X POWER EXPERIENCE.

There isn't.

All that happens in Normal Mode is that when you floor it, the front motor comes into play a split second later.
You can feel it.

In Sport Mode the front motor is on and ready to join in the fun.
Your steering feel also stiffens up a bit.

You say you're underwhelmed???

What on earth have you come away from?

F1 Car?

Typhoon Fighter Jet?

1299 Panigale?

Strap On Cruise Missile?

(No strap on jokes @Iankey)๐Ÿคฃ

I've owned some very fast cars and bikes and the X Power is right up there for sheer accelerative force.

The only time it doesn't feel quite as it should is when your dropping right down the battery percentage level.
I had a Tesla model 3 performance for 4 years before the Xpower. It was one of the early models with the Panasonic battery and 487 bhp. In performance mode the full throttle response was instant and neck snapping at any speed, well up to about 90 mph anyway. In chill mode you had a max of about half power.

Got got bored with it after 4 years, the software updates, while they brought some useful new features, they also brought some irritationg bugs :-(

I am used to driving the 400 BHP 800kg Lotus Elises that I've built so the MG does seem "fairly quick" in comparison.

I thought Normal mode ran just one motor and Sport brought the second into play, my mistake. Hadn't relalised it was just a throttle mapping change.

I had a Tesla model 3 performance for 4 years before the Xpower. It was one of the early models with the Panasonic battery and 487 bhp. In performance mode the full throttle response was instant and neck snapping at any speed, well up to about 90 mph anyway. In chill mode you had a max of about half power.

Got got bored with it after 4 years, the software updates, while they brought some useful new features, they also brought some irritationg bugs :-(

I am used to driving the 400 BHP 800kg Lotus Elises that I've built so the MG does seem "fairly quick" in comparison.

I thought Normal mode ran just one motor and Sport brought the second into play, my mistake. Hadn't relalised it was just a throttle mapping change.

That might explain it m8!

I agree, that if you are used to a decent amount of BHP, then the X Power may seem 'less' impressive than it might be to someone experiencing the "Full Beanage" for the first time.

Have you tried a launch yet?

No more MG for me to be honest, rattles are getting worse Im afraid. Something is definitely loose or vibrating in the headlining above the passenger. I have investigated and short of removing the headlining, I haven't been able to resolve. Oh and did I mention the wind noise that has now decided to start!
I realise that there may be solutions but I don't want to waste time trying to resolve, nor do I want a dealer taking things apart. Thankfully it is a lease so will be going back in 19 months.

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but the honeymoon period is definitely over, just don't know yet what to get next time.

Last edited:
WOW! 400bhp in something so light, impressive. ๐Ÿ‘
Still think the X Power would leave it standing, for a short while at least. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘
Yeah, that much power to just the back wheels can sure lead to traction problems. The MG would leave it for dead for the first 30 yards :)

That might explain it m8!

I agree, that if you are used to a decent amount of BHP, then the X Power may seem 'less' impressive than it might be to someone experiencing the "Full Beanage" for the first time.

Have you tried a launch yet?
"Full Beanage", nice phrase :). Not tried a launch yet, the weather's been a bit crap.

"Full Beanage", nice phrase :). Not tried a launch yet, the weather's been a bit crap.

Don't worry about it being wet.

No, do worry!

The stock rubber does struggle in the wet.

I'm used to my MPS5's giving me supreme confidence and grip in all conditions, especially when its wet.๐Ÿ‘

No more MG for me to be honest, rattles are getting worse Im afraid. Something is definitely loose or vibrating in the headlining above the passenger. I have investigated and short of removing the headlining, I haven't been able to resolve. Oh and did I mention the wind noise that has now decided to start!
I realise that there may be solutions but I don't want to waste time trying to resolve, nor do I want a dealer taking things apart. Thankfully it is a lease so will be going back in 19 months.

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but the honeymoon period is definitely over, just don't know yet what to get next time.

Sorry to hear about your woes m8.

I was only considering today out on a spirited drive, how very good my car is.

Touch wood, just over 7000 miles now and not a peep out of it.

No rattles or squeaks.

Just the odd squeal, from the passenger seat.

My temperature sensor problem notwithstanding, the only regular glitch is the rear camera picture staying blue.

And even that seems to be happening much less frequently than before the update to R46.

Doesn't help you I know, and I feel for you I really do.

I've had vehicles in the past that I couldn't wait to see the back of.

Can you buy yourself out of the lease without too much pain?

Here's my next squeeze......

Screenshot_20240502_153643_Chrome.jpg

To be honest I enjoy driving the car itself and it never fails to raise a grin, it was excellent while away in Dorset. However Im starting to understand how others feel about the car.
I wont be buying myself out of the contract, not worth it, keep my money for next time.

The Ioniq 5 N is nice, I have always liked the design, but not at, currently, between approx ยฃ800 and a ยฃ1000 a month!

Any sports bike, 900cc+ will demolish even the Xpower on roll-on acceleration. It's all about power to weight ratios.
Dying 3 times in 24 hours followed by 5 years in a wheelchair, 33 fractures & 9 further operations mean I prefer the x power. I was doing less than 40mph when a tractor & trailer decided to wipe me out. Its all about body to tarmac ratios ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Dying 3 times in 24 hours followed by 5 years in a wheelchair, 33 fractures & 9 further operations mean I prefer the x power. I was doing less than 40mph when a tractor & trailer decided to wipe me out. Its all about body to tarmac ratios ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Ouch! That sounds horrendous.

I was quite lucky, got knocked off my bike at night in wet weather by a truck that decided to change lane when I was beside it. I went skating along the road on my backside till I collided with a stationary car on the other side of the road. Good thing there was a traffic jam! I fractured my pelvis but got away with just being put in traction for a while.

You can do nothing wrong but still get swatted. Happens in cars as well but at least you have more protection with a metal cage around you. I still miss my bike but I haven't been tempted back onto one, apart from one quick ride around when I got out of hospital.

I think that my time on bikes made me a more attentive and alert driver...

Jeeeeeezus.
I can see why you prefer the X Power m8.

Glad your still here to tell the tale!

I'm away touring next week on my bike and I have yet to had anything bad happen. (Touch Wood)

Oh don't get me wrong, I could have been killed plenty of times.

Just my skill, road sense, and cat like reactions keeping me off the slab.

Oh and did I mention the Bucket Full Of Luck that had been bestowed upon me also?

I really enjoy my bike, but Good God, you have got to have your wits about you!

Last edited:
Been driving this car for nearly six months now (hit 2700 miles last week) and it still brings me joy every time I drive it - whether I'm feeling in a casual driving mood, or if I am feeling rather aggressive and stick it into sports mode.

I dropped the missus off at bingo on Saturday and stopped at lights on a dual-carriageway with a couple of speed cameras on the upcoming stretch of road. A BMW 3-series came (2012 plate I think with a loud smokey exhaust) alongside me in the left lane and put his foot down once the lights changed green....knowing there was a camera not far ahead, I was conscious to keep below 40 as I pulled away so only put a little effort in the acceralation to keep in front of him until he decided to risk the limit (like the Amercian Pie 2 Jim/Stiffler scene - I wasnt even trying - you were trying??).....anyhoo, as we approach the 2nd camera, I had set ACC to 40 so not to go over the limit so by the time I got past the camera he was already about 70 yards ahead...needless to say, I caught up with him very quickly dropped into his lane ahead of him as we approached traffic :)

Anyway, on Sunday I was driving back from my mother's and was behind a driver who was inconsistent between 20-30 (in a 30) so surprised my wife and kids when I had the opportunity to overtake and the ease and speed of it is just mindblowing, so effortless.

Sorry, got carried away....like I say, even after 6 months of driving this thing, I honestly just love it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom