๐Ÿ’กMG5 REAR INTERIOR LIGHT ๐Ÿ’ก

Hi
I totally agree it should have been there from factory, it was dark in the back but even darker when I had the windows limo tinted
I didnโ€™t take any photos of install as I was trying to get it done before the rain came๐Ÿ˜‚
Just put your fingers at the front of the interior light and pull it towards you in an arc (spring loaded at front clips at rear of light)
There are 2 black wires to each bulb I just snipped them and soldered them together then put them in terminal blocks just for a bit more security
At the light I was fitting I just measured central location marked the hole to cut
Then very carefully cut the hole with a sharp Stanley knife
Connected the wires to the light fitting with two insulated femal spade connectors
Then job done
Hope this helps
I will try n take photos when weather breaks again
๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
I assume this comes on at same time as front light? Dims the same, etc? Does it come on when either the driver/passenger light buttons pressed? Can it be operated separately?

Amanda Seyfried I Have Questions GIF by PBS SoCal

I assume this comes on at same time as front light? Dims the same, etc? Does it come on when either the driver/passenger light buttons pressed? Can it be operated separately?

In answer to your question yes to all, if it's been done the same as the way I do it, which has basically been explained by the OP, if you have a look on youtube there is a chap that does a light upgrade on a ZS and he gives good detailed instructions.

Yes works and dims like front light
It is wired to passenger side front light
It can be turned of fully by the switch on the new light
I havenโ€™t wired it to a constant live as I donโ€™t want to forget itโ€™s on and flatten the 12 volt battery

Iโ€™m totally interested in fitting a rear interior lightโ€ฆ.
Just found this on eBay, would the wiring of this work? Three wires, positive, negative and switched (door)โ€ฆ.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-36LE...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Iโ€™m totally interested in fitting a rear interior lightโ€ฆ.
Just found this on eBay, would the wiring of this work? Three wires, positive, negative and switched (door)โ€ฆ.
Hi
Yes it would fit the one I have fitted has 3 wires I just used the positive and negative
I looked at this light myself but I wanted a more flush factory look

Hi
Yes it would fit the one I have fitted has 3 wires I just used the positive and negative
I looked at this light myself but I wanted a more flush factory look
You would only need to connect the Neg & Pos if you follow the you tube video above.

Happy new year all
Just watched the video lovemyev posted on the zs
The light is the same as in the mg5
I only cut the wires on the passenger side so if needed the rear light can be put on from the front passenger side without the drivers light being on just in case the rear passengers need a light on
So the front passenger light would be on as well as the rear light
The drivers light works independently so it doesnโ€™t affect the driver if the passengers lights are on
I soldered the wires (but this is not necessary) together before using terminal blocks

Happy new year all
Just watched the video lovemyev posted on the zs
The light is the same as in the mg5
I only cut the wires on the passenger side so if needed the rear light can be put on from the front passenger side without the drivers light being on just in case the rear passengers need a light on
So the front passenger light would be on as well as the rear light
The drivers light works independently so it doesnโ€™t affect the driver if the passengers lights are on
I soldered the wires (but this is not necessary) together before using terminal blocks
Hi Ian
I was thinking of doing the same mod but is it not possible to take 3 wires from the original light to give the passengers the option too switch their light independently.
noticed your in Barnsley bought my MG5 from MG Barnsley beginning of Nov .

Hi Ian
I was thinking of doing the same mod but is it not possible to take 3 wires from the original light to give the passengers the option too switch their light independently.
Hi
Yes you probably can attach the third wire to give the choice of the rear light being switched independently but I wasnโ€™t too bothered about that as I donโ€™t have many back seat passengers (kids have there own cars) I just wanted a light in the back
Yes I was very fortunate to get my car from mg Barnsley
I just googled mg dealerships in a 50 mile radius of Barnsley
Cars 2 was the last on the list and they had 2 in stock ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป(23/9/21)
So that was me sorted no waiting list ๐Ÿ˜‚
Not only that I got it just before the fuel shortage ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Which one did you get
Mine is exclusive in white long range ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Hi Ian
Yes it is. Do what I did and cut into the supply cables feeding the front unit. The thick black cable is the negative. The green/yellow is the permanent 12V positive. The solid green cable is the 12V positive switched by the doors.

Hi
Yes you probably can attach the third wire to give the choice of the rear light being switched independently but I wasnโ€™t too bothered about that as I donโ€™t have many back seat passengers (kids have there own cars) I just wanted a light in the back
Yes I was very fortunate to get my car from mg Barnsley
I just googled mg dealerships in a 50 mile radius of Barnsley
Cars 2 was the last on the list and they had 2 in stock ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป(23/9/21)
So that was me sorted no waiting list ๐Ÿ˜‚
Not only that I got it just before the fuel shortage ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Which one did you get
Mine is exclusive in white long range ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Mines white also, wanted the exclusive long range in white but none available so had to make do with the SR.I was frightened to wait because I was part exchanging our Leaf and once the new cars would be coming through again the second hand market will probably drop.

Mines white also, wanted the exclusive long range in white but none available so had to make do with the SR.I was frightened to wait because I was part exchanging our Leaf and once the new cars would be coming through again the second hand market will probably drop.
Yes things had to be done quickly
Otherwise we would have been in the long waiting list but I wouldnโ€™t go back to an ice car

How deep is the gap between headlining and roof? Would it fit a unit the same as the front one?

Some of the VW rear lights look good too

View attachment 6143View attachment 6144
The headlining drops down for the front unit so is deep at that point. I cut into it about 12 inch forward of the rear headrests. From memory the depth would be about 18mm at this point if you also cut out the foam stuck to the metal of the roof. That's why I put in a low profile surface light that I found on Amazon. There is only about a 7mm cavity to fish cables through. I used an endoscope and I could see the light through the head lining for direction.

Last edited:
The headlining drops down for the front unit so is deep at that point. I cut into it about 12 inch forward of the rear headrests. From memory the depth would be about 18mm at this point if you also cut out the foam stuck to the metal of the roof. That's why I put in a low profile surface light that I found on Amazon. There is only about a 7mm cavity to fish cables through. I used an endoscope and I could see the light through the head lining for direction.
Cheers - had a feeling the depth wouldnโ€™t be there. Even on models Iโ€™ve seen from other countries with a rear light, they had a sunroof so possibly a lower headlining than UK spec.

Cheers - had a feeling the depth wouldnโ€™t be there. Even on models Iโ€™ve seen from other countries with a rear light, they had a sunroof so possibly a lower headlining than UK spec.
Hi
I pushed a long thin sewing needle through the headlining to see what the depth was before I did any cutting
It took a lot of the guess work out of it

Hi
I pushed a long thin sewing needle through the headlining to see what the depth was before I did any cutting
It took a lot of the guess work out of it
What is depth of the light unit that you have fitted? You have obviously found a good solution to a problem that has been discussed on this forum before.

Last edited:
I have been looking myself but trying to avoid the flat LED panels as these radiate light in all directions over quite a large cone. This would tend to be some interference to the driver either by reflection or visible in his mirror. Still looking for something a little more focussed. The alternative would be two lights immediately above the rear passenger doors, just trying to remember which car I saw that configuration in.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom