Yes you can drive through big puddles.

5teep

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I accidentally drove through one about twice as deep as this later on. I think it's only because of the weight of the car I kept traction. :)

I accidentally drove through one about twice as deep as this later on. I think it's only because of the weioght of the car I kept traction :)

Knocks my tiny puddle into a cocked hat!

Screenshot_20240205_192632_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240205_193006_Gallery.jpg

Have you seen this one? (The video should start in the right place, with the MG4.)

I'm reliably informed that the car is fine, though the owner has removed the personalised wrap, presumably to spare his blushes.

Keep an eye on the reg and give that a wide berth when it comes on the used market.

I mean, granted, it did it, but that cant have been very good for the car, long term?

Perhaps I'm not giving the cars designers and engineers the credit they deserve?

Keep an eye on the reg and give that a wide berth when it comes on the used market.

I mean, granted, it did it, but that cant have been very good for the car, long term?

Perhaps I'm not giving the cars designers and engineers the credit they deserve?

I'd be more worried about damp upholstery and carpets if the door seals leaked than long-term damage to the propulsion system. I mean, the car is designed to drive on wet roads, through shallower water and in pouring rain for hours, how much damage can 20 seconds in deeper water actually have done, that wouldn't show up relatively quickly?

There's a YouTube video of a guy drying out a Zoe that was caught (parked) in a flash flood for 12 hours. He drove it away with no warning lights appearing, and throughout the whole process there seem to have been no mechanical issues. It was all about drying the upholstery, soundproofing and so on, which was a real issue.

I mean, the car is designed to drive on wet roads, through shallower water and in pouring rain for hours, how much damage can 20 seconds in deeper water actually have done, that wouldn't show up relatively quickly?
I'm afraid that I can imagine a fair bit of damage. It's soaking, flooding water for tens of seconds as opposed to small splashes that run away quickly.

But maybe I'm excessively pessimistic, or overly dismissive of the effects of rain. Australia being the driest continent and all that.

I can see your point, but I think that any damage caused by that incident would show up relatively quickly - not necessary right there at the ford, but within days or at the most weeks.

And really, in Scotland it's not "small splashes that run away quickly," it hours of torrential rain and going through standing water two or three inches deep on a regular basis. The car doesn't seem to mind at all.

We also know that there are idiot EV drivers (mostly Teslas!) who take some glee in driving through Rufford ford and places like that.

Again, that should start in the right place. Most of the video is actually ICE vehicles getting hydrolocked. I think if this were known to carry a high risk of damaging an EV, these guys would give it up, but there's no sign of them doing so.

Last edited:
(Un)fortunately you will no longer be able to find out the wading ability of your car at Rufford Ford.

And the county council is planning to make the (currently temporary) closure permanent, much to the annoyance of a golf club owner whose course is further along that road, beyond the bend in the distance.

It seems other locals might also be annoyed by this; apparently it is a highly pleasurable activity to stand on the bridge (on the left hand side of the picture) and watch the potentially-suicidal behaviour of certain car and van drivers.

I would have thought a Bailey Bridge would be an option there. The ford isn't that wide and would be cheaper than building a proper bridge.

I've seen the ford very wide when it's flooded badly. I think they need works downstream to carry the excess water away, but I suppose they've looked at that and for some reason it isn't possible.

I've seen the ford very wide when it's flooded badly. I think they need works downstream to carry the excess water away, but I suppose they've looked at that and for some reason it isn't possible.
Probably down to cost, which I suppose is why the ford is there in the first place. :)

I only realised the other day that the channel opposite the bridge, where some cars can be seen driving in error, is actually the inflow rather than the outflow. So often when you see it full there's too little movement in the water to tell easily.

MG told me that their cars are tested to 1m of depth for 30 mins, it's buried in certification for the product.

I did 600mm in the LEAF and so far just 450mm in the MG5, still came over the bonnet!

Really?????

I know that Leafs are certified for 700mm, but people who asked about the MG4 were told, um, it's not certified for anything in particular, probably best not to go above the centre of the wheel, or the bottom of the door sill. Which is more or less what they advise for ICE cars.

Really?????

I know that Leafs are certified for 700mm, but people who asked about the MG4 were told, um, it's not certified for anything in particular, probably best not to go above the centre of the wheel, or the bottom of the door sill. Which is more or less what they advise for ICE cars.
It's the electricals that are certified to 1m sorry to confuse, they wouldn't specify water tightness of the door seals other than saying that they are 480mm above the road!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom