Octopus go
Electric
Standing charge 26.82p per day
Unit price 29.82p
00:30 to 04:30 unit price 7.5p
Gas
Standing charge 27.22p per day
Unit price 7.28p
I am on octopus flex (just a touch higher prices but still cheaper than my old supplier) for the first month until everything is changed over with suppliers
I was told that they then review your bill after 45 days then every 3 months
Hope this info helps
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I'm dreading August as my fixed tariffs expire. My current Octopus Go tariff is 15.33p Day, 5p for the 4 hour window and 25p daily standing charge.

My gas is 2.82p and 21p daily standing charge.

🙄😪

I'm dreading August as my fixed tariffs expire. My current Octopus Go tariff is 15.33p Day, 5p for the 4 hour window and 25p daily standing charge.
My gas is 2.82p and 21p daily standing charge.

🙄😪
WOW
That’s going to be a big increase ☹️
My old supplier was £94 a month gas and electric
After April they wanted £208 so I feel your pain in the wallet 😂
That’s why I went with octopus £28 saving and maybe more savings charging car at night at cheap rate even more savings when my solar panels and battery are installed
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Did a quick check on a couple of comparison sites as I have just received details of my new Octopus Go tariff from April.

It seems that none of the comparison sites I have tried so far are willing to quote prices. Wonder if its because no supplier wants to take on new customers with the way prices are currently going.

Hi
I tried through comparison websites and even the octopus website
Eventually I found the phone number and called them up
The chap I spoke to said they are taking on new customers but they have to call them up as they have things that they have to tell you
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

You'd be very hard pushed to find a better time of use tariff right now than Octopus Go.

If you don't want/need a time of use tariff then there's no point switching as you'll just pay the same price (at the price cap).

It's hit the comparison sites hard.

JUST IN TIME !!!!

I also just completed my move to Go last week and on the same rates as you as both of us are in Yorkshire.

Just been onto the website and the Go prices have jumped to 33.96/kWh and daily SC of 48.26p.

I am on Octopus Go December 2021 v1, the new version is Octopus Go March 2022 v1

You'd be very hard pushed to find a better time of use tariff right now than Octopus Go.

If you don't want/need a time of use tariff then there's no point switching as you'll just pay the same price (at the price cap).

It's hit the comparison sites hard.
Not exactly true - if you are on the variable rate with your current supplier and you switch to octopus with someone’s referral code - you get £50 credit, so you’re basically saving yourself £50 by switching to the octopus variable tarriff (which can be done I’ve asked them as I’ve switched some mates over to them!).

If you want to switch to their variable, you need to call them to do it - you can’t do it online - and if you want a referral code to save yourself £50 you can use mine (gray-fern-7875) or anyone else’s!

You just need to quote it on the call ;) when you sign up you can then switch your friends and family over via your code and you get £50 credit too - but I’d only do it if you’re on the variable, or looking to go to octopus Go or go faster or intelligent (even if the octopus go rates went up today!)

Not exactly true - if you are on the variable rate with your current supplier and you switch to octopus with someone’s referral code - you get £50 credit, so you’re basically saving yourself £50 by switching to the octopus variable tarriff (which can be done I’ve asked them as I’ve switched some mates over to them!).

If you want to switch to their variable, you need to call them to do it - you can’t do it online - and if you want a referral code to save yourself £50 you can use mine (gray-fern-7875) or anyone else’s!

You just need to quote it on the call ;) when you sign up you can then switch your friends and family over via your code and you get £50 credit too - but I’d only do it if you’re on the variable, or looking to go to octopus Go or go faster or intelligent (even if the octopus go rates went up today!)
thanks mate applied the referral today on you code. it was accepted you should get the £50

thanks mate applied the referral today on you code. it was accepted you should get the £50
Not a problem! £50 your way! £50 my way! Saves everyone money on the variable (or go, or go faster etc). Thanks for using that!

Basically you’ll be paying a minimum of £50 less with octopus now, compared to the standard variable you were on before with another company as the rates are all the same. It makes so much sense!! May as well get something more out of it! Also if you go onto Octopus Go or Octopus Go Faster, obviously you get the cheaper night tariff of 7.5p/kWh.

Also - If you refer enough mates, the referrals should be able to pay your electric for the year (if not longer!) so better in the long run! Also octopus electric 100% renewable and also customer service is class!!

My favourite thing - you can change your hold music to a song you prefer, rather than the standard hold music - although I really enjoyed their standard music too!! 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Not a problem! £50 your way! £50 my way! Saves everyone money on the variable (or go, or go faster etc). Thanks for using that!

Basically you’ll be paying a minimum of £50 less with octopus now, compared to the standard variable you were on before with another company as the rates are all the same. It makes so much sense!! May as well get something more out of it! Also if you go onto Octopus Go or Octopus Go Faster, obviously you get the cheaper night tariff of 7.5p/kWh.

Also - If you refer enough mates, the referrals should be able to pay your electric for the year (if not longer!) so better in the long run! Also octopus electric 100% renewable and also customer service is class!!

My favourite thing - you can change your hold music to a song you prefer, rather than the standard hold music - although I really enjoyed their standard music too!! 😂😂😂
yea Octopus is great service I was with ovo absolutely appalling.

How long did the switch to Go take people. I switched to Octopus last week and they were immediately getting half hourly readings so I called to push the change through as they put you on the variable tariff until the Go goes live. I heard nothing for days and still on variable so emailed them a couple of days ago and still nothing. The price has jumped up now by over 4pkwh outside the go hours and the standing is up from 24p to 41p.

If they don't honour the quote when I signed up the cynic in me would wonder if they delayed putting me on Go until the price increase had happened?

How long did the switch to Go take people. I switched to Octopus last week and they were immediately getting half hourly readings so I called to push the change through as they put you on the variable tariff until the Go goes live. I heard nothing for days and still on variable so emailed them a couple of days ago and still nothing. The price has jumped up now by over 4pkwh outside the go hours and the standing is up from 24p to 41p.

If they don't honour the quote when I signed up the cynic in me would wonder if they delayed putting me on Go until the price increase had happened?
14 days that's the cooling off period that thay have to comply with. They should have given you a change over date. mine is 14th April once you become a customer you can switch to Go.

14 days that's the cooling off period that thay have to comply with. They should have given you a change over date. mine is 14th April once you become a customer you can switch to Go.
Yeah they did and I have switched over. But they switch you onto the variable tariff and you cannot move onto go until they are communicating with your smart meter with half hourly readings. The guy on the phone who put my switch through told me that whilst this can take up to 14 days that it usually happens pretty much on day 1. He said chevk the app and if you see half hourly readings call them up and they will put you on go.

I called and was told yep we've processed that and will be in touch? Not heard anything since.

So - you have 14 days cooling off period when you switch from your current supplier (I think mine was 17 actually) then I moved to the variable when I was accepted by octopus as a customer - as I’d already pre registered for go, as soon as I’d been accepted they began communicating with my smart meter.

They say it can take up to 14 days to see how the communication is - so anytime in this 14 days. I was a bit worried mine wouldn’t work as I’ve got a smets1 meter (updated by DCC though). BUT I had a shock! 2 days after switching to octopus, they switched me to go! So it only took a day and a bit me - but I’ve heard tales of it taking longer.

Good thing to do also is get the ‘Bright’ app - as it Callao reads your smart meter data, so should mean that there won’t be an issue with The time of use tariffs!

You tend to get a bit obsessed though of keeping your usage down! Octopus compare app is good too - that’ll compare your daily usage with different octopus tarrifs such as variable, go, intelligent etc based on your actual usage! Premium version allows you to put in custom tariffs too! So I am able to compare what I’m spending now compared to what I would have been spending on British Gas!

Below image shows a ‘normal day’ with no car charging, just usage shift to the cheap electric times (washing machine & dishwasher set to start at 00:30). If I charge during this time, the savings are even greater compared to what I would have been paying on British Gas! It also shows you your base load! I’m trying to get that as small as I can - basically I turn the house lights off at the fuse box when we all leave for the day - as we have the hue lights in the house they use electric and add to the base load even when they are ‘off’. Useful when we’re in the house, but may as well turn it all Off when we aren’t!

Attachments

• 4E9A5F25-C785-4FD2-86EB-25ED97583DFC.png
    4E9A5F25-C785-4FD2-86EB-25ED97583DFC.png
    689 KB · Views: 119
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom