X Power Vibes Fix?

Bricktop X PWR

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Right!

That got your attention!

Ignore your dashboard Tyre Pressure readings and get yourself a Tyre Pressure gauge that you can trust.

Pump your tyres up to 40 psi (from cold) and go for a drive.

You should notice a difference?

I got the idea from @DougC when I saw his Tyre pressures on Saturday.

The fact that he had a six month old car, with OEM Chinese Bridgestones and NO vibes really got me thinking.

His pressures were higher than mine being the only difference.

I've always run mine at an indicated Dash Reading of 2.7 BAR approx 39 psi.
(OEM is 2.5 bar 37psi)

Yet on checking with a reliable gauge the reading said 36 psi!! (Cold)

Pumped up to 40 psi and the vibes are for all intents and purposes, gone!!

This would explain why we are all experiencing different 'feelings'

We will all no doubt have slight variations in pressures, hence the massive discrepancy in reports of severity or not, as the case may be.

So to conclude
Get a gauge you trust.
Pump up to 40/41 psi from Cold.
See what you think.

20240402_105127.jpg

(After) Not a great picture but that is 40 psi
Forgot to do a before. Soz.

20240402_105131.jpg

20240402_105123.jpg

This final picture is my car saying in BAR circa 40 psi, but at the tyre, the actual reading is just 36 psi!!!

Last edited:
I'll concur with Bricktop, I increased the tyre pressure to 41psi cold on all 4 tyres.

I have tested on the M5 and the vibration is now very very slight...the hum has gone and there is very little road noise🤷‍♂️.

I mean UN BLOODY BELIEVABLE! 🤣

I am writing to the bloke who I spoke to at MG some months ago and will be interested to hear his thoughts!!

I'm going on a longer journey on Friday so will give it another test.
I also noticed that the mls/kwh has increased too, I'm sure the vibe/hum must have been causing some kind of friction that must have made the car work harder.

Just a word of caution. I did something similar on my Ford Focus. I increased the tyre pressures by a few psi as I was driving to Brittany for a fortnights holiday and had a boot full of luggage. After a couple of days I could hear a feint hum from the rear and thought one of the wheel bearings was going.
It turned out because I had increased the tyre pressures but didn't have enough weight in the car the camber of the rear tyres meant it put undue pressure on the inner edge and caused castellation of the tyres. The cure was two new tyres.
Hopefully it won't happen to the MG4 but regularly check tyre wear, especially the edges, for the first couple of thousand miles.

I've always run mine at an indicated Dash Reading of 2.7 BAR approx 39 PSI.

Yet on checking with a reliable gauge the reading said 36 PSI!! (Cold)
Would the higher dash reading be from temperature changing the pressure? If you've been driving for awhile the heat will make the pressure increase. Then when you measure cold it goes down.

My dash reading is in kpa. I filled my tyres to 40psi cold a few weeks ago, and depending on the ambient temperature the dash reading has gone up to as much as 300kpa (3 BAR) Unfortunately I still get vibes, though not as much as when I first got the car. I notice it more when regen is set higher.

Inflate your tyres to 40/41psi cold and give it a test
I have, see my reply above. I'm in Australia and we're in Autumn, but still get 30C days. My understanding is that tyre pressures get higher with heat, either from sun exposure or from being driven?

268kpa after 200miles = roughly 39psi (warm) therefore cold pressure must be lower?

I have, see my reply above. I'm in Australia and we're in Autumn, but still get 30C days. My understanding is that tyre pressures get higher with heat, either from sun exposure or from being driven?

268kpa after 200miles = roughly 39psi (warm) therefore cold pressure must be lower?

They do, but ignore that.
Forget the numbers when they are hot.
Block it out and ignore it.

Fill your tyres at home, first thing in the morning after the car has sat all night.

Fill to 40psi and see what you think.

Last edited:
Inflate your tyres to 40/41psi cold and give it a test
Did this earlier and just had a drive around the local area, getting up to 70mph were allowed. Did not notice any difference to vibes at that speed, still slight.
However at lower speeds, there was an increase of vibration/feedback harshness into car and through steering. Which is only to be expected due to the higher pressures. Im going on a longer drive tomorrow anyway, so will leave pressures for now and see how things are.
If no improvement, I will reduce to recommended as most of my trips are at lower speeds and I dont want the increased low speed vibes.

Just a word of caution. I did something similar on my Ford Focus. I increased the tyre pressures by a few psi as I was driving to Brittany for a fortnights holiday and had a boot full of luggage. After a couple of days I could hear a feint hum from the rear and thought one of the wheel bearings was going.
It turned out because I had increased the tyre pressures but didn't have enough weight in the car the camber of the rear tyres meant it put undue pressure on the inner edge and caused castellation of the tyres. The cure was two new tyres.
Hopefully it won't happen to the MG4 but regularly check tyre wear, especially the edges, for the first couple of thousand miles.

Appreciate your concern m8, but we are only going up 1 or 2 psi on the recommended pressure of 39 psi.

As I said earlier, the car, OK, my car, was reading the correct BAR, but on checking with a trusted TPG, was just 36psi.

I still can't quite understand how a few psi should make a difference, but in my case, @seamust1000 and @DougC it definitely has. 👍

Did this earlier and just had a drive around the local area, getting up to 70mph were allowed. Did not notice any difference to vibes at that speed, still slight.
However at lower speeds, there was an increase of vibration/feedback harshness into car and through steering. Which is only to be expected due to the higher pressures. Im going on a longer drive tomorrow anyway, so will leave pressures for now and see how things are.
If no improvement, I will reduce to recommended as most of my trips are at lower speeds and I dont want the increased low speed vibes.

Did you ever get the tyres rebalanced m8?

Only asking as a few folk had an improvement with a balance alone.

Is the recommended pressure on the X-Power 39 psi? On the SE (with 17" wheels) it is 37 psi.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom