Yes or no????

Aimer66

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Please be gentle with my nervous noob question😬…

I have a trip to the middle of London coming up (I live in Cornwall - just) which is about 220 miles each way.

As the MG5 is VERY new to me should I risk taking it or take the wife’s gas guzzler?

Concerns - availability of charge points (as in if the are free), possible charger problems & getting stuck in traffic jams with possibly low charge (planning M5 then M4).

Any tips and advice welcome!

Thank you,

M.

I think that it depends on how nervous you are. If you take your time and relax on the journey you’ll be fine - especially with the added range of the 5 on tap. Planning is the key - try you trip in ‘ a better route planner’ app. If you’re really nervous it’s probably not worth the stress if you have an alternative. Ps. I don’t think you’ll find any free rapid chargers 🔌

Can’t speak from experience (won’t get car for a couple of weeks) but I asked similar question about traffic jams - apparently EVs are better than ICE cars in jams as main battery doesn’t run down fast when stationary.

As for chargers being available to use, try planning sites with multiple CCS connections to improve the odds. And have backup plans.

Do you mean free as in £ cost? Or free as in available to plug into and charge?

Are there any no cost rapids? Scotland maybe?

Aimer use zapmap or plugshare apps to find chargers that are available/working/nearby. They also have route planning options in them.

Yeh - I’m not going to wade through chargers on an app across the uk to see if any rapids are free - it was an open question as I don’t think any rapids in the uk are foc.

Yeh - I’m not going to wade through chargers on an app across the uk to see if any rapids are free - it was an open question as I don’t think any rapids in the uk are foc.
The ChargePlace Scotland rapids in Central Scotland - certainly Glasgow, North & South Lanarkshire - are still free. For now.

The Scottish chargers will start to charge again as soon as they get the issues with cards sorted. Could be days, could be weeks..

Hi there,

Please be gentle with my nervous noob question😬…

I have a trip to the middle of London coming up (I live in Cornwall - just) which is about 220 miles each way.

As the MG5 is VERY new to me should I risk taking it or take the wife’s gas guzzler?

Concerns - availability of charge points (as in if the are free), possible charger problems & getting stuck in traffic jams with possibly low charge (planning M5 then M4).

Any tips and advice welcome!

Thank you,

M.
I also live in Cornwall and would recommend the train! On the A30 there are a few charge points at Lifton (really useful but off the main drag) and the A303 has plenty of places. A stop around Yeovil on the way up and back should cover it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom