot climates, hopeful
No one piece pano roof for sure, the present split /opening and with blind is ideal.
Sharkfin aerial yes, but I simply changed mine for very little.
Armrest in the rear row, none here in Oceania
A SPARE spacesaver wheel - all EVs for that matter. New Kona premium has this.

I’m fine with the infotainment really, diito the cameras & as if we need 4k for reversing.
OTA updates maybe, but be careful what you wish for there; so many brands have probs here, BYD, Volvo etc. botched updates can be a prob.
Already has CarPlay & Android Auto & no real need for wireless, just plug it in on the charging mat.

Plus of course, better battery chemistry & range, very likely given the new tech from both CATL & BYD’s v2 blade. LFP only for me & having lived with NMC on my first EV.

For price point, is already well considred.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom