☹️ Electronic Parking Brake Stuck On ☹️

Ian MG5

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all
I took my car in for its first service today the dealership who were also replacing my rear discs and pads ( under warranty) at last to get ride of the awful noise they made when first moving off each day
All was well and good
I got the phone call at 3pm saying that they had done the service fitted the discs and pads
I sensed a “but”
Here it came
Apparently while having to reset the car’s computer to tell the hand brake that new pads had been fitted🤔
it had locked the hand brake on
Apparently it is a software issue
So the car is still at the dealership
They did offer me a courtesy car but I declined the offer as we have enough cars in the family
I hope it’s not going to be one of those jobs where it’s sat at the dealership for weeks
O well back to an ice car we go for a while ☹️
6D5C085B-0FAD-4A9E-A1A7-B34FE4BB1C8E.jpeg

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

when you get the car back, hopefully soon, it will be interesting to see if replacing the disc and pads stops the squealing.

Yep, not least as I'll be having a service in early Dec and I'll ask them to do mine if it cures the squeal in reverse. Mind you, it really doesn't bother me that much, it only seems to happen when first reversing off my drive, any reverse braking done later in the day seems to be OK.

Hopefully it’s a software thing and not the electric handbrake motors !.
We had one fail on our ZS EV ( Gen1 ) and we had a wait of about a month for it to get fixed.
It was recovered to a local dealer and it was stranded on the car park awaiting spares from China !.

Does this mean pad replacement cannot be a DIY activity?
As with my previous car a Prius, I would disconnect the 12v when working on the brakes so as not to confuse the system. Pumping the brakes with the 12v disconnected should put the pads back into their proper positions and reconnecting the 12v (after completion) shouldn't bring up any fault codes.
Sounds like the car has possibly detected low pressure in the ABS system and pumped the brakes right up to the discs.

On the rear of the ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) the rear hand brake callipers can be released, by removing the two bolts that secures the electric handbrake motor to the calliper, then then using the appropriate torx bit, it can be inserted into the back of the calliper to manually release the holding pressure on the pads.
I watched the A.A. Guy release ours !.

Hi all
Quick update
The parking brake actuator has failed ☹️
The replacement is UK stock so will be here either Saturday or Tuesday because of the Bank Holiday on Monday for our Queens funeral (God bless her)
So fingers crossed it’s Saturday 🤞
Cheers for all your replies
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Hi all
Quick update
The parking brake actuator has failed ☹️
The replacement is UK stock so will be here either Saturday or Tuesday because of the Bank Holiday on Monday for our Queens funeral (God bless her)
So fingers crossed it’s Saturday 🤞
Cheers for all your replies
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Wow ......... You are lucky that MG UK spares had stock !.
We waited four weeks for one for our ZS EV ( Gen 1 ).
If I remember correctly, it was only about £60.

Earlier today I went to move the car from the drive and each time I selected a "gear" it would go forward or back a tiny bit then the brake would come on. I could turn it off manually (i.e. the light would go out) but it would just go on again next time I moved.

Turned the car off/on a couple of times and it was OK. It is due it's first service shortly, maybe I'll mention it in advance, particularly if it happens again.

NB auto braking was turned off

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom