XPower - is it nickable?

I keep my keys in a tin can (one of those fake ones that you can hide valuables in) and it works perfectly. You could also put them in the microwave as they have their own faraday cage, just remember to take them out before you heat up your porridge in the morning!! :D

I understood from the MG manual that the keys had to be within 1.5mtrs of the car for the keyless operation to work. This thread sounded a bit concerning, so I've just made a very unscientific check by moving my keys towards the car, and mine didn't indeed work until almost exactly 1.5 mtrs from the button (i.e. not the closest part of the car). Have others found this not to be the case, or does the range perhaps deteriorate or change with age?

I understood from the MG manual that the keys had to be within 1.5mtrs of the car for the keyless operation to work. This thread sounded a bit concerning, so I've just made a very unscientific check by moving my keys towards the car, and mine didn't indeed work until almost exactly 1.5 mtrs from the button (i.e. not the closest part of the car). Have others found this not to be the case, or does the range perhaps deteriorate or change with age?
Yes the keys only work in a short distance and even directional, but what the relay attack does it bridge the distance so the keys are in the house but the device picks up the signal and then transmits it to the other party standing by the car who then send the signal to the car, so the car believes the key is within the 1.5m and lets the button unlock the doors, then it believes they key is inside the vehicle and lets it start.
So this is why the faraday box is required so the signal from they key cannot be picked up by the attacker
Some key fobs will stop sending the signal unless they detect movement, I dont think the mg ones do this.

In theory if your keys are more than 1.5m from an outside wall then the thieving scrotes won't be able to use a signal booster to open the doors and pinch the car. To be on the safe side I keep my keys in a Faraday box.

That does not take into account relay access theft where the signal booster has to be within 1.5 meters of the key and the person trying to steal the car can be further away.

Yes the keys only work in a short distance and even directional, but what the relay attack does it bridge the distance so the keys are in the house but the device picks up the signal and then transmits it to the other party standing by the car who then send the signal to the car, so the car believes the key is within the 1.5m and lets the button unlock the doors, then it believes they key is inside the vehicle and lets it start.
So this is why the faraday box is required so the signal from they key cannot be picked up by the attacker
Some key fobs will stop sending the signal unless they detect movement, I dont think the mg ones do this.
In theory if your keys are more than 1.5m from an outside wall then the thieving scrotes won't be able to use a signal booster to open the doors and pinch the car. To be on the safe side I keep my keys in a Faraday box.

That does not take into account relay access theft where the signal booster has to be within 1.5 meters of the key and the person trying to steal the car can be further away.
Thanks all; now I understand the concern ... I'm afraid I'm new to this level of modern technology in order to get into one's car - and certainly to the 'sophisticated' level of thievery used these days. Perhaps simplest is for us to move the key tray farther away from the front hall, and/or alternatively to go and find that old vintage cocoa tin ... but then perhaps those 'bar-stewards' will just come up with a super-booster-booster with long-distance scanners and goodness knows what else that I am sure I will never understand.

If the connectivity with the car were more consistent then the car could use 2FA to request authorisation. This function could be enabled where there was a worry about stealing.

If the connectivity with the car were more consistent then the car could use 2FA to request authorisation. This function could be enabled where there was a worry about stealing.
Can I assume by 2FA you are referring to two-factor authentification - the totally necessary but equally horrible bain of our present times? If so then - whilst I fully respect and certainly don't quibble with your reasoning in life today - it has to be viewed as one of the most incredible suggestions I have heard for enabling access to your own vehicle. Perhaps it should apply to our front doors too, in all reality? Just a very sad indictment of our times, I guess ... I am just too old for it all.

Last edited:

Just wondering is the scanner used for pinching the keys info ready available? Or custom made, as I had my garage door remote cloned at a locksmiths shop.

Can I assume by 2FA you are referring to two-factor authentification - the totally necessary but equally horrible bain of our present times? If so then - whilst I fully respect and certainly don't quibble with your reasoning in life today - it has to be viewed as one of the most incredible suggestions I have heard for enabling access to your own vehicle. Perhaps it should apply to our front doors too, in all reality? Just a very sad indictment of our times, I guess ... I am just too old for it all.
Perhaps incredible but not impractical. And, no, it should not be applied to our front doors because those, unless yours is different, are protected by non-electronically operated locks and thus immune to relay attacks. Hence police advice to add a mechanical steering wheel lock if you are worried about car-theft because that is harder to deal with than using a scanner from the dark web.

Faraday pouches from Amazon work for a while then become useless, once the material inside becomes the slightest bit worn ( which it will pushing the key in there) they no longer work properly.
A small tin is the way to go or keep the key well away from the front of the house.

If our cars don,t start up until the brake pedal is pressed, could a hidden kill switch be incorporated onto the supply wire ( I think its orange ) for the brake pedal switch. An extra thing to turn on/off when exiting or entering the car? but at least could stop someone making off with it after they have circumvented any other security options.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom