Worse than getting ICED

Parking charges can be applied and monitored via CCTV which would also keep the charger safe from vandalism.
Not easily they can't. If there is sufficient light, and the registration plate is clean and visible and is not false, then maybe they can apply to DVLA for details of keeper of the vehicle (probably at a cost for this info). Assuming the keeper hasn't moved and is willing to divulge driver details an invoice could perhaps be issued. If the driver ignores the invoice the onus is on the operator to prove an offence has been committed.

If the vandal is not associated with a vehicle, or is not a known felon, I'm not sure how CCTV will help to keep the charger safe.

Much easier to deal with a known customer with associated bank details. If someone doesn't initiate a charge you don't have these.

This was a busy McDonald’s just off the A1 all chargers where in use I just put mine on charge and another EV drove past looking for a charger this short of thing really boils my piss the car park was busy but plenty spaces just 30 yards up the road the lazy git was probably sat in McDonald’s I just hope the next time they need a change some other clown 🤡 is doing the same I can only see this happening more and more with the uptake of EVs
I had that at that McD Instavolt last summer. Both bays were occupied one not charging. So I pared in a free NON-Charging bay until one became free. When it did it was the charging EV which freed the bay. However, When I went to take it I got abuse from another EV Driver who claimed it was his spot and he had been waiting for it. I've no idea if he had been there longer than me but I know the NON-Charging **** had been. It's a shame because these Instavolts can be a lifesaver after hacking down the A1 or M1. I needed to get on so scooted on to the Shell Recharge Nr the M25/A10 interchange

The local shopping centre which has recently had 64 x7kw chargers fitted, is active on people blocking ev chargers.
Christmas eve there was a kia niro parked in 1 bay not charging, on my way back 45 minutes later it had a parking ticket in it.

Tbf the painted sign on the floor says ev partking

Anybody used this app to "notify" another EV user that the charger they are "blocking/using" has actually finished (assuming it started) and that they really ought to move their car? If so, did it "work" and the owner came and moved his/her car?

I'm asking this out of genuine curiosity. I have the app but have, so far, never needed to use it as all but one of my charging sessions since first getting the car have been at home. The one non-home use was at a charger which was, miraculously perhaps, available and working!
That looks like a very good app. I don't do much public charging yet, but my son does. I do notice the tail-pipe mob icing charge points.

IMHO the notify apps are pointless.

There are 2 types of ev driver; those like me who try to be considerate, only charge when necessary and want to be on our way as soon as we have enough energy to do so. We are back with our cars and making ready to leave by the time our charge speed starts to significantly taper. We wouldn't ask anyone to give way for us and would rarely see any reason why we ought to stop our (generally fairly brief) charging session for anyone else.

Then there are the other type of ev driver, those that will happily leave their cars charging for long periods unattended, especially if charger is free or cheap. These people generally wouldn't want anyone interrupting them and hence are unlikely to make use of the apps. In actual fact some actively use the app as justification for charging longer than is reasonable, arguing that if anyone desperately needed to charge they could contact them. If anyone ever did contact them they would spout the same tired excuses that they simply have to charge to 90 odd percent to make it to their destination. (Strangely you rarely encounter people having to charge to very high SoC on more expensive chargers or those with overstay penalties).

Better to have appropriate tariffs, and clear conditions for use, including maximum charge times, and enforce these to discourage undesired behaviours.

And so ends the sermon according to WalkingBootWeather :cool:

The local shopping centre which has recently had 64 x7kw chargers fitted, is active on people blocking ev chargers.
Christmas eve there was a kia niro parked in 1 bay not charging, on my way back 45 minutes later it had a parking ticket in it.

Tbf the painted sign on the floor says ev partking
There is a lot of bad and inconsistent signage around charging bays. At my local Sainsburys I politely pointed out to a guy about a year ago that the 4 EV bays were for charging not for parking Hybrid cars. He pointed to one sign which said For Electric and Hybrid Cars. I pointed out to him that since they were bays with Podpoint Chargers it was for plug-in Hybrids and he has a "Self Charging Hybrid" so he was in effect blocking a bay for someone who might need a charge. He hand-gestured to go forth and multiply and I spoke to the Customer Service desk and emailed PodPoint.

Since then the Signs have changed to say "EV and Hybrid Charging Only" so I feel vindicated and It is now less of an issue at that charging site. So I'd suggest contacting both the site owner and charging provider if any of us see this kind of poor signage - be proactive

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom