Won't charge. Any suggestions?

myfirstev

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all, my wife is miles away from home. There are 3 possible fast chargers she can use, she's on only 15% now after travelling round to the chargers in our area. None of them will charge the car even though they all seem to be working.. Could it be a fault with the car? If so, any suggestions?

You say 'fast' chargers, do you mean 7kw AC? or the bigger 'rapid' chargers and is she confident with the charging process?

Hi all, my wife is miles away from home. There are 3 possible fast chargers she can use, she's on only 15% now after travelling round to the chargers in our area. None of them will charge the car even though they all seem to be working.. Could it be a fault with the car? If so, any suggestions?
Best if you give more detail like what operator are the chargers. As use of different chargers is important never had a problem with podpoint and Gridserve have always worked for me

Aa have arrived. The car is now charging. The breakdown guy can't understand why it wouldn't charge. So far we've had nothing but disappointment with this car. We live in a semi rural area and the infrastructure just isn't there yet. Loads of 7kwh chargers but they are useless unless you leave for hours. Thinking of selling and maybe get another one when you can have a choice of chargers. Thanks everyone.

Aa have arrived. The car is now charging. The breakdown guy can't understand why it wouldn't charge. So far we've had nothing but disappointment with this car. We live in a semi rural area and the infrastructure just isn't there yet. Loads of 7kwh chargers but they are useless unless you leave for hours. Thinking of selling and maybe get another one when you can have a choice of chargers. Thanks everyone.

Fit yourself a home charger, chances are you'll never need to use a public one unless you do long miles regularly.

She is now on her way home. The car has been on charge for 1hr 15mins and its increased to 61% from 26% on a 50kwh pod point, surely that's not right..... It normally charges 80% in an hour. What's going on???

Persist, fuel prices are about to hit £2 / litre at the current rate soon!

I have no issues, you need to learn the new and forget the old, it takes time!

She is now on her way home. The car has been on charge for 1hr 15mins and its increased to 61% from 26% on a 50kwh pod point, surely that's not right..... It normally charges 80% in an hour. What's going on???
This maybe a daft question, but did the A.A. guy plug the car into the Type 2 plug and not the CCS plug by mistake ??.
This would account for the slow charge rate ??????.

Pod point can have issues with charge rate in the past I have connected to 22Kw to actually see it charging at 7Kw. Others I have seen say 3Kw but actually charge at 7Kw they work just not at the advertised rate.

Geniepoint are advertised as 50kw but I have never found one that charges at that rate.

I usually charge at home but occasionally charge away from home if visiting the in laws in Exeter. I have found an Osprey charger that is reliable and charges quickly. Okay it's not the cheapest option out there but I use my Electric Juice card so it comes off my Octopus account.

Pod point can have issues with charge rate in the past I have connected to 22Kw to actually see it charging at 7Kw. Others I have seen say 3Kw but actually charge at 7Kw they work just not at the advertised rate.
The MG5 onboard charger can only do 7kW, even if connected to a 22kW point.

This maybe a daft question, but did the A.A. guy plug the car into the Type 2 plug and not the CCS plug by mistake ??.
This would account for the slow charge rate ??????.
I think 35% in 75 mins on a 7kw would be impossible.

Just a rapid not being very rapid, one of my local supposed 50kWh Geniepoints never managed more than 30kWh.

The charger may be faulty, afaik they make up the 50kw with 4 x 12.5kw power supplies but can still charge if one or more are faulty, just slower.

You won’t get better than 7kW on a 22kW AC charger with the MG.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom