Would not stay in D or R

severs1966

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Today, I encountered a curious fault where I pressed the brake and selected R, in the normal way, but then upon letting go of the brake it automatically sent back to P. I tried several times and it would not stay in R. I also tried D but it would not stay in that either.

I switched the car off and on gain and it failed again. I was worried that I would be stranded! I turned the car off an left it off for 2 minutes and turned it on again, and everything was normal and has stayed normal since.

2023 post-facelift model.

Oh that might be it, because I got out and looked to see of there was poor traction, slimy ground etc (it was a car park in a field).

Is it normal that it won't go if a door is open?

Today, I encountered a curious fault where I pressed the brake and selected R, in the normal way, but then upon letting go of the brake it automatically sent back to P. I tried several times and it would not stay in R. I also tried D but it would not stay in that either.

I switched the car off and on gain and it failed again. I was worried that I would be stranded! I turned the car off an left it off for 2 minutes and turned it on again, and everything was normal and has stayed normal since.

2023 post-facelift model.
It happened to me once in my facelift. Halfway out of a parking space in IKEA Leeds. Completely blocking the exit. I never really worked out what it was but when I got out to lock/unlock the car I got lots of suggestions! Fortunately the lock/unlock seemed to work and it has never happened again.

I got caught by the the door being open, too. Definitely a feature, not a bug.

Weird all my doors were closed plus had good signal ? anyway did my o/night charging at home and wanted 100% for trip later and to my amazement my battery read out toldme I had 358 mls on the clock... into LR Tesla territory went on short trip to town and still showing same !
obviously not correct not too concerned car going in for repair in couple weeks time

Oh, and speaking of opening things. I've twice got a wet interior when all the windows opened following an accidental long unlock press on the key fob. They've got a surprisingly long range.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom