ZS EV Electric Tailgate Problem

jeevesthestag

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,

I bought a ZS EV in May with an electric tailgate. Having posted on here before I have discovered that this does not come as standard and must have been retrofitted.
Someone previously mentioned that they were retrofitted as part of the Motorbility scheme.

The electric tailgate has stopped working and I am finding it almost impossible to fix. I have tried going back to Marshalls where I bought it from (unable to diagnose the problem), MG (not covered under warranty) and other local garages without any success.

I wonder if anyone has any experience of a retrofitted tailgate that might offer suggestions where I can get it fixed. I'm happy to travel if I can find someone who can guarantee it can be fixed (or, as a worst case scenario, removed.)

Thank you.

2 worst case scenarios is 1, fit back to standard 2, fit a new kit
personally get someone with some car electrical knowledge and trace the wiring and find fuses

A local auto electrician should be able to confirm / locate where the problem lies in about one hour ?.
First port of call is the electric motor that operates the tail gate.
Is there a feed and a good ground connection at the motor ?.
No feed or ground - Why ?.
Investigate why it has been lost, fuse blown or I imagine the system will have a switching relay built in - has it failed ?.
Continuity check done on the motor to establish if it has failed.
A temporary feed could be applied to the motor to see if it responds.
The boot opener is a third party “add on” kit and is unlikely to be controlled by any of the factory electrical systems.
It should be on a stand alone feed from the fuse box, I would have thought.
You may not get it fixed in one hour, but you will know what is causing the problem.

Thanks for the replies. Considering this comprehensive response. It baffles me why Marshalls or the local auto electrician was unable to resolve the problem. I'll ring around some other auto electricians.

Thanks for the replies. Considering this comprehensive response. It baffles me why Marshalls or the local auto electrician was unable to resolve the problem. I'll ring around some other auto electricians.
For a GOOD auto electrician this should be a simple “Gravy” job !.
Like most things, there are normal run of the mill trades people, and there are the great trades people, who want to provide a better service and go the extra mile to provide their customers with a great service that they are paying for.
If a so called auto spark is unable to track down a simple fault like this, then I don’t want them working on my cars thanks !.

Can you take a pic of your battery I wonder if they have taken supply from battery if so should have a inline fuse

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom