Worrying fact about my mg5

Glad you were OK ......You may (or probably may not!). recall that the main reasons I didn't buy the MG5 after my test drive, was the lack of emergency braking, compared to my ZS EV.

I am getting to age now where I like having some automatic backups, just incase! ......but of course, like your airbags....they do need to actually work!!
Hi Chris yeh I do remember you saying that and I have no idea if auto brakes do there job or not never a car with it fitted joes just point out while am writing this the 5 has EBA But I don’t think that is quite the same its only brake assist where as the ZS as the MG Pilot and ACC which does apply the actual brakes I believe also this is one off the reason it as the NCAP 5 stars for safety and the 5 doesn’t hope your keeping well Chris
Les

Last edited:
The MG5 does have EBA.
Hi joe yeh your right about the EBA on the 5 but that only works when the driver puts the brake on the ZS is fitted with ACC which Along with MG pilot does brake automatically and does apply the mechanical brakes this is also the reason the brake lights come on with the ZS I sure you remember that thread from a few weeks back I like you am not surprised the bags did not deploy I think he’s gone under something I have ask him to let us know what car he ran into as you can see above
Les

The MG5 does have EBA.
Maybe Harves can tell us if the EBA operated on this occasion?
I drive another vehicle (Subaru XV) with all kinds of safety contraptions (they call the system Eyesight). To be honest, most times it triggers or alarms when you don't really want it to such as approaching a large sign on a tight bend (it obviously presumes that you're not going to take the turn and drive into the sign). Having said that I would like to think that more lives have been saved by such systems than terminated by them?

As said above EBA is Emergency Brake Assist, which amplifies the braking power, based on how fast the pedal goes down, not how hard you press the pedal.
The ZS has Forward Collision Warning System (FCW), Automatic Emergency Braking System (AEB) and Automatic Emergency Braking System for Pedestrians (AEBP) via the front radar and camera as well as EBA on the pedal. All the stuff we oldies need ;)

Hi again looking again at this thread and your pictures and what others have said it does seem a Strange one the damage I mean you don’t say what you run into you only say a car what was that car make model might it have been a pick-up type vehicle just out of interest that’s all.
Les
No problem mate, It was a pick up (Mitsubishi) as you can see I swerved to the left to avoid a collision the only damage to the pickup was I broke the bracket on the bumper

My heart goes out to you..I know just how you must be feeling..."if only I could wind the clock back a few seconds" Many of us have been there at one time or other.....mine have mainly been scrapes and scratches, but 55 years ago, I ran my Mini-van into the back of a VW beetle ....it had a towing bracket.....it was unharmed, I had a headlight pointing at the ground! Ive never forgotten....hence I welcomed the Auto braking on my ZS ...or what ever its called.

My heart goes out to you..I know just how you must be feeling..."if only I could wind the clock back a few seconds" Many of us have been there at one time or other.....mine have mainly been scrapes and scratches, but 55 years ago, I ran my Mini-van into the back of a VW beetle ....it had a towing bracket.....it was unharmed, I had a headlight pointing at the ground! Ive never forgotten....hence I welcomed the Auto braking on my ZS ...or what ever its called.
I used to fit tow bars to my old cars years ago just to protect my rear end in situations like these.

I used to fit tow bars to my old cars years ago just to protect my rear end in situations like these.
A friend drove a Toyota Land Cruiser with a tow bar and got rear ended hard by a ford dinky toy, radiator and grill bits everywhere. The the cop spoke to the ford driver and said "the guy in the Toyota is really annoyed, you scratched his tow bar .."

No problem mate, It was a pick up (Mitsubishi) as you can see I swerved to the left to avoid a collision the only damage to the pickup was I broke the bracket on the bumper
Hi again Harves I guessed right then about the pick up just had a feeling when I saw the damage to your car please let us know how you get on with it and don’t forget have a good look at your insurance policy and I hope you get it sorted very soon.
Les

Last edited:
I don't think SAIC intend to have it tested.
You'd think it'd be mandatory, but apparently not. Dunno if there's a minimum standard that has to be passed to sell a vehicle in the EU, sort of like a "CE" mark (altho' a lot of those mean nothing)... Odd that the 5 doesn't have an NCAP rating, given the ZS did well, and historically all of their cars have done ok...

Hi people I bought my mg5 in March then 3weeks ago I had a accident unfortunately my fault first time in 30 years but the worrying thing about the accident was I was travelling at approximately 40-50mph and hit the car in front who stopped suddenly the front of my car is a complete mess but none of the airbags went off could not believe it ☹️☹️
As your car seems to have under ridden the Toyota there would have been a lower deceleration as the crumple zone and bonnet absorbed energy. I suspect this was a lower deceleration than the airbag trigger.

As your car seems to have under ridden the Toyota there would have been a lower deceleration as the crumple zone and bonnet absorbed energy. I suspect this was a lower deceleration than the airbag trigger.
Also, seeing as the idea of an airbag is to stop you mashing yourself up against the interior, I suspect you were well below the trigger speed.

Hi again Harves just wondering how you went on with your car and is it being repaired or not
Les
Hi Les after 5weeks the insurance company decided to write the car off they said it was due to structural damage,it’s been a absolute nightmare I’m a taxi driver and I’ve been on the phone just about every day unbelievably they sent it to a garage for a estimate the garage told them they did not have the technology to repair the car the insurance company left it there for 2wks when I questioned why they haven’t moved the car they said the car was in a dangerous condition and nobody would move it I pointed out that the car had already been moved twice and I couldn’t understand the problem eventually they moved it to a mg dealer who’s estimate was £14,000 to repair it . So they’ve wrote it off ,I went to the dealer I bought the car off to see about buying another one this was last week and the price from last Monday to last Friday went up by £740 when I asked them why they said that mg told them they were selling the cars to cheap and it was causing problems with the “market” so I’m just waiting for my car they reckon I’ll get it on Friday.
Still can’t understand how a car can be written off for structural damage but the damage wasn’t enough to set the airbags off( not that I’m complaining about them not deploying).so that’s where I’m at sorry it went on a bit but hopefully I’ll be back at work next week. (Believe it or not this is a very short explanation of what happened).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom