Runcible

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi all,

I'm not a MG4 driver (yet) but hoping to arrange a test drive of the XPOWER in the near future. Lease deals seems to be very similar to the Trophy LR so it's likely to be a toss up between the two for me.

Forgive me for the basic questions, I am very much a car novice. I'm interested to know - does it drive like a 'normal' car if you refrain from putting your foot down? I will be the main driver but my wife may use it on occasion if her car is in the shop or otherwise and she'll be much less keen to floor it than me. Especially it's just for the school run!

Does eco mode affect how it drives? I am hoping if it is in this mode it drives much more sensibly in a way she'd prefer.

Eco mode gives the best efficiency and least amount of acceleration. By default the car starts in Normal mode every time. To get to Eco, you hit the star button on the steering wheel 4 times (if you have this setup as a favourite) or home/car icon/Eco mode on the screen. So either way it will have to become part of your/your wife's seatbelt ritual.

Thank you!

Is there noticeable driving difference between the various modes? And I am assuming Launch control is only enabled in Sport mode or some other explicit setting? I'd hate for it to be accidently triggered

Last edited:
I would ignore Eco mode.
All it does IMO, is make the throttle pedal very slow to respond.

I doubt there are any other 'things' going on in the background.

You cannot accidentally trigger Launch Mode.

You will soon get used to Normal mode which is default, and one less thing to mess around with at start up.

Anyway, it will be your car, your rules, so have fun.

You can download the MG4 manual and read all about what the various modes do.
It's just variations in traction control, steering feel and regen settings depending on various weather conditions etc.

Screenshot_20240327_141626_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Normally I do rtfm but the xpower one isn't available online. But it sounds like the standard manual is applicable for the xpower for pretty much everything anyway, perhaps apart from the new screens (launch control, etc)

Driving an EV is different to most other vehicles, but an XPower in Normal mode is pretty much a normal EV with a reasonable amount of power under the pedal if you need to use it, and it's the standard mode every time you start the car. Suspension on the XPower is quite hard, so if driving over bumpy roads or potholes it's a bit shaky, but you soon get used to it. If two people are driving the car it's a shame there is no memory function for the electric seats. I find it a bit strange that you need to get out of the car (in my case with loud music blaring) and close and lock the door to switch it off, and my wife still gets in and tries to press a non-existent start button.

Forgive me for the basic questions, I am very much a car novice. I'm interested to know - does it drive like a 'normal' car if you refrain from putting your foot down?

Yes👍😊, as the posts above describe - I have found it very easy to drive "slowly" and economically like a normal ICE car in both Normal mode or ECO mode. You only know it has a lot of power if you use a heavy right foot 😉. In fact I think you will find it a lot smoother and easier to drive than an ICE car (having no gears etc...).

The biggest hurdle for my Mrs was getting used to the technology and learning how to turn things off or on (like Lane Keep Assist etc...) but perhaps your Mrs is more IT experienced 😊

Other good points for the Trophy and Xpower IMHO is the parking sensors and 360 cameras which makes parking very easy to judge once you get used to the fish eye lenses !!

Thank you. Yes it will be a learning curve - this will be my first EV and I've never driven one. Last time I had an automatic was an old Fiesta nearly 3 decades ago. And my current car is getting on for 15 years so I have a lot of catching up to do! Looking forward to it though

How noticeable is the performance switching from Normal to Sport?

The throttle response in Sport is a lot more "reactive" - so a smaller squeeze on the accelerator is needed to get power. There is a graph somewhere on the forum that shows the profiles of each mode.

As I said above I think you'll find the driving will be easy to get used to and quite a joy !! 👍

It's the technology and driving aids that will take time to adapt to if you're current car is 15 years old.

Last edited:
If you have never driven an EV one thing to get used to is a lot of control is in a relatively short space of travel in the accelerator pedal. This is true for acceleration and braking as the regen can feel aggressive if you lift off too quickly.

All EV's will feel like they are accelerating quite quickly as there is no pause as the engine moves through the peak power of the rev range and each gear, they essentially just pull from zero to max speed.

Yes it is a learning curve but one you can probably master in less than a week of driving the car. After that you can start to play with the settings to find the combination that works best for your driving style.

The nice thing about the XPower is you can use it as a shopping trolly or an F1 car depending on your mood and road conditions. It will change your perception of what a suitable gap is for pulling out and how much space you need to overtake slower moving traffic.

There will a tonne of new stuff for me to learn which I'm looking forward to
Yes there will be but you will soon learn it all very quickly.

I have found it very nice and smooth (and quiet) to drive, the acceleration is very quick (even quicker on the XPOWER) but you soon learn to just touch the pedal to slowly accelerate.

I was quite nervous the first time in an EV (MG4 Trophy) on the test drive, The car was parked in a row of other MG's and about 10foot in front of me was a parked Mercedes AMG and I was quite scared that I would touch the accelerator and the car would shoot forward at speed but it did not, it just started to slowly move and was really controllable.
The main concern was when I went back to pick up the brand new car and then being left alone to work things out on the way home but the drive was fabulous. Once I got home then I started to look and play with stuff and do the various settings etc but in the end after 4 weeks I just don't bother with Regen settings and Drive mode, I just get in and glide off silently.

I must be one of the few that actively likes the softer throttle response. I generally have custom set to all the horses available but at a slower response on the throttle (and OPD whenever possible too)

I find with the shorter throttle travel modes I’m only ever using a fraction of it and I tend to tense/cramp my calf trying to be gentle and smooth but that’s likely a me issue obvs.

Still hoping for a drive mode save as I have a few things I do set (every b*star* time) 🙄

Thank you all. It does sound like what I'm looking for - practical, good value but and fun when I want it to be. I really like the sound of the Ioniq 5 N but it's too expensive for me. Even the entry level Ioniq 5 is too much!

Seems like there are a lot of tech issues and potential faults to be aware of but I'll look out for those.

Still hoping for a drive mode save as I have a few things I do set (every b*star* time) 🙄

Totally agree with this, along with remembering what features you've turned off/on (LKA for example!). Tied to key fob would be amazing, but even just via the screen would do

Hi all,

I'm not a MG4 driver (yet) but hoping to arrange a test drive of the XPOWER in the near future. Lease deals seems to be very similar to the Trophy LR so it's likely to be a toss up between the two for me.

Forgive me for the basic questions, I am very much a car novice. I'm interested to know - does it drive like a 'normal' car if you refrain from putting your foot down? I will be the main driver but my wife may use it on occasion if her car is in the shop or otherwise and she'll be much less keen to floor it than me. Especially it's just for the school run!

Does eco mode affect how it drives? I am hoping if it is in this mode it drives much more sensibly in a way she'd prefer.
My wife is probably the main driver of our xpower. I suggested to her that she drives in ECO all the time. Even then, it’s still somewhat pokey. I think she’d ban me from driving it if she knew just how quick it is in SPORT. She must never find out!

My wife is probably the main driver of our xpower. I suggested to her that she drives in ECO all the time. Even then, it’s still somewhat pokey. I think she’d ban me from driving it if she knew just how quick it is in SPORT. She must never find out!
Oh she will find out 😂

If you have never driven an EV one thing to get used to is a lot of control is in a relatively short space of travel in the accelerator pedal. This is true for acceleration and braking as the regen can feel aggressive if you lift off too quickly.

All EV's will feel like they are accelerating quite quickly as there is no pause as the engine moves through the peak power of the rev range and each gear, they essentially just pull from zero to max speed.

Yes it is a learning curve but one you can probably master in less than a week of driving the car. After that you can start to play with the settings to find the combination that works best for your driving style.

The nice thing about the XPower is you can use it as a shopping trolly or an F1 car depending on your mood and road conditions. It will change your perception of what a suitable gap is for pulling out and how much space you need to overtake slower moving traffic.
Well said. Advanced driving techniques suit ev,s to a T. I am not trying to sound like an expert driver I only want to help.
Here are 2 simple tricks to improve your ev experience:
1. As soon as you see the lights turn red etc “lift off” your accelerator, you will be amazed how far it will travel even on max regeneration, also once you get to your required “safe speed” practice creeping back the accelerator pedal, the car will still do the same speed but the power consumption will drop.
2. When you do need your brake & the pedal pressure is scrubbing off the speed use the same technique (slowly release pedal pressure) & practice coming to a smooth “jolt free stop”.
On my double decker bus driving test I had 2 examiners onboard. The Chief examiner stood in the isle & his mentor sat down. I used the above techniques to such effect that the mentor was sound asleep! Moral “your passenger will appreciate smooth motion “
Anyway as usual I am rattling on, have a lovely Easter 👍

Last edited:
Well said. Advanced driving techniques suit ev,s to a T. I am not trying to sound like an expert driver I only want to help.
Here are 2 simple tricks to improve your ev experience:
1. As soon as you see the lights turn red etc “lift off” your accelerator, you will be amazed how far it will travel even on max regeneration, also once you get to your required “safe speed” practice creeping back the accelerator pedal, the car will still do the same speed but the power consumption will drop.
2. When you do need your brake & the pedal pressure is scrubbing off the speed use the same technique (slowly release pedal pressure) & practice coming to a smooth “jolt free stop”.
On my double decker bus driving test I had 2 examiners onboard. The Chief examiner stood in the isle & his mentor sat down. I used the above techniques to such effect that the mentor was sound asleep! Moral bring “your passenger will appreciate smooth motion “
Anyway as usual I am rattling on, have a lovely Easter 👍
Well said. I've been a driver in fire service for longer than I want to admit.
Even in blues they teach you to drive smoothly. All the same principles can be applied to driving and vehicle but especially an EV. Although not everyone in my job seems to listen 😬

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom