ZS EV charge flap / door broken - warranty is flaky.

andymgzs

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My charge flap has stopped latching closed and does not lock. It just stays open.

MG want to charge me £450 for a replacement.

Car still under warranty - why is this not covered?

Warranty is incredibly POOR?

Spray some wd40 into the latch. Latch could be frozen this time of year. Also make sure emergency release cable is not stuck. If it will not latch after that then it should be repaired under warranty

My charge flap has stopped latching closed and does not lock. It just stays open.

MG want to charge me £450 for a replacement.

Car still under warranty - why is this not covered?

Warranty is incredibly POOR?
What was there reason for not repairing it under warranty?

Probably falls under cosmetic trim which is 12 months.

It may be cosmetic but driving in rain with the flap flapping will cause many more problems.

This can be a common issue on the launch model. Also the breathing lamp no longer works on mine, another typical issue. The latch I think is on its way out. My dealer reckons he can replace it for free at 4 years old. We will see if that’s true when I rock up on the day.

I had the charging port also came off while opening it just like any other day and MG garage are quoting £457 for this fix!

The replacement hinge / door assembly was only about £35 at first, then suddenly the price just shot up !.
The front bumper cover needs removing, in order to gain access to the charging port door assembly.
Maybe this explains why the price is more than you expected ???.

I would challenge this being categorised as cosmetic trim.

The definition of cosmetic is:

“affecting only the appearance of something rather than its substance”

A door that allows access to the charge port is a functional item with a mechanism.

I don’t think it matters if it’s cosmetic trim or not. The charge door is listed is a specific item with only 12 months warranty.

Inners of the Gen1 ZS EV use to be concerned about the durability of the large pop up grill section, in order to access the charge port.
But it appears that the new light weight door on the face lift model is more vulnerable to breakage !.
This has been spoken about before, but I feel that the weakness is because the actual hinge has been designed with a honeycomb cross cross reinforcing, that is frankly not strong enough.
If the curved hinge was solid, I am confident this would not be an issue.
The hinge is very vulnerable when any excess load if placed with a down ward force, or more likely when the hinge is forced back wards.
When the door is open at about 90 degrees, if anybody brushes past it and it is over extended, it literally break its back across the weakest part of the hinge.
Usually closest to the base of mount.
When the first MG spares were made available, the replacement was about £35 if I remember correctly.
The last time I checked, this term had received a part number change and the price has increased by four times the original value.
This is due to its popularity of course.
Probably the same design as well 👎.

It’s a great business model to produce massively marked up prices on parts you know are failing due to inadequate design. Respect to MG.

I'm 100% sure in my case there is no wear/tear, pressure or accident etc involved. It came off in my hand one evening when opened for charging purpose. My suspect is that its hinge inside (behind from bumper) broke during normal driving conditions during day time.
I'd like to know through this forum if anyone had the charging lid/door hinge breakage without any accident, force or incident involved?

I also have a broken port it closes but doesn't lock because the pin has broken off mine has done 1000+ opening cycles as my car has done 85k miles. Is the MG cost for the part fitted? or just for the part

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom