Xpower upgrades

shinyrobot

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
OK hive mind, 2 questions...
1) What upgrades would you make to your Xpower?
2) What should MG change in the next version?

Yeah, 19s and lowered would look cool!! I'm already nervous about bellying the battery though. Mainly due to those sharp square speed bumps in the UK.
I'd like MG to add front parking sensors, and bring back the kers and mode switches (from the ZS / MG5).
Oh and back seat lights, so the kids can actually put their bloody seatbelts on (what does MG have against kids?!)

Yeah, 19s and lowered would look cool!! I'm already nervous about bellying the battery though. Mainly due to those sharp square speed bumps in the UK.
Totally agree about those stupid square speed bumps, obviously where I live and know where they are, I'll avoid like the plague. But in a place you haven't been before and come across them, I drive VERY slowly over them to one side, never straight over them, should be OK if you did that. 🙂👍

Totally agree about those stupid square speed bumps, obviously where I live and know where they are, I'll avoid like the plague. But in a place you haven't been before and come across them, I drive VERY slowly over them to one side, never straight over them, should be OK if you did that. 🙂👍
Yup, that's become my standard too

Much More POWER 👍

One touch LKA Off.

Perhaps an "option" tyre.

Done the flaps, black front badge, front and rear dash cam (I did love the camera system on my model 3)
Rear LED indicators and reverse lights.

And look, don't tell anybody else, but until I saw @shinyrobot 's post above, I didn't realise I didn't have any front bloody sensors!

Just assumed being "top of the range" they would be standard!

And yes MG, rear lights!!!

Last edited:
Offer it in yellow.
Like this:

IMG_20240106_125929.jpg

OK hive mind, 2 questions...
1) What upgrades would you make to your Xpower?
2) What should MG change in the next version?
Better software also the car needs to remember setting from last trip, totally stupid it reset every time. just a stupid China politic, hope there come some hack for that.... also My Charge port just got stuck in winter, I have never ever had that problem on any of my old BMWs. my last Mini Cooper 2017 F56 has worked perfect every vinter for 7years with "gasoline" cover opening, this is so POOR on my MG4 XPower.. i had to dismount and manual open. not even the "eminency handle" unlock the charge port. and now the motor to close is broken. Damm them, and so poor service from MG is extraordinary POOR to., no support for that whatsoever. kind of regrets i actually buy the MG4 now. so simpelt things need to WORK every time.

Better software also the car needs to remember setting from last trip, totally stupid it reset every time. just a stupid China politic, hope there come some hack for that.... also My Charge port just got stuck in winter, I have never ever had that problem on any of my old BMWs. my last Mini Cooper 2017 F56 has worked perfect every vinter for 7years with "gasoline" cover opening, this is so POOR on my MG4 XPower.. i had to dismount and manual open. not even the "eminency handle" unlock the charge port. and now the motor to close is broken. Damm them, and so poor service from MG is extraordinary POOR to., no support for that whatsoever. kind of regrets i actually buy the MG4 now. so simpelt things need to WORK every time.
There is an emergency release for the charger plug locking mechanism, which is in the boot - but there is not an emergency release for the charge flap itself, which I think is what you are referring too - it sounds like the charge flap froze? The best remedy for that is hot air from a hair dryer.

I am not sure what you mean by the motor to close? There is no motorised closure of the charge flap. If you mean the locking pin in the charger plug, that does have the emergency release I mentioned in the boot (accessible behind a cover). Although locking and unlocking the car usually frees it if it gets stuck.

The lack of settings memory is due to EuroNCAP / WLTP rules and is not Chinese-driven. New cars tested since mid-2022 have to behave this way - that said MG could make it much easier to store and select a user profile at will.

When you say poor support I am guessing you contacted your dealer and they were no help?

Frozen chargeport door?

Do not start to pound or pry on the charging door, it needs to thaw to not breaking the locking mechanism.

Stuff I have tried that worked:

Start the car and set heat to high, put down the rear seats and let the car get proper toasty.

Not working for you?

Park the car in an under ground parking house for an hour and it wil open (especially if the car was god an warm inside when driven there in the first place).

One could also pull out the little emergency charge cable release cover in the trunk and use a hairdryer blowing hot air in trough the little cover (this is the fast solution but usually the cold one for you).

How to fix this?

Spray silicone spray into the DRY (important) locking mechanism (both parts) and get silicone on the rubber around the door to (do not spray silicone on painted surfaces as it's a pain to get off if needed). This was done at my local MG dealership after my charging door started to freeze shut/open (yes it can freeze open too).

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom