X Power Vibes Fix?

I feel a bit stitched up now, even though Howard's have never contacted me since I picked up my car in Oct 23.
Either they have lost the franchise or they have decided they don't want the franchise anymore🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408_140732_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408_140732_Gmail.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 68
I feel a bit stitched up now, even though Howard's have never contacted me since I picked up my car in Oct 23.
Either they have lost the franchise or they have decided they don't want the franchise anymore🤷‍♂️

Bit odd that m8.

I thought only "struggling" dealers were giving up the franchise.

Agreed, perhaps they don't like the way they are being treated by MG and voting with their feet.

MG making them look bad by not supplying parts quickly enough or settling warranty payments promptly. 🤔

Bit odd that m8.

I thought only "struggling" dealers were giving up the franchise.

Agreed, perhaps they don't like the way they are being treated by MG and voting with their feet.

MG making them look bad by not supplying parts quickly enough or settling warranty payments promptly. 🤔

Just had an private e-mail from the groups sales manager. He said it wasn't due to MG directly but they needed the showroom space (presumably for one of the other marques they sell).

I know he said verbally to me a few weeks ago that there is very poor margin on MG cars so they couldn't compete with some of the bigger dealers who were selling at near to cost, just to get their sales figures up. He couldn't get anywhere near to the deal we were offered by Hendy, so suspect this was all part of their reason for giving up the franchise

Vospers Plymouth is now my nearest dealer so hopefully they will be OK....I always feel that you don't get 100% tip top service if you haven't bought the car from that dealer.
I also hope that they know about the hum/vibe situation.

Vospers Plymouth is now my nearest dealer so hopefully they will be OK....I always feel that you don't get 100% tip top service if you haven't bought the car from that dealer.

Try Nathaniel MG Cardiff m8.

They have a very good rep.

I'm going to be using their Bridgend Branch for my service this year.

And look at the Tip Top Service I didn't receive from my supplying dealer!

I'm very much looking forward to taking my business elsewhere.

Try Nathaniel MG Cardiff m8.

They have a very good rep.

I'm going to be using their Bridgend Branch for my service this year.

And look at the Tip Top Service I didn't receive from my supplying dealer!

I'm very much looking forward to taking my business elsewhere.
Nathaniel are coming to Swansea. Already got signs up for recruiting staff. They're taking over the old Jaguar Land Rover site.

Drive (Patchway, Bristol) is still an MG dealer, or it was when I went past them last week. Wouldn't they be closer to you?

So heard back from Hendy Poole today who have our new X-Power for the vibe issue

Apparently MG UK have now acknowledged there is a problem and the engineering team in china are actively working on a fix but there are currently no timescales.

So now got to decide to go through the rig-moral of formally rejecting the car or taking a leap of faith that a fix will be the pipeline.

I know what we should do but I guess we could end up with transport for weeks whilst a rejection gets formalised. Tough decision to make.

There is definitely something going on regards adjustments in tyre pressure.

The way it affects the tyre and subsequently what vibes are felt is real.

I've been playing with the pressures and went up as far as 43psi (circa 3.0 bar)

The vibes were worse than they have ever been before!

Think @seamust1000 cattle grid example.

Back down to 41psi. Imperceptible!

I know the circumference should not change much, (if at all) but the amount of tread in direct contact with the road might?

Again, I can't see how or why, but just know that it does.

I've been reading up a lot on the 'tinternet' and there seem to be many arguments both for and against how different a tyre can be at different pressures.

Extremes of pressure, I can understand, 10 psi for example.

I mean, some modern TPMS are triggered when a tyre deflates, thus altering the circumference to a degree that the computer can see, via the ABS sensor, and trigger the alarm. (Happy to be corrected by @siteguru OBV's.)

The tyre then, I presume? can be taller or shorter (if you catch my drift) thus changing various angles in the related drive shaft to motor connection?

This must be having an effect on what we feel at the wheel or in the seat?

Sadly I don't have the definitive answer, but I just know it makes a difference.

To be clear, it makes a very real difference to me.

So much so, that if my car had been running at 41psi from new, I don't think I would have noticed a thing.

Last edited:
Be really interesting to know what percentage of cars this effects.

Was just speaking to the sales manager of Howards Yeovil (who are ditching MG at the end of this month). Out of their tiny salesroom there, they have sold 10 X-Powers and only 1 had the vibration issue. Perhaps this is why it's taking MG so long to address the issue?

Gives me hope that our replacement X-Power may not be affected when it finally arrives.

Putting mine at 41psi has completely lowered the vibe/hum...it's still there slightly, there is no cattle gridding, which was an in and out sort of vibration.
I've also noticed that driving normally, the car is a lot smoother...road noise is less too.

I still want MG to fix my car though or I will still reject it, I have all the emails when I complained in October 23...and all the emails that my dealer told me to just wait and see what MG can do. My dealer hasn't even had my car in to test it and they promised a new under tray too which was supposed to be on order🤷‍♂️.

No word, not a sausage, sweet bugger all.

Now my dealer has given up the MG franchise.

Greetings, new member here looking to get an X-POWER after test drive yesterday - very impressed with the performance. Not so impressed with reported issues.

Has anyone checked for 'out of round' tyres?

Hi and welcome to the forum 👍

There are many threads on here with a lot of attempts to eliminate the vibes but none seem to have fully worked as far as I know.

From memory I'd summarise the findings as follows :-

• The vibes seem to differ quite markedly between cars (in some they're negligible, in others far worse)
  • They seem to lessen with mileage
  • A tyre change and balance seem to improve things a fair bit.
  • They are worse at a steady cruise around 66-74mph for most people
  • Flat spots on new tyres have been discussed previously and, as above, a tyre change / balance may improve things.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has cured it by replacing the tyres. Not a cheap option but a possible one to suggest to a dealer.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom