code10

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hi all, my new Camden grey Xpower was delivered this week, first impressions:

• car looks great in Camden grey, black bonnet badges added and think I’ll keep the orange brake covers for a bit of colour.
  • full power mode is really good fun.
  • seats are comfy and the cabin is generally quiet.
  • I have the vibration between 65 - 75, will have to raise this with the dealer, it’s really off putting when it’s so smooth outside of this zone.
  • Any driving automation is very poorly implemented, steering or distance control is overly aggressive and really can’t be used.
  • consumption is very poor, I am coming from a Kia E-Niro which would do 3.x m/kw min in all conditions, that community takes about how to get the magic 5m/kw !!
  • I drove the Xpower in eco everything mode with aircon off at mixed speeds but lots of 40/50/60mph and no heavy acceleration over 40 miles and I saw 3 m/kw - this is very poor, in the Kia I would have seen over 4, even in these temps. I almost think it’s worth zooming everywhere and at least enjoying the poor range!
  • There is a very high frequency squeak coming from somewhere that I will ask the dealer about.
  • did I mention how much fun full power mode is?
  • not having an on / off buttton is just crazy, I will enjoy explaining that process of muting the radio and using to power off menu to my wife…

I hope some of the issues can be resolved by the dealer and some will get better with software updates (does anyone know the latest version number and how to check pls?)

I have been lurking and reading lots of the threads on here (thanks for so much great info!) so my list of woes is not a surprise as I have seen others comment on them - if anyone finds solutions please do share :)

Cheers,
Code10

Not sure I should admit this but efficiency wasn't a consideration for me. I wanted a fun car for local trips (we have a large PHEV estate for family rides and longer distances).

But anyway the cheap overnight tariff from Octopus swamps the efficiency issue. The car will charge from 0-100% for under £5.

Given that I floor it at will.

Last edited:
Not sure I should admit this but efficiency wasn't a consideration for me. I wanted a fun car for local trips (we have a large PHEV estate for family rides and longer distances).

But anyway the cheap overnight tariff from Octopus swamps the efficiency issue for me. The car will charge from 0-100% for under £5.

“Given that I floor it at will”

Lol - exactly, well put !
Saving a ton of money compared to the old v6.

I have Octopus also so day to day its not an issue but I guess I never really understood what the fuss about range anxiety was before....

Do you by any chance think, "full power mode is really good fun" 😉 seriously though so would I, and it's gotta be done at every opportunity. Probably why most people buy an X Power. 🙂👍

Vibration, that's a big problem. In France, owners are starting to launch legal proceedings.
MG France don't have any solutions for steering wheel vibrations

its pretty bad, not sure how it passed any quality control and I didn't hear any of the reviewers in general media talk about it either.
Come to think of it that's true. Of all the reviews that I've watched/read and believe me there's been a lot, I can't recall many, if any, mentioning the vibration problem. Odd. 🤔

But anyway the cheap overnight tariff from Octopus swamps the efficiency issue for me. The car will charge from 0-100% for under £5.

Agreed.
Didn't purchase the MG4XP with efficiency as a consideration.
I mean, I didn't buy my V8s worrying about MPG!

I tend to think of it as a more planet friendly way of getting about very quickly.

Probably just kidding myself TBH.

Vibration, that's a big problem. In France, owners are starting to launch legal proceedings.
MG France don't have any solutions for steering wheel vibrations
Legal proceedings already!!!

Blimey, the French don't hang about!!!

I'm nearly 2 months in to my Xpower lease/salary sacrifice and all going well. MG Crawley had a go at the vibration and re-balanced the front tyres. It's definitely better but something still there although it's no more noticeable than poor quality roads like the M25 clockwise near Cobham/Heathrow area, the noisy concrete slabs! I drive it normally and don't personally get a lot of chance to blast around it Sport just for the sake of it. I want a balance of efficiency and fun, if I want to have a day of zooming about then I will. If I'm going on a road trip, then I'll use Eco so I'm not stopping every 100 miles. Great car, a few niggles & eccentricities but every time I get in it, I'm happier than my previous Audi E-tron (comfortable and spacious) but Xpower is just more fun.

Still loving mine ... I agree efficiency could be a bit better but there again it does'nt seem that much worse than what Trophy owners are reporting, so can't really complain.

I've found turning on "Energy Saving Mode" (not ECO mode) is the best way to improve range if you really really need to. I think it limits power output to nearly everything 😒.

Attachments

• IMG_2754 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2754 - Copy.JPG
    406.7 KB · Views: 82
Whenever anyone asks me about range, I always point them to ev-database.org/uk/ in the first instance to get their view of "Real Range" - they quote 200 for the Xpower which over the course of the year probably averages out correctly and gives 3.23mls/kWh (per usable battery of 61.8 from MG UK brochure). This of course is an average, not everyone goes on motorways each day and not everyone does launch control from every set of lights, there are lots of boring slow journeys and of course the traffic we all get stuck in.

Hi all, my new Camden grey Xpower was delivered this week, first impressions:

• car looks great in Camden grey, black bonnet badges added and think I’ll keep the orange brake covers for a bit of colour.
  • seats are comfy and the cabin is generally quiet.
  • I have the vibration between 65 - 75, will have to raise this with the dealer, it’s really off putting when it’s so smooth outside of this zone.
  • Any driving automation is very poorly implemented, steering or distance control is overly aggressive and really can’t be used.
  • consumption is very poor, I am coming from a Kia E-Niro which would do 3.x m/kw min in all conditions, that community takes about how to get the magic 5m/kw !!
  • I drove the Xpower in eco everything mode with aircon off at mixed speeds but lots of 40/50/60mph and no heavy acceleration over 40 miles and I saw 3 m/kw - this is very poor, in the Kia I would have seen over 4, even in these temps. I almost think it’s worth zooming everywhere and at least enjoying the poor range!
  • There is a very high frequency squeak coming from somewhere that I will ask the dealer about.
  • did I mention how much fun full power mode is?
  • not having an on / off buttton is just crazy, I will enjoy explaining that process of muting the radio and using to power off menu to my wife…

I hope some of the issues can be resolved by the dealer and some will get better with software updates (does anyone know the latest version number and how to check pls?)

I have been lurking and reading lots of the threads on here (thanks for so much great info!) so my list of woes is not a surprise as I have seen others comment on them - if anyone finds solutions please do share :)

Cheers,
Code10
Regarding the vibration, check your tyre pressure and wheel balance. My pressures were out of whack on delivery, front driver over and rear passenger under. Wheel balance was off on all wheels by 30 to 40 grams. It's not perfect but much better now from 100km/h and over.

Regarding the vibration, check your tyre pressure and wheel balance. My pressures were out of whack on delivery, front driver over and rear passenger under. Wheel balance was off on all wheels by 30 to 40 grams. It's not perfect but much better now from 100km/h and over.
30 to 40 grams is a lot. Under 10 grams most people would not notice, under 5 grams almost none would know. 40 is a lot more than that

30 to 40 grams is a lot. Under 10 grams most people would not notice, under 5 grams almost none would know. 40 is a lot more than that
Exactly, which explains the vibrations. It's not completely gone, but much, much better now. I don't have the dampener fix installed yet. Hoping that will eliminate everything. The shop know what they are doing, they have a Hunter Road Force alignment machine. I actually asked for an alignment with that but they suggested wheel balancing should be sufficient. They explained that most manufacturers balance wheels in bulk batches, so if the settings are wrong or slightly off on the machine, it will affect a large number (but not all) owners.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom